PDA

View Full Version : Marine Special Forces.....

devildoghopeful
05-13-07, 01:24 PM
Did anyone else know about this? It looks like the Marine Corps is going one step further than Force Recon and has recently created a unit that is part of SOCOM - MARSOC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Forces_Special_Operations_Command
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/marsoc.htm

What do you Marines think? How come this wasn't publisised more (or is it just that I didn't get the news in England)?

Zulu 36
05-13-07, 01:30 PM
It has been widely published the the Marine Corps community for quite some time.

devildoghopeful
05-13-07, 01:47 PM
Oops, my bad. Sorry, I guess the Atlantic is quite a barrier!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-13-07, 03:24 PM
I'll mention once again that I hate the idea. Unless USSOCOM is a Marine Corps command, I don't believe we should be sending some of our best Marines to serve in the command.

Achped
05-13-07, 03:29 PM
I'll mention once again that I hate the idea. Unless USSOCOM is a Marine Corps command, I don't believe we should be sending some of our best Marines to serve in the command.
He asked for Marines' opinions, and given that I'm not one and have never seen what the Marines do in person I didn't want to reply, but I completely agree with you. I put it in the same perspective as the UN and the USA, the UN being USSOCOM and the the USA being the Marine Corps.

Marines should lead Marines.

M-16GunnySgt
05-13-07, 03:40 PM
isnt USSSOCOM a Navy control

Marine Kane
05-13-07, 05:04 PM
Marine Special Forces

Only the Army has "Special Forces", everyone else is "Special Operations Forces". There's a difference. And SOCOM is seperate from the military branches' control.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-13-07, 05:20 PM
Kane, he was using it as a generic term and we all knew what he was saying.

And I am well aware that USSOCOM personel are not under command of their parent services. That is why I said that Marines should not be a part of it. But it sounds as if you're trying to say that the military doesn't control USSOCOM. They do, it is a joint command, just like CENTCOM or any other joint service situation.

While we're on the subject of MARSOC, may as well note that we keep talking about FORCE, and they are either totally gone or nearly gone. First Force sent two platoons to Recon Bn. and the other three platoons make up 1st SOB. Pretty sad that 1st FORCE cased their colors.