PDA

View Full Version : My second week as an 0351 at SOI

Accord
05-19-07, 12:20 PM
Wow. That's all i've got to say. Wow.

This week was spectacular. On Monday we went to the K-305 range and all the 0351's (about 20 of us) got to do our first live fire shoot with the SMAW(Shoulder Fired Multi-purpose Assault Weapon) rocket launcher, we each got to shoot 5 HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) rockets and each rocket costs around $7,000, so the US government spent well over a half million dollars on just that one exercise at the range.

We shot 3 rockets in the day and 2 of them at night. Happiness is not a belt fed weapon, happiness is an 83mm high explosive rocket. There is no recoil on them, but there is a very aggressive weight transfer.
The SMAW is the loudest weapon in the Marine Corps infantry at 180 decibles. We were on the range and I was about to shoot my first rocket, the instructor screams out "BACKBLAST AREA ALL SECURE" and then he screams "ROCKET" and that's when I was supposed to fire, my heart was pumping so fast and I had so much adrenaline flowing through my body.

I depressed the launch lever, then pulled the trigger and immediately felt this insane concussion which seemed like an earthquake. If you've ever seen a cheesy 80's movie that tries to simulate an earthquake by shaking the camera, that's what happens to your eyesight when you fire the SMAW. Then you'll watch the tracer on the rocket travel down range at 950fps and impact an old tank or APC and there will be a massive explosion. I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to a bunch of haji's shooting at my fellow Marines from a 3rd story window in Iraq.

We fired 3 rockets during the day and then 2 more at night, for the day shoot we had ACOG's mounted on the SMAW's but at night we put on 17 Charlie nightvision scopes. Shooting them at night through the 17 Charlie nightvision scopes is just... I can't even put it into words.

I cannot believe the Marine Corps is paying me to do this, I just can't believe it.

On Tuesday we began demolitions and pretty much spent the entire week learing about C4, RDX, TNT, Det Cord, and just a ton of other explosives, their nomenclature, and everything necessary to setup a firing circuit and a whatnot. The math involved in this is ridiculous, everyday is basically like going to an 18 hour long math class. We'll PT in the morning and then go to class. It's not easy math either, this is really difficult stuff that I haven't seen since calculas in high school. On Monday we have an exam and then Tuesday we go out to the demolitions range and we'll basically just blow stuff up all day long with all sorts of fun stuff.

Being a Marine is so awesome and the hell that you go through at boot camp is so worth it in the end.

Books
05-19-07, 12:34 PM
Wow Marine, it seems like you disliked the 1st week of SOI, but it seems to be paying off! This sounds to fascinating! Excellent moto!

Accord
05-19-07, 12:39 PM
Wow Marine, it seems like you disliked the 1st week of SOI, but it seems to be paying off! This sounds to fascinating! Excellent moto!
Common skills (the first 3 weeks of SOI) absolutely sucks the big one, you're treated like a 4th phase recruit instead of a US Marine, but after MOS breakdown things get so much better.

USMC90
05-19-07, 12:39 PM
Those SMAW's sound like a frickin' awesome time. Thanks for the great post once again.

I can only imagine how fun shooting a SMAW must be.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=710862654

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=610776404

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1588650746

I'm sure a camera doesn't do the sound of it firing justice.

Achped
05-19-07, 12:45 PM
John, I appreciate the calls and all the help you've been giving me. I'm glad you're enjoying SOI.

When you get to the fleet, I'll be a recruit!

Marine84
05-19-07, 01:45 PM
Wow. That's all i've got to say. Wow.

:)

Happiness is not a belt fed weapon, happiness is an 83mm high explosive rocket.

You just gave me that "funny little feeling"!

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to a bunch of haji's shooting at my fellow Marines from a 3rd story window in Iraq.

Just remember to say "SMILE MTHRFKR"

I cannot believe the Marine Corps is paying me to do this, I just can't believe it.

LOL! Some of the rest of us couldn't believe it either.

Being a Marine is so awesome and the hell that you go through at boot camp is so worth it in the end.

From the mouthes of devil pups! OOHRAH Marine! SEMPER FI!

sec9
05-19-07, 02:07 PM
That sounds awesome.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-19-07, 02:39 PM
It wasn't that long ago that we thought the SMAW was pretty useless and on the way out. Things have changed with the conflict in Iraq. The HEDP is pretty cool stuff. It shouldn't be too long before you have the ESMAW with NE to play with.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/future-weapons/weapons/zone2/e-smaw.html

outlaw3179
05-19-07, 03:28 PM
Good Sh*t Accord ...Dont lose that MOTTO.

zackmerc
05-19-07, 07:43 PM
Do 0351's also get to use the Javelin? Or, is that strictly limited to the 0352's? That Javelin looks cool and does a lot of damage but I heard is weights about 60 pounds.

JordanB
05-20-07, 04:27 AM
I'm trying to be an 0351, but my recruiter told me that since im switching my contract from reserve to active duty that I will now be concidered a 03xx, meaning that im not guarenteed to be an assault man. How did you get the job?

zackmerc
05-20-07, 10:02 AM
I think all Infantryman receive their specific MOS at the third week of their training. I believe the first 3 weeks is called Common Skills Course. They next five weeks are Rifleman Course, Machine Gunner Course, Assault Man Course, Mortarman Course, Missileman Course.

bgsuwoody
06-15-07, 01:01 PM
Going to bump this one too, with all the SOI questions lately!