PDA

View Full Version : Telling People you enlisted

RecruitRunner
05-18-07, 11:47 PM
Hi , does anyone have a problem telling their friends and family about enlisting in the Marine Corp? I 've told a few people and they act like its not a good choice for a colllege graduate but they still support me. I have been tight lipped about this from the very begining, my parents don't know niether any of my close friends. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of enlisting in the Marine Corp. But I feel like the general public sees it as a place for trouble teenagers and not a place for a educated young man.

FutureMarine916
05-19-07, 12:02 AM
Yeah, i understand what you mean...there are far too many people out there that have a bad view of the military. i bet that is due to the fact that they themselfs could never handle the challanges we will have to face...We have to be proud of the choices we make. you know all this im sure.
Just stay motivated, and remember that it dose not matter what anyone says...its your life bro.

davblay
05-19-07, 12:06 AM
Hi , does anyone have a problem telling their friends and family about enlisting in the Marine Corp? I 've told a few people and they act like its not a good choice for a colllege graduate but they still support me. I have been tight lipped about this from the very begining, my parents don't know niether any of my close friends. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of enlisting in the Marine Corp. But I feel like the general public sees it as a place for trouble teenagers and not a place for a educated young man.

To start with, thank you for enlisting in the Corps. Next----how in the world did you get the feeling that the general public sees it as a place for troubled teenagers? Since its birth, in 1775, we have been the proudest branch of service this country has. Our history speaks for itself! We kneel to no one and bow our heads only to GOD almighty! We are the best of the best! If everyone could be a Marine then we would be no better then any other branches! But we hold our standards high and proud! No other branch will claim the title for life, at least not in the public! You are a 24 year old man that has used your head to get what you want out of life and you have decided that the Corps can help you reach that goal!

Son, every person on this site, men, women, Poolees and the like are proud to be here and proud to have served in the Corps, or had family members served! We are the largest brotherhood in the world! We are a breed apart from the rest, and proud of it! So hold your head high, tell the world and get your friends to sign up and go with you! You might be surprised to see how many would go, if you asked them!

Good luck man, and do what your heart tells you, but your parents need to know what you have on your mind! What are you going to do, tell them your going away, on vacation, for three months in South Carolina?

Welcome to the site and post any questions you may have! Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

davblay
05-19-07, 12:10 AM
Ther are those that lead-----and those that follow----- in the Corps you either lead, follow, or get out of the way!! ;)

CantWaitToSign
05-19-07, 12:11 AM
Yeah I get the "Wait I thought you get good grades in school?" and I say back "yeah I do..." so then the people are like "well then why are you joining the Marine Corps?" I just laugh at that question...most people just don't understand haha.

davblay
05-19-07, 12:13 AM
you get my PM, Matt?

sec9
05-19-07, 12:31 AM
Yea man same here. I live in a pretty nice area too where pretty much no one enlists in the military. And if they do go its like an Academy. When they here Im joing the Marines there just like What!? whatever it doesnt bother me to much though.

osborned
05-19-07, 07:10 AM
I'm a bit older, and work in an office environment, so my range of reactions is a bit different. Three of the four vice presidents of the school I work at are ex-military of some sort, one Coast Guard, one Army, and my direct VP is a former USMC Major. That alone tells me that there's something you can get out of the military that's applicable to a civilian career.

Because of this, most of the reactions I get tend to be positive ones. People tend to answer with things like, "Oh, you'll finish your degree and get out, then come back and run this place." Which is fairly encouraging.

On the other hand, it IS a college, so I get the occasional extremely liberal person who tells me I'm on my way to get brainwashed. I tend to ignore them.

I guess the point is that your reactions and encouragement will tend to be affected by the people around you and how they got to where they are now. Your friends probably won't back you up unless they've got military families, and your teachers the same. However, once you get into the real world you'll find plenty of very successfull ex-military people who will encourage you all the way, knowing that it will do for you the world of good it did for them.

ssgtt32
05-19-07, 07:51 AM
Son, every person on this site, men, women, Poolees and the like are proud to be here and proud to have served in the Corps, or had family members served! We are the largest brotherhood in the world! We are a breed apart from the rest, and proud of it! So hold your head high, tell the world and get your friends to sign up and go with you! You might be surprised to see how many would go, if you asked them!

Dav, I agree!

Maurice

JordanB
05-19-07, 10:34 AM

I know exactly how you feel bro, most of my friends told me it was pretty dumb signing up for active duty, and the worst part is that since my folks live on an oil compound in saudi arabia I cant even wear Marine Corps stuff or talk about it that much when I visit. Ive got a few friends who are soldiers and Marines, they said that it gets easier once you actually go through basic and your friends/family see who you are, the hardest part (besides the actual bootcamp) is being a poolee I think, you have to just stay though and remember that if becomeing a Marine was easy it probably wouldent be worth it.

CantWaitToSign
05-19-07, 11:05 AM
you get my PM, Matt?

Yes Sir! Thank you and you are now on my buddy list as well!:thumbup:

mrob03
05-19-07, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't it be a wise choice to tell your parents? I really do not agree with not telling your parents about enlisting. If you are 18, you make your decisions and go with what you want to do. Your parents might disagree with you and they will probably cause headaches for weeks to come, but the sooner you tell them, the sooner they will accept it and realize you are doing this for yourself and that you are very passionate about this.

I told my mom and dad and we had very long talks. In the end though, it was worth it because now, it is all out in the open and you don't have to avoid the situation everytime it comes up. My mom also seems to be making an effort to learn more about the military in general and she asks a lot of questions, which is really nice to see.

CantWaitToSign
05-19-07, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't it be a wise choice to tell your parents? I really do not agree with not telling your parents about enlisting. If you are 18, you make your decisions and go with what you want to do. Your parents might disagree with you and they will probably cause headaches for weeks to come, but the sooner you tell them, the sooner they will accept it and realize you are doing this for yourself and that you are very passionate about this.

I told my mom and dad and we had very long talks. In the end though, it was worth it because now, it is all out in the open and you don't have to avoid the situation everytime it comes up. My mom also seems to be making an effort to learn more about the military in general and she asks a lot of questions, which is really nice to see.

HAHA yeah I wish my mom was like that. I signed the papers last November and she still threatens me with the "Yeah you think you're going to bootcamp but I promise you I'll run over your legs before that day happens" hahaha

RecruitRunner
05-19-07, 11:12 AM
Thankyou everyone for their input. Its good to know I'm not the only one going through this. Yah davblay I've been thinking when I should tell my parents. I'm not sure weather it will be one week or one month before I leave for boot camp. I got four months to think about it. I wish I could tell my friends about this but I think there'd be some negative response.I'm begining to think the only people who understand me are Marines and Poolees.

davblay
05-19-07, 11:26 AM
Thankyou everyone for their input. Its good to know I'm not the only one going through this. Yah davblay I've been thinking when I should tell my parents. I'm not sure weather it will be one week or one month before I leave for boot camp. I got four months to think about it. I wish I could tell my friends about this but I think there'd be some negative response.I'm begining to think the only people who understand me are Marines and Poolees.
Never under estimate the love of your parents and friends! Your true friends will accept the fact, as is! If they are not your friends, then it doesn't matter anyway! You will aquire friends in the Corps that will defend your life with their very own, when needed! These will be men. some of them , that you just met or have not met yet! You have already signed the papers and DEP'd in, so you have made your decision. If your friends want to throw you a going away party, go for it, but if they want to tease and ridicule you, then fug them, they are not your friends, really! My father always said, "A FRIEND IS A FRIEND IS A FRIEND"! Make sense?

Again, good luck and go for the Scarlet and gold, Poolee!

Accord
05-19-07, 12:22 PM
Pretty soon you'll have 175,000 brothers. If someone doesn't support your decision to become a US Marine, then ****'em.

Marine84
05-19-07, 01:51 PM
Pretty soon you'll have 175,000 brothers. If someone doesn't support your decision to become a US Marine, then ****'em.

Yep...........................he's one of US now!

Qwarkeh
05-19-07, 04:39 PM
You're in a different situation than I am. I'm 17 and won't be 18 until December. Right now my parents are giving me negative support. Each time the mention of war or enlistment comes up they just give me a face of disgust and words of discouragement.

Like Sec9, I also live in an area where virtually no one enlists. The only ones going into the military go to the military academies, and everyone else goes to college. Many of our parents are very well off and have six figure incomes. For most of my life I have had the mentality that those who enlisted were brainwashed losers. Then it hit me. The only reason why my father has the type income he has is because of the sacrifices of selfless people. Enlisting will be my apology for my narrominded way of thinking. My parents will most likely understand my reasons one day.

Here's the bottom line: Nine months from now I'll be free to make my own desicions. Hopefully they will understand by then.

zackmerc
05-19-07, 07:40 PM
I thought the army was a place to put troubled teenagers and delinquents. You shouldn't be afraid to tell people you enlisted. It differs from where you came from. Here in Hippie-Ultra-Radical-Liberal Los Angeles, joining the military is frowned upon. Some of my stupid school teachers protest the recruiters from coming into the school. Things like this shouldn't bother you. My family is proud for me. I hope yours is too.

JordanB
05-20-07, 07:57 AM
Most common things you are going to hear: "Why do you want to join the Marines you are just going to go to Iraq, Wait till you are a few years older, go in as an officer, go reserves, get an mos other than infantry, you dont like being told what to do, why would you like the Marines, once you are in you cant get out, join the airforce." Ignore it dude, YOU and YOU alone gotta KNOW this is the right thing to do and dont forget it, Drill Instructors at Parris Island or MCRD San Diago are gonna be telling you for 13 weeks that you dont have what it takes and you should just quit, and even if you parents are ****ed off at you for this (mine sure as hell were) they will lighten up after a while, and I have heard it gets even easier after graduation.

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 06:41 AM
Jordan got exactly what my friends and family were saying on the money... <br />
<br />
My dad trash talks Marines all the times (he is ex-Army) saying there all idiots who think there all that, tells me to go...

DemonicOne
01-29-08, 08:41 AM
Most common things you are going to hear: "Why do you want to join the Marines you are just going to go to Iraq, Wait till you are a few years older, go in as an officer, go reserves, get an mos other than infantry, you dont like being told what to do, why would you like the Marines, once you are in you cant get out, join the airforce." Ignore it dude, YOU and YOU alone gotta KNOW this is the right thing to do and dont forget it, Drill Instructors at Parris Island or MCRD San Diago are gonna be telling you for 13 weeks that you dont have what it takes and you should just quit, and even if you parents are ****ed off at you for this (mine sure as hell were) they will lighten up after a while, and I have heard it gets even easier after graduation.

Sounds like a carbon copy of what I hear everyday.

Twehman
01-29-08, 10:11 AM
Yeah, my mom completely went off on me when I told her I was going in for infantry. She thought it was an immediate death sentence and that I was "Too smart", a "Dumbass or f*cking idiot". She asked why I would join the infantry when I could be doing something much safer than that without a chance of dying. I just looked at her and asked where we would be if everyone thought that way then walked away. She apparently cried for most of the night but I am not going to change what I want to do with my life and how I want to serve because my mom fears for my life. In my opinion, if you want to do it, do not let anyone talk you out of it.

WKranz
01-29-08, 12:21 PM
When people ask why I signed up, I just say "Honor, Courage and Commitment."

People generally don't even know how to respond to that, because that answer seems so foriegn to them.

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 02:00 PM
When people ask why I signed up, I just say "Honor, Courage and Commitment."

People generally don't even know how to respond to that, because that answer seems so foriegn to them.

For some strange reason, I never thought about using that one... My mom cried and what not also, but giving her my reasons of why I need to do this she has not said anything like "Stay here" or "Don't go" I know she cries because she is my mom, I told her "Sorry I'm making you cry, but I'm not sorry for what I'm doing" and she just told me "Good, you shouldn't be sorry for what you're doing..." So my mom is supportive...

Side Note: This thread was from May '07 lol...

MM86
01-29-08, 03:59 PM
My mom cried too when I told her I was going to the recruiters office and I wanted to be a MARINE. Im a little bit older then some of you, I just turned 21 but I enlisted when I was 20. Only two people tried talking me out of it because of the current wars. My parents are worried, but really supportive and proud of me as well as the rest of my family. Alot of times when I go out socially and meet diffrent people and tell them that im going to boot camp for the MARINES soon, even alot of kids my age I get thank-yous for it and im not even a MARINE yet.

Jbthomp
01-29-08, 04:27 PM
My mom has been using the "you're too smart for the Marines" line as well. The big difference with my situation is that I havn't signed anything yet. I've decided on joining, and my mind is made up, but my parents are still trying to talk me out of it.
My solution was to invite my recruiter out to my house to talk to my parents.
I figured that if anyone could bring them around, it was a Marine.

SlingerDun
01-29-08, 05:18 PM
To start with, thank you for enlisting in the Corps. Next----how in the world did you get the feeling that the general public sees it as a place for troubled teenagers? Since its birth, in 1775, we have been the proudest branch of service this country has.How about that, you got a 'thanks for enlisting' from a former Marine who spent alot of time recruiting Soldiers for the Army and knows the differences. It's a lasting experience that people who have never been a Marine don't understand, it's just not possible therefore some disrespect, slander or fear the Corps. I wouldn't trade my ride with mutha green for most anything short of the fountain of youth and 6 lotto numbers. Good Luck,

--->Dave

SlingerDun
01-29-08, 05:56 PM
Too smart for the Marines:nerd:Well! Other than dressing trees and turkeys my respect for the opinions of house plants who's window to the world is a '36 diagonal didn't sail far once i quit the crib and was thrown into the world of lumps, bumps and stingers.

I'm sure most of you all have seen where the majority of troubled lost teenagers who are not the sharpest tools in the shed, hang in loose formation. Disheveled young zombies swarming the campus of any given community college in hometown USA. Video arcades and mostly settin in a dark nasty room with mouse and joystick, plastic bottles and top ramen packets scattered about the green undies and acrid socks. heheheheh:bunny:

Once you land at MCRD you notice the differences directly and will begin to understand all this talk about elite.

--->Dave

karstenchu
01-29-08, 08:11 PM
I'm glad you all resurrected this thread. It's good to see other people are in the same situation as I am.

My mother thinks I am suicidal and my father doesn't respect anyone without a Ph.D...so it's been a tough time with the folks in my household too. Twehman's got it dead on, though. If this is something you really want, you've gotta stick to it . I dunno if this qualifies me for the title of "biggest pansy this side of the Mississippi," but I find the thought of making my mother cry infinitely more painful than that of PT'ing til I puke. And believe me, as a fat-body and not a PT superstar like the rest of the poolees I see on here, I do have a healthy respect for what the DI's are going to put me through.

I've found that this is the type of experience that weeds out your true friends from those that don't really care for you. Almost all of my friends have taken the time to talk to me about my decision and done their best to restrain any irrational fears they have had.

@SlingerDun : Hahahaha, I love that. As one of those "troubled, lost teenagers," I totally agree. A majority of them do go to college. Although I was more or less anti-service prior to going through college, I am currently under the impression that entering into the service prior to going to college would allow someone to use that college time in the best way possible.

Jbthomp
01-29-08, 08:19 PM
My recruiter came to my house a little over three hours ago and sat down with my parents and me. All in all, it went better than I'd hoped. While my mom just sat there and listened, my dad asked question after question.

After my recruiter had answered just about every question my dad had, my parents came to the conclusion that their only complaint at this point is that they don't feel that I investigated the other branches of the military as thouroughly as I should have before deciding on the Marines.

This makes me feel alot better, but it still leaves me with my friends who doubt my decision.

davblay
01-29-08, 08:39 PM
How about that, you got a 'thanks for enlisting' from a former Marine who spent alot of time recruiting Soldiers for the Army and knows the differences. It's a lasting experience that people who have never been a Marine don't understand, it's just not possible therefore some disrespect, slander or fear the Corps. I wouldn't trade my ride with mutha green for most anything short of the fountain of youth and 6 lotto numbers. Good Luck,

--->Dave
I recruited for my last two years active duty in the Army, and The Marine Recruiters and I had a very, very good relationship! Lets just say that the Marine Corps recruiters didn't have to beat as many bushes as they once did, before I came along! LMAO!

Yep them old boys bought me a lot of beer! You know how it is, all recruiters have to work together and all, I have driven some prospects as far as 45 miles to the Corps Recruiters office, in my U.S. Army Recruiters car! Of course our offices were in the same building plus my mission (quota) was far easier to fill, so I had a lot of free time on my hands at the end of the month! HAHA

TheChiefIsIn
01-29-08, 08:44 PM
Anytime anyone asks me anything about what I'm doing after high school, I proudly, and loudly, exclaim that I am on my path to becoming a Marine. I don't care what the public may say about the Armed Forces, anyone who is joining the military should be proud to say so.

crazymjb
01-29-08, 08:48 PM
When my parents had the meeting it went better than expected. Since they did their own research they always respected the Corps most, so that wasn't an issue.

And yea, I have to deal with that crap at school all the time. Not worth posting anecodotes.

Davblay, there is a lot of tension at my RSS. There have been near physical altercations before, and it doesn't help that the army recruiter used to be a [male] cheerleader :D

Mike

249gunner
01-30-08, 07:28 AM
Dont expect them to understand, I never will.
Only your brothers will understand you.

Big Jim
01-30-08, 09:22 AM
But I feel like the general public sees it as a place for trouble teenagers and not a place for a educated young man.

We, as Marines, have the honor and priveledge of being a part of a brotherhood and honoring a deep committment with providing our country with its continuing freedoms. That fact, is what the general public is so very confused over. Its not that they look down upon the Marine Corps, well, not ALWAYS, but its definitely not looked down upon the way you're describing it. This has been analyzed before and as we've descibed back then...the public doesn't understand the level of committment and the sacrifice it takes out of each and every one of us and our dedication to our country and our Corps. Thats what MAKES our beloved Corps what it is!! I read on another thread where someone vandalized a recruiting station with red paint. That is a prime example of the confusion and lack of education displayed by the public. They have no understanding of what we do or how we do it...although its enough for them THAT we do it though. It's actually best they NOT know what we know so don't try and make them understand...they are a breed apart from us. Almost everyone in the US takes our freedoms for granted except those that fought for it and were there. There are those out there that DO understand...few and far between but they're there such as veterans and veterans families and the memories of veterans past.

The Marine Corps itself has evolved into a very technologically advanced fighting force. It takes more than just determination to succeed at anything in the Marine Corps. To even consider yourself becoming a part of it says alot about you. It says you have courage and the fortitude to become the best in the world. Don't let anyone EVER tell you anything different because once you earn that title...thats something you take to the grave. Your Moms and Dads will get used to the idea of you wanting to become a Marine and if they're not agreement with your choice of direction you took with your life or WHATEVER they're feeling...I can GUARANTEE you they'll be proud of you and give you the support you need...and if all else fails...the Marine Corps will become your family...just as it has become mine. Semper Fi.

Fubar5812
01-30-08, 01:15 PM
the general consensus among most of the people i've told is &quot;are ytou ****ing crazy!?!&quot; <br />
<br />
recently i was at a cookout at my girlfriends uncles house..he is a sheriff in his town and had 2 of his...

LeonardLawrence
01-30-08, 01:57 PM
SlingerDun nailed it. I think if you talk your parent into a Campus tour on any college campus with a fraternity on a Friday night...they willl drive you to Parris Island themselves. I am intimately familiar with that scene and am amazed at the difference between myself at that young age and this population.

Be proud, tell whoever you want, do it with confidence and who cares about the response. Four months with secret this big is a bad thing, in my opinion. At least tell the people who loved you since you were born....

I would love to see a parental response on this...

marinebaby17
01-30-08, 05:04 PM
My family supports me in my decision. But when I told my friends they thought I was crazy and stupid, from that I learned that hey weren't going to support me in my decision and that I need to live my own life and stop worrying about what they think.

thewookie
01-30-08, 05:54 PM
I think the question should be...Telling your parents and friends that you didn't enlist or serve? Don't be a puzzy, follow your heart (if you have one) and don't worry about the naysayers. What are you going to do with your life? You're not going to live forever and that degree you have from BSU doesn't guarantee you anything.

You have no clue how many highly educated men and women are in the Marines. Never mind the enlisted men and women!

Tell them you're going to do something honorable, and then ask them if they understand what sacrifice is? Ask them if they think freedom is free?

If you earn the title of US Marine, I guarantee your life will be forever changed and never for the worse.

I know your recruiter, it's SSgt. Wells by the way, (you need to fix your profile when you come back) maybe we can meet for a little chat to discuss your decision. If you want, look me up, I'm in the book.

Seems simple to me...

bstewar09
01-30-08, 06:18 PM
It took a few tense discussions with the parents to finally get them to understand why I wanted to join. They always wanted me to go to an Academy or NROTC. It was hard enough telling them i wanted to enlist because i get A's and Bs in school and a 25 on the ACT. Got called stupid, crazy, nuts, pretty much every word in the book. But i persevered got som good evidence and now my parents are finally cool with me joining the Corps, just not my preferred job choices, either infantry or tanks. But oh well, just can't wait till this summer so I can enlist the DEP program.

Desperate chef
01-30-08, 06:48 PM
My brother just joined last year and is currently at MCT. Everyones all proud of me and stuff for deping in but the only problem is telling my parents that I've decided to go infantry.. still havent told them that yet :/

dsacasa
01-30-08, 07:10 PM
I've noticed that same attitude around my college... whenever I tell people that I want to join the Marine Corps, they make remarks that imply that I'm wasting my life. If anyone's wasting their life, it's the person who like sheep, sits behind a desk, makes good money, and only thinks materalistically. The question they need to ask themselves is: Who do you admire and respect more: A United States Marine or a CEO?

skaterjon89
01-30-08, 08:01 PM
LOL here is something that made me REALLY proud to enlist in the Marine Corps. So there is this girl at work and she is really beautiful, she is currently in a fire academy and use to be a model, she is 18, and we never talked until last night, soo...

Her: "So I hear you quit?"

Me: "Yeah, I'm just moving on to bigger and better things then this place..."

Her: "Why are you quitting?"

Me: "You didn't hear? Wow, everyone else knows, I'm leaving for Marine Corps Bootcamp like in 2 weeks..."

Her: "(gasps)That is so cool!!! Anyone that serves there country, especially the Marines are so cute in there uniform with their hats and stuff!!!"

Me: "Huh...you're not calling me an idiot...that's odd (chuckling)"

Her: "Why would you be an idiot? You should be soooo proud, and your family too!!!! I hardly know you and I'm excited for you!!! I was going to join the service, but I don't want to cut my hair short."

So the rest of the night at work while closing we talked about so much, then we hit up 24hrs Norms (so good) and now I even got a beautiful little penpal to write too while I shower with a million other recruits...

Oh, and I got asked yesterday by a friend who wants to be a history teacher the age old question

Q:"Why do you want to do this?"

A:"Why just simply read and take a class on history, when instead I can live and be a part of it?"

After that he was like, well I'm glad for you then, hope you have fun...

TSchultz
01-30-08, 09:17 PM
Her: "Why would you be an idiot? You should be soooo proud, and your family too!!!! I hardly know you and I'm excited for you!!! I was going to join the service, but I don't want to cut my hair short."

That part made me giggle.

I make it a point not to tell anybody but my family and close friends about my plans for the future. I'm proud of my decision, I just don't feel that it is necessary to explain myself to anybody and I don't appreciate people interrogating me and judging me because of my personal aspirations.

Jbthomp
01-30-08, 09:31 PM
I thought my parents had come around to my decision until quite the argument broke out tonight. My parents ended up calling me an idiot, my dad came out and told me that he thinks I'm going to wash out of recruit training, and that I should go Navy or Air Force where I'll get a guaranteed MOS.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I only have a few people supporting me. I know that this is something I want to do. Not just for myself but for my country as well.

I'm going to MEPS tomorrow. I'm pumped. Wish me luck.

bstewar09
01-30-08, 09:38 PM
I'm kind of waiting for that to happen as well because my parents were like hardcore against it and any mention of the Marines was banned at my house then one day they just sat down and talked to me about it. So who know, I still have a year and a half before I graduate. So I don't know, I'm kind of preparing myself for a knockdown drag out argument. Oh well, i guess you can't please everyone and don't get me wrong I love my parents to death, but we are really not that close so it doesn't affect me that much that they might be dissapointed in me.

Jbthomp
01-30-08, 09:49 PM
On another note, I thought the discussion was over for the night, as my parents went to bed. Much to my surprise, my mom came into my room and told me how even though I'm her son and she wants to be behind me, she cannot support me in a decision where I'm going to go somewhere that I might not come back from.
I told her that I haven't chosen an MOS yet, and I could very well be far from combat, but the fact remains that she almost cried multiple times telling me this.

As I read someone else say "I'm not sorry about joining the Marines, I'm sorry about making my Mom cry."

karstenchu
01-31-08, 12:06 AM
Yea, as I said before, it feels that making the mother cry is the absolute hardest part of this decision. I understand where she's coming from...but at the same time, she's gotta realize that you could very well stick around at home and get killed by a drunk driver on the highway or just randomly shot to death on the street. Admittedly, the chances of being injured or killed are much higher in a combat zone. I guess just try to convince her that you are going to be one of the best trained warriors in the world and those very elite soldiers will have your 6 in a spot. I wish you luck in gaining your parent's support!

LeonardLawrence
01-31-08, 12:57 AM
Stick with it Poolee and it take a while for them to digest it. They are always welcome on here to ask questions. Tell your parents to report at 0-dark-30 or join in a poolee chat. They will see some quality folks on here.

My advice is two fold:

1. Don't let them influence your decision. You could leave for school and never come back. Keep that in mind. Life is too short to live it for someone else...even if it is your parents. Respect their right to be upset, confused, hurt, but live YOUR life. As a former active duty 0311, I just avoided the topic of my job...and that was a nice compromise.
Dont ask, Dont YELL.:cool:

2. Forgive your parents their hurtful words. See above, they are probably confused, hurt, angry, sad and scared all at the same time. I have a three year old who told me she was going to be a pilot in the Marines...and that freaked me out...so imagine how I would feel if she was 15 years older.
While you should forgive them, also keep those hurtful words in the bottom of your "seabag of tricks". There where many a times in boot, SOI and the fleet I saw my dad telling me I couldn't make it, or my friends laughing at me, that kept me driving on. I didn't rub it in anyone's face afterwards but it was helpful on a handful of occassions,...

Good Luck and drive on!

Brandon1
01-31-08, 01:23 AM
All of our parents should be like this WOOT!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7pUdYlIQVoc
But anyways my dad was the same way told me I would wash out and even if I did make it I would just go to Iraq and (These are his words I swear lol) "Get BLOWED up" He was angry and yelling he was bound to say something like that. But 4 years later he has accepted the fact that i'm not going quit just because my life may be in danger someday. I dont know about everyone else but my life is in danger every single day just walking outside my front door. Thing is give them time they will all come around someday at some point in time.

skaterjon89
01-31-08, 04:43 AM
Honestly poolees and wannabees the hardest part is still being able to look some people in the face and call them your friends and family after what they will/have said to you...

Anything my dad tells me I just shrug off and get too, yeah it hurts some, but you have to keep moving on, I really didn't expect them to be understanding but also didn't expect them to reprament me for it...

Stay motivated, I have a sarcastic view to everything which at times can make me optimistic while others are down, or brings a lighter side to life... You have to learn to just shrug things off, maybe if your tired of telling people why you joined just do little comments like "Well, at least I get a free hair cut!"

I'm 18yrs. old, but from what I'm told and from what the court/ state of california tells me I have lead a "rough life" and from this life I have lead that NO ONE truly understands unless they have walked a mile in your shoes, so don't expect them to be all ****s and giggles, there parents, it's there job to be a harda$$ when caring...

Like my mom always says regarding her parenting: "It's my job, I get paid to do it..."

davblay
01-31-08, 10:43 AM
What comes to my mind, in this matter, is the Andy Griffith Show (the one with Barney Fife). Well this guy, Howard Sprag (the county clerk) is 40 years old and still lives at home and is under the complete control of his MOTHER! He has no life, he don't date, he hasn't many friends, but he's a darn good old boy! He has often dreamed about what his life would have been like had he stood up to his Mother and moved on, but he'll never know now, not at this stage in his life, until MOTHER is dead and gone! While commendable in his intentions, he missed the chance to grow into his potentiel!

My point is this, do you want to be another Howard Sprag? The love we have for our parents is everlasting and eternal! But we, at some time in our lives, must make a decision for what WE think is best for OURSELVES!

Decisions are like a piece of wood, you measure it twice and cut it once! After the cut is made, and if the cut is short....you can't stretch it or change it, you have to start over with a fresh piece of wood if it don't fit! You can waste a lot of wood that way! Life is the same way, you make the cut and it fits...or it don't, but you can't abandon the project, you just start over until you get it right! Like with the wood project, life goals are set for a reason! You will never feel good about yourself if you don't at least try!

Parents are a strange breed of people, and you children don't come with a owners manual! So we try our best, with what we think is best for you, and hope that it is enough. But it is also our job and duty to support you when you make a decision that you feel that strong about! If you fail, then we are here to help you get back on the right track and move on.

So when your FRIENDS mouth off about your decision, let it slide off, when your parents make a suggestion, listen and reason with them again why you want this. I guarantee they will be there to support you, and will be proud of you when you graduate from Boot Camp. After all, not every parent can say my son/daughter is a Marine, ya know! My parents had three sons that are Marines, and one a soldier! Three of us spent over 20 years and none of us ever looked back, it was our destiny and choice!

As far as telling people you joined the Corps.......that's a personal choice as it is really none of thier business and you really don't need thier approval, just do what you have to do and go for the EGA!

Good luck.

Dave

Fubar5812
01-31-08, 10:51 AM
I know your recruiter, it's SSgt. Wells by the way, (you need to fix your profile when you come back) maybe we can meet for a little chat to discuss your decision. If you want, look me up, I'm in the book.

Seems simple to me...

referring to me wookie? i checked my profile..it does say SSgt Wells. how do you know him?

thewookie
01-31-08, 11:39 AM
referring to me wookie? i checked my profile..it does say SSgt Wells. how do you know him?

No, I wasn't talking to you I was talking to the guy who started the thread. But to answer your question, I know SSgt. Wells because him and his fellow recruiters in town helped me with a USMC ball that I was involved in organizing this year. And now he's trying to get me on a free trip down to Parris Island this summer. As a vistor, not an inmate,,,,;)

KevinR90
01-31-08, 03:46 PM
I'm grateful for my parents. My dad 20 yrs retired navy and my mom 7 years navy. My brother is in the navy right now too. So when I started going to get info about the different branches, they had no problem about it. For some reason though my dad was paranoid about me talking to the recruiters and how he didn't want me to sign anything without him there. I guess he was afraid i'd get into some deep you know what. Then I told them I wanted to go with the Marines. My mom was just "You sure? Why the Marines, why not the Navy?" I'm sure she was getting that anxiety that something bad will happen to me because i'm joining the Marines and not a safe branch like the navy. She's okay with it though- never gave me a hassle about it.

My dad however was another story. I made the "mistake" of telling my recruiter "yes" without really consulting either of my parents. My recruiter just called one day and i'd made my decision. The bad thing was only my mom was home- my dad was out of town on buisness. So my recruiter talked to my mom and had to set something up where we could all get together. My dad was furious for some reason. Talking on the phone with him i thought he was going to go ape on my recruiter when we got together (i'd heard what some parents are like when my recruiter meets them). It turned out alright though, my dad started out just talking with my recruiter about military life, different duty stations- what Hawaii was like (my recruiter's next duty station and where I was born). It did good to ease the tension. I went down to MEPs the same day after my school's concert- to which my recruiter attended.

So now all i hear from my dad is a talk every once in a while- and that I should remember to duck.

Patriot34
01-31-08, 03:49 PM
HAHA yeah I wish my mom was like that. I signed the papers last November and she still threatens me with the "Yeah you think you're going to bootcamp but I promise you I'll run over your legs before that day happens" hahaha

If that what it'll take to become a Marine....

Patriot34
01-31-08, 03:52 PM
I'm grateful for my parents. My dad 20 yrs retired navy and my mom 7 years navy. My brother is in the navy right now too. So when I started going to get info about the different branches, they had no problem about it. For some reason though my dad was paranoid about me talking to the recruiters and how he didn't want me to sign anything without him there. I guess he was afraid i'd get into some deep you know what. Then I told them I wanted to go with the Marines. My mom was just "You sure? Why the Marines, why not the Navy?" I'm sure she was getting that anxiety that something bad will happen to me because i'm joining the Marines and not a safe branch like the navy. She's okay with it though- never gave me a hassle about it.

My dad however was another story. I made the "mistake" of telling my recruiter "yes" without really consulting either of my parents. My recruiter just called one day and i'd made my decision. The bad thing was only my mom was home- my dad was out of town on buisness. So my recruiter talked to my mom and had to set something up where we could all get together. My dad was furious for some reason. Talking on the phone with him i thought he was going to go ape on my recruiter when we got together (i'd heard what some parents are like when my recruiter meets them). It turned out alright though, my dad started out just talking with my recruiter about military life, different duty stations- what Hawaii was like (my recruiter's next duty station and where I was born). It did good to ease the tension. I went down to MEPs the same day after my school's concert- to which my recruiter attended.

So now all i hear from my dad is a talk every once in a while- and that I should remember to duck.

I wish I had parents with past military experience. My dads says he's fine but my mom completely freaked out. She doesn't support me at all. I really don't care what she thinks cause when 18 rolls round, I'm gonna introduce myself to those sand fleas.

bstewar09
01-31-08, 04:17 PM
My parents also think just because I'm going to the Marines out of highschool, that I'm not ever going to go to college. Which I can understand from my dad because he is a really intelligent person and went to college kind of at a weird time in his life and ended up dropping out. He has been a farmer ever since then. He tells me I am the same way he was and he doesn't want me having to get up and having a hard time even standing up straight in the morning.

crazymjb
01-31-08, 07:14 PM
Wookie, do you know SSgt Connors and SSgt Gaff as well? I have heard the name Wells mentioned in the RSS, and probably have met SSgt Wells (unless that was the gunny who just went WO).

Mike

Fubar5812
01-31-08, 10:14 PM
No, I wasn't talking to you I was talking to the guy who started the thread. But to answer your question, I know SSgt. Wells because him and his fellow recruiters in town helped me with a USMC ball that I was involved in organizing this year. And now he's trying to get me on a free trip down to Parris Island this summer. As a vistor, not an inmate,,,,;)

ohhh ok,wow cool to know theres a Marine from these boards who lives nearby.

crazymjb-no SSGT wells is still at RSS plymouth,he'se my recruiter and is a stand up guy.your talking about gunny rob (robertson) he just went back to quantico to work the armory there.great guy.

thewookie
01-31-08, 10:23 PM
ohhh ok,wow cool to know theres a Marine from these boards who lives nearby.

crazymjb-no SSGT wells is still at RSS plymouth,he'se my recruiter and is a stand up guy.your talking about gunny rob (robertson) he just went back to quantico to work the armory there.great guy.

Gunny Robertson is WO select and he's left Plymouth to go to WO school. He was going to help me "modify" my AR-15 before he left but I'm still waiting on all the parts. I spoke to SSgt. Wells on the phone today and he said you're a good guy Clayton, for a poolee. :) I had to do some snooping and pooping to see if you guys from my area are legit or not.

Someone is always watching. Remember those words if you ever make it to the fleet and are on guard duty...

The guy who started this thread has decided to go officer, SSgt. Wells said he's either a young butter bar Lieutenant or still at TBS, but he's on his way. SSgt. Wells is going to try and get me on the "educators" trip down to Parris Island this summer, I hope he can swing it I'd love a free trip to go back down there for a few days!

crazymjb
01-31-08, 10:57 PM
I know I ran into pretty much all the area recruiters either just stopping by or attending that big birthday function (where the poolees got to swear in with the commandant) back in November in Boston. A ton of former Marines there too, including a handful of MOH recipients.

Mike

Fubar5812
02-01-08, 12:33 PM
lol yes i'm legit,and thats nice of him...i'm in florida right now i come home saturday (visiting the g/f before i leave for boot) what month you going down to P.I? i'll be there until may i believe (assuming no setbacks)

crazymjb
02-01-08, 12:56 PM
What month am I going? Right now my official date is Aug 1, it was July 7th at MEPS, and I WANT June 8th... So if I don't get that transfer in writing, I'll be going sometime in June possibly as a result of standby. I'm hoping that stuff on my June 8th date comes back though.

Mike

wannabeusmc2
04-13-08, 09:15 PM
First i want to say thank you to all the Marines who are being supportive and looking out for us wannabe's/POOLee's and giving us all this help.

my parents are the same way, i come from a very religious family and my dad has said many times that he doesnt see how a christian can call himself a christain when he kicks in a door and shoots someone at the same time. i was wondering if anyone had any prior people tell them this and if you got them to come around and how?

Thank you for your time and service

Lupisella
04-13-08, 09:48 PM
My parents were kind of upset mainly because my brother is a Marine and they had to worry about him when he was in Iraq and now they are probably gonna have to worry like that all over again. They're supportive though, my father is also a Marine.

VIKDEM1ZE
04-13-08, 09:53 PM
Yeah, some people disapprove of my decision, but I could honestly care less.

The deeper I get into the processing, and closer to boot, my parents start to approve more. They really just want me to do some College while I'm away.

Marines will be a great family, so I'm proud of my own decision.

FeMzZ
04-13-08, 10:16 PM
you should probably go to your recruiter crying if you are that embarassed about joining the Corps. People know i am in the Corps because of word-of-mouth. I dont go around screaming "Im a future Marine, OoRah!" but i do tell people i am enlisted. And i would NEVER deny the fact. So pretty much the "general public" feels its prooper to only have uneducated troubled teens fight for their freedom? Theres a saying for people like that, i forgot the exact words but i believe it goes a little something like: "Go fight your own F***ing war then you ingrate!" Why do you even give a damn what the "general public" thinks? Are they so honorable that you should look up to them and do what they would do? Theres nothing more honorable than being one who stands up and fights for freedom. Because freedom cannot be bought with money, nor traded for or created out of thin air. Freedom comes from those who are willing to defend it and sometimes give all to pay its price. So tell that to the guy who thinks a Marine is some troubled teen and see what he says

JoeInVille
04-14-08, 12:53 AM
People thought I was crazy for wanting to do it but they also have a lot of respect for me. I also dont open my mouth but people always ask "what college are you going to?" in my community so I have to respond saying I enlisted in the Marine Corps. I havent really had a bad response to it and I usually people thank me even though I havent dont anything yet.

benw2200
04-14-08, 04:25 AM
The most common negative reactions I get from people are either an "Oh.." and the conversation ends, or, "You're gonna go to Iraq and die!!". I've literally had people tell me this to my face. Thanks for the support, people. Someone's gotta do it.:flag:

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 07:09 AM
i've had people say the same thing, i just laugh at them. Even if i die in Iraq, atleast my death will mean something, what will their death mean?

McSweeney
04-14-08, 09:20 AM

You should be proud of enlisting.

Reagan
04-14-08, 09:40 AM
I haven't enlisted yet, but I'm planning on it sometime within the month. I've told most of my family about my plans though. Both my parents are mmmmmostly supportive of the idea, though they wish I'd look into the Air Force or Navy instead, mostly just because they're concerned for my safety.

My wife on the other hand is pretty supportive of it all, being the valkyrie she is.

Most my friends I've told about it are a mixture. A few I haven't told just because I know they'd flip out and think I'm insane, but most the ones I have told about it are supportive or at least neutrally understanding.

phantasm
04-14-08, 09:45 AM
I haven't enlisted yet, but I'm planning on it sometime within the month. I've told most of my family about my plans though. Both my parents are mmmmmostly supportive of the idea, though they wish I'd look into the Air Force or Navy instead, mostly just because they're concerned for my safety.

My wife on the other hand is pretty supportive of it all, being the valkyrie she is.

Most my friends I've told about it are a mixture. A few I haven't told just because I know they'd flip out and think I'm insane, but most the ones I have told about it are supportive or at least neutrally understanding.

Just remember, you can't please everyone, and you shouldn't have to either.

I remember when I finished my first enlistment in the Navy, my mother told me she was proud of me and all I'd done, except for joining the military. She has her reasons for saying it and I don't think twice about it. I still havent told her I'm planning on going back though, this time I'm hoping to goto Parris Island.

Reagan
04-14-08, 10:04 AM
Just remember, you can't please everyone, and you shouldn't have to either.

I remember when I finished my first enlistment in the Navy, my mother told me she was proud of me and all I'd done, except for joining the military. She has her reasons for saying it and I don't think twice about it. I still havent told her I'm planning on going back though, this time I'm hoping to goto Parris Island.

I totally know what you mean. It's not that I care about pleasing everyone, it's just that I don't want to put up with the inevitable arguments from friends or family who, while honestly caring about my wellbeing, don't share my worldview and think that joining the Marine Corps is just not worth the risks. I used to think like that myself once upon a time, but I just don't have the time or energy to put up with those arguments right now when I've got enough on my mind as it is.

FeMzZ
04-14-08, 01:20 PM
The most common negative reactions I get from people are either an "Oh.." and the conversation ends, or, "You're gonna go to Iraq and die!!". I've literally had people tell me this to my face. Thanks for the support, people. Someone's gotta do it.:flag:

haha is that the recruit motto or something? I've been saying that since i joined and my friend, who i hadnt spoken to in a while, said the exact same thing when he told me he joined.

- oh, and to the OP....be ready for the "What happens if you die or get blown up in Iraq" questions....the general public seems to think the ground in Iraq is made of IED's and they dont understand the concept of what a military base is

benw2200
04-14-08, 02:21 PM
Even if i die in Iraq, atleast my death will mean something, what will their death mean?

"Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

I love that quote. :evilgrin:

futuremarine129
04-14-08, 03:06 PM
I am having this same problem telling my parents I am looking into the Marines. They ask "How are you so fixated on the Marines when you are only 16?!?!" I think they mostly fear for my safety. My mother tells me the Marines only teach how to kill, my father agrees and whenever I try to say the facts the interrupt. It's a lose-lose battle so I'm not even trying to explain my decision to them anymore. Though this will all happen again when I need them to sign in a year.

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 03:22 PM
I am having this same problem telling my parents I am looking into the Marines. They ask "How are you so fixated on the Marines when you are only 16?!?!" I think they mostly fear for my safety. My mother tells me the Marines only teach how to kill, my father agrees and whenever I try to say the facts the interrupt. It's a lose-lose battle so I'm not even trying to explain my decision to them anymore. Though this will all happen again when I need them to sign in a year.

My parents are saying the same thing, i too am 16 (turn 17 in a month). But my parents wont sign to get me into the DEP, so i am just giong to go work out with them whenever they do their stuff, i just wont be allowed to go to the POOLee meetings.

futuremarine129
04-14-08, 03:28 PM
My parents are saying the same thing, i too am 16 (turn 17 in a month). But my parents wont sign to get me into the DEP, so i am just giong to go work out with them whenever they do their stuff, i just wont be allowed to go to the POOLee meetings.
Same, I'm lucky my recruiter is a nice guy, he's even letting my friend who wants to go Navy work out with us. I'm glad someone is in the same boat as me though.

crazymjb
04-14-08, 03:59 PM
Non-poolees are allowed to attend most pool functions as guests.

Mike

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 06:23 PM
really? i've not heard that yet, maybe you have to be 17 to be a guest? i need to look into that tho

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 07:48 PM

That is what I say!!
Don't let anybody tell you off, Sir, about your decsion!
One day you'll step out on that parade deck and be one of the bravest, and proudest people to walk this earth. You'll be a United States MARINE!
:bunny:

awbrown1462
04-14-08, 07:59 PM
I was 17 when I joined told all my friends now this was in the 70s and I lived in Orange County CA long hair area, all my friends asked me what if there was a roit at your base and you where called out and ordered to shoot and you saw us in the front line would you shoot.... I looked at them and said no way they all smiled till I added I would throw a greande lost some friends them but made better one in the Corps

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 08:04 PM
ha ha ha, now that is moving.

God i love the Marine attitude

KevinR90
04-14-08, 09:21 PM
really? i've not heard that yet, maybe you have to be 17 to be a guest? i need to look into that tho

Not true. It might depend on why you're a guest. If you're just looking for a workout i'd doubt that they would let you in- you never know though. There has been a 14 yr old pt-ing with my RSS a couple times- but they might just have let him because his brother is in DEP- and he himself expressed an interest (though it's currently in the Air Force). Depending on what you're doing, if you need to get picked up too, you have to have a parent sign a form.

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 09:51 PM
Not true. It might depend on why you're a guest. If you're just looking for a workout i'd doubt that they would let you in- you never know though. There has been a 14 yr old pt-ing with my RSS a couple times- but they might just have let him because his brother is in DEP- and he himself expressed an interest (though it's currently in the Air Force). Depending on what you're doing, if you need to get picked up too, you have to have a parent sign a form.

Let there be no mistake that i want to join the DEP to become a Marine. If it were up to me i would be in the DEP and have a ship date the day i graduate. but i cant get my parents to sign the forms because they think this is a huge mistake and are very disapointed in me. Its a good thing i will be able to make my own choices starting 05/15/09, otherwise i would never have the great honor of becoming a Marine.

BadJustice
04-15-08, 02:19 AM
I was 17 when I joined told all my friends now this was in the 70s and I lived in Orange County CA long hair area, all my friends asked me what if there was a roit at your base and you where called out and ordered to shoot and you saw us in the front line would you shoot.... I looked at them and said no way they all smiled till I added I would throw a greande lost some friends them but made better one in the Corps

Haha, that made my night sir.

jsk02a
04-16-08, 06:53 PM
I'm a college grad too...I say screw 'em...civilians will never understand why we want to become Marines, the only people who will understand is those who have gone through the same fire and are made of the same stuff as us.

Donut Brigade
04-16-08, 07:05 PM
I don't have a problem telling people I enlisted. I'm a senior in HS and I feel good answering "I enlisted in the Corps" to every "What school are you going to next year?".

wannabeusmc2
04-16-08, 09:06 PM
I don't have a problem telling people I enlisted. I'm a senior in HS and I feel good answering "I enlisted in the Corps" to every "What school are you going to next year?".

thats the exact same thing with me, except i'm a Jr. people are always asking me what colleges i am applying to and if i got accepted or not. I just say, "Oh, i'm not going to college, i'm enlisting in the Marine Corps" ussually at school i get a "good for you" or maybe "i wish i was brave enough to do something like that" i dont have any trouble at school, its just with my dad that is the biggest problem.

Donut Brigade
04-16-08, 09:31 PM
Your parents can be a big pain in the rear. It took me a while to convince my mom to sign the consent (no father). Recruiter called me for the first time in September and I didn't DEP until late February. You want to tell them WHY you want to join and what the military offers. Make sure you are serious about this. 9/10 they will think you are joking and hope you will change your mind. After a while, when it's time to apply to colleges, if you are still firm with your decision, they will begin to panic. They will refuse to sign, to which you should reply "I'm going to join when I turn 18 anyway, you are just delaying my job availablity etc. etc." If they STILL won't sign...then they are not supporting you my friend.

Good luck. Don't lose your cool with your folks.

wannabeusmc2
04-16-08, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, i will try to put it to good use this summer since in one month i am going to be old enough for the DEP.

Gumby
04-16-08, 10:53 PM
Yea people always say stupid stuff to me like your going to die and all that its sickning.

BadJustice
04-17-08, 01:09 AM

Yeah that is an answer I always feel good about. I will be doing something most people never even get to come close to experiencing.

egbutler1
04-17-08, 01:35 AM
Don't let other peoples perceptions mean anything to you. We are a proud people us Marines. No other branch can even come close to touching us. I can go do anything in life and find another Marine and it is an instant friendship, no matter what their MOS was or what they did we are brothers. Its great to go to a pub and get a beer for free from another Marine than have a friend for life who will do anything for you. When i was deployed to the olympics in 04 we found time beforehand to go to france with our Plt and there was this old little man walking the graves of the fallen from WWII (you may have seen these graves in the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan) he saw us and we all gathered to hear his stories of Iwo and all the places he fought. Its funny that even across the world you can run into one of your brothers and its like you have known each other for life. So don't let someone tell you any bull like the Marines is for troubled teens you have decided what you want to do with your life and taken many steps to get where you are at now. I bet that you have done more in life than half your graduating class in HS. I know i have. And once your a Marine you will have done something that 98% of your graduating class will never have done. Go for it tell you family and friends with pride.

Jbthomp
04-17-08, 12:53 PM
It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

My parents have mostly come around. Particularly my mom. She was worried about me getting shot, but now that I've decided to go 26XX and there's little chance I'll be in direct combat, she's much more supportive and outspoken about it. She's apparently even bragging to the other ladies she works with.

As far as my friends go, most of my really close friends are supportive, even if some are little hesitant when they first hear about my decision.

I have, however, had some other friends tell me that I'm an idiot. One of my friends is a bleeding heart liberal and he went as far as to tell me he wouldn't speak to me if I went through with it. He went on to tell me that boot camp will brainwash me and that I'll come back a baby killer.

I just stared at him for several seconds to make him uncomfortable and then laughed while I walked turned to walk to my car. I had no desire to respond to that, and I have no desire to speak with him about it before I leave for P.I.

I actually try not to tell people I'm joining the Marines. If someone asks, I answer; but I try not to volunteer the information. I irritated my best friend when he witnessed me volunteering the information to several people we know. He accused me of bragging, and we had a minor argument over it, but I actually saw his point. Since, I've sort of adopted a "only speak when spoken to" stance regarding telling people about my enlistment.

Yayap
04-17-08, 05:12 PM
It actually hasn't been too bad for me. My parents are totally cool with it and so are most of my friends, but something is... different. My friends get quiet when I talk about it and I guess it's just not a subject they want to talk about. I HAVE lost a few friends, but already gained more in the DEP. The more negative responses I get, the more pumped I am.

WKranz
04-17-08, 05:25 PM
It actually hasn't been too bad for me. My parents are totally cool with it and so are most of my friends, but something is... different. My friends get quiet when I talk about it and I guess it's just not a subject they want to talk about. I HAVE lost a few friends, but already gained more in the DEP. The more negative responses I get, the more pumped I am.

Your friends are probably just weirded out by the fact that you are gonna be pretty much gone after you leave for boot camp. You are the only one they arent gonna see at every break during school and over summer vacation.

Channel the negativity, laugh at the critics.

THAT AINT IT
04-17-08, 06:10 PM
i remember when i first told people that i was going to join they told me "you know you could get killed right?" and i would say "yeah, so?" my sisters were so mad at me for not doing what they did, go to college. but once the say me on Family Day, they instantly became motivated Marine Corps sisters. so basically, once they see you on Family Day in your Charlies or cammies, they'll come around. it may take them that long but they will. my friends were like why would you want to do that? or why do you want to leave us? or we were all supposed to live together here forever. they didnt understand that i didnt want that anymore. they dont understand that college or a job in the corporate world isnt enough for some people. I love the Marine Corps and i dont care what my friends and family have to say.

in my opinion, people who say stuff like that are jealous of us because we have the guts to stand up for our country.

Sunshine1331
04-22-08, 12:21 AM
i remember when i first told people that i was going to join they told me "you know you could get killed right?" and i would say "yeah, so?" my sisters were so mad at me for not doing what they did, go to college. but once the say me on Family Day, they instantly became motivated Marine Corps sisters. so basically, once they see you on Family Day in your Charlies or cammies, they'll come around. it may take them that long but they will. my friends were like why would you want to do that? or why do you want to leave us? or we were all supposed to live together here forever. they didnt understand that i didnt want that anymore. they dont understand that college or a job in the corporate world isnt enough for some people. I love the Marine Corps and i dont care what my friends and family have to say.

in my opinion, people who say stuff like that are jealous of us because we have the guts to stand up for our country.

I tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full. Just F.Y.I.

Bazzard
04-22-08, 01:36 AM
When I told my friends I was enlisting they where shock. See I live in Nyc and I went to a liberal Preforming Arts School and well most of my friends are actors, singers, and musicians or. . . friends of actors , singers ,and musicians. Everyone had high hopes for me to make it big time and so did I until I realized at this stage of my life I feel there’s so much out there I want to do. I told my close friends I don’t want this one track path that everyone wants for me. I said "I don’t want to be like all those guys out there following that path that everyone takes like cattle to the slaughter house." See every school gives you this one size fits all plan for life. Get a crappy job go to college ASAP and if you’re not your wasting your time. Then come out with degree in 5 years to the real world and it hits you " Holy smokes I didn’t know life was this hard" well that might be right for most but not for all and as soon as America realizes that we all be better off. Don’t get me wrong I want to purse college just not now or not the standard way of doing it.

P.S When I get out the Marine Corps don’t be surprise if you see me on TV doing it Gene Hackman style LoL

Hologram
04-22-08, 01:56 AM
Yeah, my friends joke about how I'm just joining "to shoot foreign college students" or whatever, but behind it all they're really supportive. My parents went along with it just fine (except my mom got a little bit apprehensive when she asked me what I wanted to do in the Corps and I replied quickly with "Frontline infantry!")

Bazzard
04-22-08, 02:27 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Yeah, my friends joke about how I'm just joining "to shoot foreign college students" or whatever, but behind it all they're really supportive. My parents went along with it just fine (except my mom got a little bit apprehensive when she asked me what I wanted to do in the Corps and I replied quickly with "Frontline infantry!")
<!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah its like that for me too. I joke around sometimes when they play 51 questions with me about the Marines. I just end it with a . . . " what the worst thing that can happen?" And there like " DEATH!" or some of my friends have the gulls to ask me for my stuff like " can I have your TV and your Xbox360 and etc. . . while you’re gone?" and I'm like sure I'll write it on my will. I know it’s inappropriate to say this to most people. I just say it to my really close friends just to get rise outta them.

P.S I haven't told my mom about what I'm doing. I did tell my dad tho' ( He was a Army Infantry guy) I pick a UV 0300 so after the first 2 years of MCSF when I hit Infantry I'll tell her.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Reagan
04-22-08, 03:43 AM
When I told my friends I was enlisting they where shock. See I live in Nyc and I went to a liberal Preforming Arts School and well most of my friends are actors, singers, and musicians or. . . friends of actors , singers ,and musicians. Everyone had high hopes for me to make it big time and so did I until I realized at this stage of my life I feel there’s so much out there I want to do.

Kind of in a similar boat here. I work as a comic artist and get around quite a bit, so a few people've been really shocked or even upset to hear that I want to replace my paintbrush with a rifle for the next four years or more.

Figure I've got the rest of my life to be an artist, but only a few more years if I want to be a Marine.

Drock54
04-22-08, 08:50 AM
I live in a very small town in fact my school only has 146 kids in grades 7-12. My recruiter was actually taken off of recruiting duty because he couldnt get any appointments(he now hangs around the office and the new recruiter takes most of the responsibilities). Im a pretty good baseball player and we get college coaches at our games all the time because of our strong program. Coaches are always asking me what schools are looking at me to come play and its probally my favorite part when they do this because I love to tell them that I am a Delayed Entry Program member of the United States Marine Corps. I love to tell people and when they thank you for joining its such a great feeling. We are not even Marines yet and people are thanking me, its awesome. I love to tell everyone and let them know just where im going in my life. Im not scared to tell them what Im doing and why Im doing it. The only thing that bothers me is they all ask why, I seem to never really be able to get that point across to them, I find it so hard to explain because knowing that I signed up gives me this feeling inside, this innersense of pride that I just cant explain to people. The only people who seem to understand is former Marines and current Marines. I would say to anyone for people who doubt them, because believe me we all have our naysayers and people who doubt us, forget them and when the going gets tough at boot camp and you cant remember why you need to get up and workout think of those people. The ones who say you can not do it, think of them and when you get back and your a Marine in your dress blues standing there back home on your leave go see them. Show them what you became and prove them that they should never doubt you again in your life because your now a United States Marine

Rasczak
04-23-08, 11:23 PM
I try not to tell anyone anything unless they have to know. Only a couple of my friends know. I like it that way. I used to tell people I wanted to join and had to put up with all their crap. No thanks. You don't need to know, I ain't gonna tell you.

FullMetalFuture
04-23-08, 11:26 PM
My girlfriend balled her eyes out last night when I told her about my intentions. I felt bad but ive gotta do this for me and ultimately this is for her as well...she just doesnt realize it

futuremarine129
04-23-08, 11:50 PM
I try not to tell anyone anything unless they have to know. Only a couple of my friends know. I like it that way. I used to tell people I wanted to join and had to put up with all their crap. No thanks. You don't need to know, I ain't gonna tell you.
This is probably the route I'm going to take. My friends know I want to join, but when I do most of them won't know. I even heard a story on a website about a Marine who one night just walked out the front door and when his father asked him where he was going he said "Parris Island."

FullMetalFuture
04-24-08, 02:09 PM
Im proud that im choosing this path. I will scream at the highest of my vocals cords abilities and let the world know about it.

KevinR90
04-24-08, 03:24 PM
Im proud that im choosing this path. I will scream at the highest of my vocals cords abilities and let the world know about it.

Well hopefully you do this in a good way so that you can get some refferals. Otherwise don't drill people about the Marine Corps. Try your best to get them at least to talk to a recruiter, if you can't do that- stop trying. You don't want to make enemies by annoying people to death about the military.

Once they see the recruiter there's nothing more you can do. The whole point is to get them to talk to the recruiter, then it's out of your hands- for the most part. If they're on the fense keep talking to them, if they say no don't bother anymore.

Other than for recruiting purposes I'd say don't scream at the highest of you vocal cords abilities to let people know. You aren't a Marine yet. Heck, I still feel guilty just wearing any kind of Marine Corps cloths- so for the most part I don't. My mom decided not to put USMC stickers on her car yet b/c once again i'm not a Marine. I agree with her. The only way you might be able to guess i've joined is I wear the USMC backpack I got from my recruiter to school.

Switchfire
04-24-08, 03:44 PM
I have to keep reminding my mom not to say anything with the word Marine in it and tell her im nothing yet lol.

Im happy though that all of my family is backing me on this choice unlike many others. I have an awesome background :) I dont have many friends.. I only make good friends that I know are proud to be an American.

Im pumped to get it done and over with.. I graduate June 8th and if I get this intel job I ship June 23

LiamY
04-25-08, 01:56 PM
First i want to say thank you to all the Marines who are being supportive and looking out for us wannabe's/POOLee's and giving us all this help.

my parents are the same way, i come from a very religious family and my dad has said many times that he doesnt see how a christian can call himself a christain when he kicks in a door and shoots someone at the same time. i was wondering if anyone had any prior people tell them this and if you got them to come around and how?

Thank you for your time and service

Hey, I'm a Christian too, and I sometimes get the same response. What most people don't know is that the specific word in the Ten Commandments is the Hebrew word for "unlawful killing." We as Christians are still absolutely allowed by the Law (meaning those in the Bible, not just American law) to be soldiers. Look at the Roman centurion who had faith in Christ. There are a lot of passages that support this, and quite a few good books written on the topic you can read. Also, look into Augustine's Just War Theory. If you want to know the titles and such of some of these books, just shoot me a PM and I'll dig them up for ya. Keep the faith, brother!

Gumby
05-01-08, 10:32 PM
Yea my granny and my dad are always talking about how they dont want me to join but my mom supports me.

SGT7477
05-02-08, 06:51 AM
We use to be 196,000 strong are we shrinking?

NickPowell52
05-02-08, 09:01 AM
I remember when i decided to enlist, i was at MEPS when i decided to tell my mom that i had enlisted. Its as if she was taken back, kinda like she didnt understand why I would make a stupid choice (in her eyes it was a stupid choice, but in mine it was one of the most important and best decison i've ever made). What everyone alike has to realize is that being a marine is more than a title, we gain so many life skills through boot camp and the military ensures that we have a future, so no matter what any one else thinks this is what we want to do, this is the choice we made, I dont see the general public busting there asses to ensure the freedom and protection of this country.

Darrell B
05-02-08, 07:11 PM
When I took my Oath of Enlistment at MEPS and signed my Contract I told everyone I knew I was leaving August 24th for Boot. The only time I hesitated to tell anyone was my Dad (Former Marine, Staff Sergeant) and My Grandfather (Vietnam Vet, Former Marine, Sergeant Major) after I told those two I felt a whole hell of a lot better.

AustinOverton
05-02-08, 07:46 PM
I informed my mother a year ago that I was considering joing the Corps but didn't really talk about it much until a month ago when I made the final decision that it is what I want 100%. Two days before MEPs I told my dad and now the whole family knows, also now that I'm sworn into the DEP I'm telling everyone!