PDA

View Full Version : Braces?

poolee2008
05-16-07, 08:10 AM
Are we allowed to get braces or have them at any time during boot camp or active duty/ the reserves? I was planning on getting them but the reason I am getting them so late is I had to wait until I could pay for them myself. I will be doing reserves before I switch to active. Thanks so much for everything!

chrisathey1989
05-16-07, 08:17 AM
NO!!! you cannot go to recruit training until your braces come off. You can get into the DEP program, as long as you get a note from your doctor that says that he will remove your braces before you leave. (I know from personal experiece)

davblay
05-16-07, 08:45 AM
I think Chris answered part of your question. As far as getting them on duty, well if the Navy Dentist thinks they are needed, then the Corps will pay for them, but ---------you'll just have to see. :D

TheBiggness
05-16-07, 10:01 AM
Can't get in with em. My friend Ed has to wait till his come out before he can ship.

Marinewannabe15
05-16-07, 02:28 PM
I have braces, they let you were them in DEP like everyone has said. Im getting mine off a few weeks before I go so my retainer can be made. It is ok to have a retainer in training if thats what youre wondering.

drumcorpssnare
05-16-07, 02:48 PM
My teeth are real crooked. When I was in the Corps, I was told, "We'll give you braces, if you need your teeth to accomplish your specific mission. You're a drummer? Sorry, you don't use your teeth to play the drums."

Anyone with braces should just get a Communication MOS...then the Corps could use you as an antennae!:D

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 02:59 PM
I don't know that orthodontists are going to be deploying with you to make sure that all of the needed adjustments are made, so I don't know that I would depend on the USMC to be putting braces on your teeth. I can honestly say that I never saw a Marine with braces.

Integrity57
05-16-07, 03:12 PM
poolee2008, Have you seen ads for those Invisilign braces? I believe they do the same thing as regular braces but don't make your mouth look like a Union Pacific railyard and they're removeable. Plus your lips won't get stuck to them if someone punches you in the mouth.

Wolfman07
05-16-07, 07:22 PM
Hey E4B, at the weekend pool function we just had the SDI had braces. The first time I saw him I thought my eyes were playing games on me lol:)

Phantom Blooper
05-16-07, 07:52 PM
That was an iron jaw!

Get drunk.. get your teeth knocked out on active duty liberty and the Navy will give you falsies for your jaw.Now they give wimmin Marines two sets of falsies...:banana:

Integrity57
05-16-07, 07:55 PM
That was an iron jaw!

Get drunk.. get your teeth knocked out on active duty liberty and the Navy will give you falsies for your jaw.Now they give wimmin Marines two sets of falsies...:banana:
I heard about the Air Force doing that too, I couldn't believe it. But whatever, I guess it helps boost morale lol. ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 08:30 PM
Hey E4B, at the weekend pool function we just had the SDI had braces. The first time I saw him I thought my eyes were playing games on me lol:)

That may seem odd, but it makes sense. He wasn't deployable while he was on the drill field, so he would be able to visit the dentist to have them adjusted regularly.

chrisathey1989
05-17-07, 07:35 AM
Can't get in with em. My friend Ed has to wait till his come out before he can ship.
you can join with braces as long as you have a note from your orthodontist that says he is going to take them out before you ship, as long as you have that note, then the Doc will clear you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-17-07, 12:12 PM
You must have missed the part in bold.

chrisathey1989
05-18-07, 07:45 AM
oh okay, i definatley missed that part.

millar123
05-20-07, 04:40 AM
There is absolutely no way they will let you go to boot with braces.