PDA

View Full Version : Marine spouse gets 'huge honor'

thedrifter
05-15-07, 07:02 AM
May 15, 2007 - 12:00AM
Marine spouse gets 'huge honor'

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Shannon Maxwell never imagined she'd be recognized for her service as a Marine spouse.

The humble co-founder of the nonprofit group Hope for the Warriors just never thought about it.

But Maxwell was not only recognized Friday, she was awarded the President's Volunteer Service Award at the White House by the president himself.

It's something she and her family said they'll never forget.

"It's tremendous - a huge honor," Maxwell said Monday afternoon. "It's something most people won't have experienced in a lifetime and certainly something our family will hold in our hearts for a lifetime."

Maxwell was nominated by II Marine Expeditionary Force to be chosen as one of six military wives to receive the award on Military Spouse Day. Other recipients included wives involved in service to the Navy, Coast Guard, Army, Air Force, Air National Guard and a number of nonprofit, charity and community groups.

Maxwell, along with friend and fellow military wife Robin Kelleher, founded Hope for the Warriors, a nonprofit organization that serves wounded warriors and their families. Maxwell's husband, Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell, was severely wounded in Iraq after a mortar attack left him with a brain injury.

President George W. Bush recognized her for tackling personal adversity and using the experience to help others.

"Shannon Maxwell took on the role of caregiver when her husband, Tim, returned from Iraq with a severe head injury," Bush said as he presented the award. "Shannon took what she learned, got together with other military wives and formed a support group to help our wounded warriors. They've raised over $400,000 to help injured service members adjust to new lives and new challenges."

Bush thanked the Maxwells for their service, adding that it was just a small sampling of the "good and important work performed every day by military spouses across the country."

"I want you all to know that your work is noticed, your work is appreciated, and your work inspires our nation," Bush said. "Some of my most moving experiences as president have come during my visits with military families."

Maxwell said there were no words to describe the experience she and her family had talking to and taking photos with the president.

But she wants others to know that though she was honored, the award doesn't solely belong to her.

"I take it as a huge responsibility because I wasn't going up there by myself - I was taking all of the Marine wives up there with me," Maxwell said. "Just by their virtue they're some of the most amazing women. Through deployments and other connections you really form a sisterhood."

That sisterhood, along with a partnership with the Marine Corps, is what keeps Hope for the Warriors growing.

"It was nice to be recognized for what Hope for the Warriors has done as a team," she said. "As they read our accomplishments, it was just that - done as a team."

The wounded warriors and their families are all behind the organization, she said. That will be obvious when a number of wounded warriors take part in raising money and awareness for their fellow wounded in the Run for the Warriors on Saturday.

"Their indelible spirit and amazing character is the driving force," Maxwell said. "It's a community effort and one I was honored to represent."

Maxwell urged others in the community to serve, too.

"There are so many ways we can serve," she said. "As a military spouse it's something we take without too much thought. It's who we are. It's the right thing to do. We serve."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie