PDA

View Full Version : Cooks from the Valley serve up barbeque to Marines

thedrifter
05-12-07, 06:00 AM
Cooks from the Valley serve up barbeque to Marines

Last Update: May 11, 2007 7:57 PM

Posted By: brynn galindo

Posted 5/11/07
BAKERSFIELD - They’ve barbequed in Dubai, at Pearl Harbor, and on assorted Navy ships at sea for about 20 years now, and on Friday, the Cooks from the Valley served up a Kern County-style barbeque to 4,000-plus Marines in San Diego.

“The boys appreciate the meal and we appreciate what they're doing for us,” said Susie Small, volunteer cook.

“It's a token of our appreciation for what they're doing for us, to come out and cook for them and show them a good day,” said volunteer cook Anna Spencer.

Several dozen volunteers from Bakersfield served Harris Ranch steaks, paid for with their own money, to thousands of Marines stationed at Miramar Marine Air Station.

Last month, our compassionate cooks served up a barbeque for 11,000 servicemen and women at 29 Palms.

The mission had a little Hollywood flavor to it, as actor Charles Napier was one of the volunteers.

“They brought me down here because I made a couple of movies about 400 years ago and I'm some kind of celebrity, but I’m here to support the troops,” Napier said.

Since its inception, Cooks from the Valley has now served about 76,000 steaks to roughly 75,000 service men and women in the Army, Navy and Marines.

Ellie