PDA

View Full Version : Blurry lines

thedrifter
05-21-07, 08:50 AM
Blurry lines <br />
The Corps has tightened restrictions on tattoos, but are the regs clear enough? <br />
By Gidget Fuentes - gfuentes@militarytimes.com <br />
Posted : May 28, 2007 <br />
<br />
Staff Sgt. Ryan Walker thought...

thedrifter
05-21-07, 08:51 AM
Adding some clarity
-
Posted : May 28, 2007

It’s been two months since the Corps banned certain large tattoos on arms and legs. The rules protect Marines who already have those tattoos.

But based on interviews with Marines at various commands, the new policy is still vague. Even manpower officials at Quantico, Va., who hold the final say on what’s in and what’s out, said that misunderstanding and rumors about the new policy have led many commands to go overboard in trying to implement it.

The answers to the following questions are based on information from manpower officials.

Q. I heard that the Marine Corps is banning any and all tattoos that can be seen when I’m wearing my PT shorts and T-shirt. True?

A. No. There is no outright tattoo prohibition. Tattoos are still allowed — but with some limitations. So if you haven’t inked your arms or legs yet, keep the new rule in mind: You can’t cover your arms or legs in full-, half- or quarter-sleeve tattoos. Any future tattoos on your arms below the mid-biceps to the wrist, or legs below mid-thigh to the ankle, can’t be very large — and smaller tattoos in those areas are limited, too. Tattoos on your chest, back, stomach, shoulders, hips and other spots continue to be allowed — and you can ink as much as you want — provided those aren’t sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-American, anti-social, gang-related, or related to extremist groups or organizations, according to the existing policy.

Q. What’s “too big”? Is there a maximum percentage of skin that we’re allowed to cover with ink?

A. That will be in the eye of the beholder — your command — in many cases. The tattoo rules don’t specify what the Corps considers a “very big tattoo” or artwork that “covers or almost covers” a limb, nor does it specify the maximum size or surface of allowable tattoos, a surprise considering the Corps’ broad uniform regulations dictate some rules by fractions of an inch. Officials at Manpower and Reserve Affairs, when pressed by Marine Corps Times, wouldn’t provide more specificity about allowable or prohibited sizes and amounts of ink, and they haven’t specified at what point someone’s tattoos put them out of regs.

Q. What constitutes a full sleeve? A half sleeve? A quarter sleeve?

A. To some tattoo purists, a full-up sleeve is just what it sounds like: A complete covering of a limb with artwork, often with color and intricate designs, from the shoulder to the wrist. Half-sleeve tattoos generally cover and wrap around an upper arm above their elbow or forearm. Quarter-sleeve tattoos are smaller and sometimes cover one side of that part of the arm or leg. But note this: The new tattoo policy doesn’t specify in inches what each of those is. So if you think you have one, you likely will have lots of explaining and convincing to do.

Q. Should all tattoos be documented?

A. Officials at Manpower and Reserve Affairs wouldn’t provide any detailed definitions, other than what’s stated in MarAdmin 198/07. So it’s likely that your tattoo will be seen in one of two ways: It’s a sleeve tattoo so it must be documented by your unit and thus grandfathered, and any more similar tattoos would be prohibited. Or it’s not a sleeve, but because it covers a larger area of your arm, it falls into the “smaller tattoos that cover or almost cover” your arm, so you should get it documented on a Page 11 entry in your Service Record Book. Less likely is a third option: It’s not inked enough to fall under either, so it’s neither banned nor grandfathered. Don’t bet on that, though.

Q. One of my friends told me her unit was documenting everyone’s tattoos, regardless of where they are located, and they had to get down to their skivvies to be photographed and documented.

A. The new policy calls for documentation of sleeves — and only sleeves. It states: “Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) will be grandfathered. The Marine’s command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine’s SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.” So tattoos within the regulations, regardless of whether they are visible in PT gear, aren’t supposed to be documented, according to manpower officials.

Q. I’m in the process of finishing a sleeve. Can I still get grandfathered?

A. The new policy took effect April 1, but it requires all units to complete their grandfathering and documentation before July 1. You might get a break in that time gap, depending on where you are assigned and when your command is documenting tattoos, although some might consider any new ink on your sleeve prohibited. But, according to the Marine Corps Uniform Board Web site: “Marines will have until 1 July 2007 to request the grandfather authority.”

Q. I’m hoping to finish a large tattoo across my back and shoulders. Should I be getting grandfathered for that?

A. You’re fine to finish that one. As long as that tattoo doesn’t extend below your biceps or up your neck — so it’s not seen when you wear your T-shirt — you are still within the existing regs, and the new policy doesn’t affect you. Note: You don’t have to document that tattoo. The revised rule does not require every existing hidden or visible tattoo to be documented, despite what some commands have done.

Q. I’ve documented my tattoos on my arm at my current command, which seems to have no problem with them. It’s not a full or quarter sleeve, just several tattoos on my biceps and forearms I’ve collected over several years. I’m due to PCS this summer; what will happen if my next command thinks these tats are a problem?

A. Your current command sized your artwork as a collection of tattoos that fall under the new rules, although it’s uncertain whether it had to get grandfathered. Manpower officials concede such worry:

“If you’re unsure, document the tattoo. The Page 11 entry is meant to protect the Marine; it is not punitive.” Any decisions on questionable artwork will be mediated by manpower officials at Quantico.

— Gidget Fuentes

Ellie