PDA

View Full Version : Question about joining

Mike17068
05-16-07, 01:15 PM
i am currently in college and I am looking at my options for joing the marines.
I was thinking about going the PLC route(becasue it appealed to me along the lines of not having a commitment if i decided i dont want to join) but i'm not sure that i want the responsibility of an officer.
So as of now i am looking at going the enlisted route.
I have heard of two programs that appeal to me and i was wondering if anyone could elaborate for me.
1. 92 day reservist.( i heard i can complete boot camp in the summer so i wont miss any classes for college)
2.Incremental Initial Active Duty for Training (IIADT) Im not sure if this is the same thing as the 92 day reservist but could anyone elaborate for me?

Also i have heard that i can sign up for only 2 years
is that for reserves or only for active duty?

Thanks again,

Mike

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 01:40 PM
You don't want responsibility and want to be able to back out at any time? You're not ready to be a Marine.

Mike17068
05-16-07, 01:50 PM
You don't want responsibility and want to be able to back out at any time? You're not ready to be a Marine.

thats not what i meant/said.

I went to military school for 4 years and i know the amount of responsibility it takes to become an officer and i dont know if i want the responsibilty of mens lives in my hands.
I dont know if i want to lead.
I also want to be a reservist and i was under the impression you cant be an officer and a reservist.

AS far as backing out goes
thats completley false. I dont want to make a commitment to the marine officer program. I want the option after college to say that i dont want to be an officer, id rather enlist.

if you could help me out with the question i asked
id appreciate it.

MGySgtSki
05-16-07, 02:10 PM
thats not what i meant/said.

I went to military school for 4 years and i know the amount of responsibility it takes to become an officer and i dont know if i want the responsibilty of mens lives in my hands.
I dont know if i want to lead.
I also want to be a reservist and i was under the impression you cant be an officer and a reservist.

AS far as backing out goes
thats completley false. I dont want to make a commitment to the marine officer program. I want the option after college to say that i dont want to be an officer, id rather enlist.

if you could help me out with the question i asked
id appreciate it.

Well, you're not going to get much help coming onto a Marine site and saying you don't want to LEAD and you don't want RESPONSIBILITY. A little insight for you, every Marine is a leader, if you want to be a follower or an "employee", join the Air Force.

I'd recommend starting your question over after you give some thought on why you want to be a Marine because you haven't gotten off on a very good foot here so far.

Oh, and make sure you capitalize Marine every time you write it.

S/F

maverickmarine
05-16-07, 02:17 PM
Freakin' exactly what I was going to say but not as nice as you MSgtSki.

rvillac2
05-16-07, 02:17 PM
Everyone in the team is responsible for each other's lives (aka six).

The driver of the tank has his crew's lives in his hands.
The radio operator has his unit's lives in his hands (call for fire, identify friend/foe, etc.).
And every rifleman with a sector of fire has his fellow Marine's lives in his hands.

From all indications, you are a follower. Perhaps civilian life is better for you.

rvillac2
05-16-07, 02:18 PM
i am currently in college and I am looking at my options for joing the marines.
I was thinking about going the PLC route(becasue it appealed to me along the lines of not having a commitment if i decided i dont want to join) but i'm not sure that i want the responsibility of an officer.
So as of now i am looking at going the enlisted route.
I have heard of two programs that appeal to me and i was wondering if anyone could elaborate for me.
1. 92 day reservist.( i heard i can complete boot camp in the summer so i wont miss any classes for college)
2.Incremental Initial Active Duty for Training (IIADT) Im not sure if this is the same thing as the 92 day reservist but could anyone elaborate for me?

Also i have heard that i can sign up for only 2 years
is that for reserves or only for active duty?

Thanks again,

Mike

Oh, and look in Poolee Hall for a rundown on PLC/92 Day Reserve.

Mike17068
05-16-07, 02:19 PM
Well, you're not going to get much help coming onto a Marine site and saying you don't want to LEAD and you don't want RESPONSIBILITY. A little insight for you, every Marine is a leader, if you want to be a follower or an "employee", join the Air Force.

I'd recommend starting your question over after you give some thought on why you want to be a Marine because you haven't gotten off on a very good foot here so far.

Oh, and make sure you capitalize Marine every time you write it.

S/F

I dont know how to erase this thread.
but ill start it off again here.

I was looking into the PLC for next summer. I looked at it and I'm not sure its something that I want to do.
So what I am trying to do is figure out all of my options as far as joing the Marine Corps. I dont know if the officer route is something that appeals to me.
Its possible that I dont want to be an officer for the same reason you dont want to be an officer.
I'm just trying to figure out my options as far as enlisting because i know my options as far as becoming an officer.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike17068
05-16-07, 02:25 PM
Everyone in the team is responsible for each other's lives (aka six).

The driver of the tank has his crew's lives in his hands.
The radio operator has his unit's lives in his hands (call for fire, identify friend/foe, etc.).
And every rifleman with a sector of fire has his fellow Marine's lives in his hands.

From all indications, you are a follower. Perhaps civilian life is better for you.

I'm not sure how to explain this but obvisoulsy its coming out wrong.
I just dont think the officer route is the best route for me.
SO i am trying to figure out the options as far as enlisting.
Im not a follower by any means.

I would rather be enlisted and if anyone can help me with the Incremental Initial Active Duty for Training (IIADT) it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike17068
05-16-07, 02:31 PM
how do i delete this thread?
my question isnt being answered and id rather retype my question

rvillac2
05-16-07, 02:54 PM
I pointed to a section in Poolee Hall that would answer your questions.
IIADT is the same as 92day reserve.

This is the link that explains the 2 year contracts:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/ncsprogram.htm

Mike17068
05-16-07, 03:06 PM
I pointed to a section in Poolee Hall that would answer your questions.
IIADT is the same as 92day reserve.

This is the link that explains the 2 year contracts:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/ncsprogram.htm

thank you

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 03:32 PM
Mike, we all have reasons for making choices we make. I grew up thinking I was going to be an officer, but then got bored in college and enlisted. Now I wouldn't change anything if I could. The job of an officer and an enlisted person is different, and I prefer the enlisted job. But, as a LCPL I found myself as acting platoon Sgt. at one point. Clearly if you are not looking for responsibility you should be looking somewhere else. If you'd rather be enlisted because you'd rather get your hands dirty and do the work- then that is a valid reason.

Mike17068
05-16-07, 03:50 PM
Mike, we all have reasons for making choices we make. I grew up thinking I was going to be an officer, but then got bored in college and enlisted. Now I wouldn't change anything if I could. The job of an officer and an enlisted person is different, and I prefer the enlisted job. But, as a LCPL I found myself as acting platoon Sgt. at one point. Clearly if you are not looking for responsibility you should be looking somewhere else. If you'd rather be enlisted because you'd rather get your hands dirty and do the work- then that is a valid reason.

I understand exactly.
I think thats sort of the way i was trying to explain it but it didnt come out that way at ALL.
Its not that i dont want responsblity at all.
I would rather be hands on and actually see whats going on with men im working with.
After talking to numerous Marines,
i think the enlisted side would be better for me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Marine84
05-17-07, 08:42 AM
Sounds to me you're trying to schedule the Corps around your life - if you're not flexible enough to schedule your life around the Corps - DON'T GO! You'll only be disappointed.