PDA

View Full Version : Minimum age for DEP

chrisathey1989
05-10-07, 08:47 AM
I read a thread asking about the minimum age for DEP, but i couldn't respond, but the age doesn't really matter until you ship. You have to be a senior in high school to DEP in, and 17 to ship out to boot camp.

jackson07
05-10-07, 09:22 AM
Wrong. You have to be able to ship within 365 days from the day you swear in. You also have to be at least 17, and if you are 17 you must have a signed parental consent form. You do not have to be a senior in high school, you can enlist as a junior.

ElDiablo
05-10-07, 09:25 AM
That kinda sucks. If I could DEP in right now I would.

thezero
05-10-07, 09:31 AM
Wrong. You have to be able to ship within 365 days from the day you swear in. You also have to be at least 17, and if you are 17 you must have a signed parental consent form. You do not have to be a senior in high school, you can enlist as a junior.

You say you can enlist as a junior? I talked to my dad (22year Ret. Gunny, recipient of the Centurion Award, Recruiter of the Year for New England)about something along these lines last night and he said that you had to be a Senior and 17 in order to be a poolee, because of the DEP and you have to be able to ship within a year. Now what I figured was after your junior year ended during the summer you could enlist, but If you enlist as a Junior would it have to be towards the end of the year to ensure that you will be able to finish year Senior year or would you be able to enlist half way through? Can anybody clarify this so I can understand this better?

Future Poolee Matt

ElDiablo
05-10-07, 09:36 AM
That wouldn't make sense, Matt. Kevin is a Poolee and he's a junior, and its definetly more than 365 days.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-07, 11:08 AM
17, I believe is the minimum age. Talk to a recruiter would be my 'stock' answer on this one. They'll know for sure.

ElDiablo
05-10-07, 11:11 AM
I already did. Actually I had a friend of mine who's a Poolee talk to his recruiter, and its definetly 17.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-07, 11:14 AM
Then, I believe you have the answer. Still, always good to speak directly to the recruiter, as opposed to getting information 2nd or 3d hand...

RuffNight2007
05-10-07, 11:25 AM
Now what I figured was after your junior year ended during the summer you could enlist, but If you enlist as a Junior would it have to be towards the end of the year to ensure that you will be able to finish year Senior year or would you be able to enlist half way through? Can anybody clarify this so I can understand this better?

Future Poolee Matt

Why not ask the "recipient of the Centurion Award, Recruiter of the Year for New England" aka your dad. :bunny:

thezero
05-10-07, 11:32 AM
Why not ask the "recipient of the Centurion Award, Recruiter of the Year for New England" aka your dad. :bunny:

I have but on here someone said that can enlist when your a Junior and he says Senior year. I want to say its Senior year, but you can enlist in the summer between the two? Im just confused because DEP is 365 days max right? So how would it be possible to enlist as a Junior a month before the Seniors have graduated this year, and about a month and a year from the graduation date for next years Seniors, since graduation is about the same time of year every year?

ElDiablo
05-10-07, 11:57 AM
This is getting confusing. Everyone here says its senior year, but Kevin is a junior and it's more than 365 days. So what is it?

PatriotGirl422
05-10-07, 01:10 PM
Ok let me set this straight. When you are in high school, you can enlist the summer after your junior year. You can only be in the DEP for up to 365 days. Thus, you can not enlist during the middle of your junior year, because your 365 days will run out sometime in the middle of your senior year before you have a chance to graduate. Time spent in the DEP counts towards your retirement (on a 20 year enlistment), and the Corps is not going to let people just sit around in the DEP for two or three years. You must be 17 to enlist in the DEP (with parental consent). You can also go to boot camp when you are 17 if you have graduated high school.

ElDiablo
05-10-07, 01:19 PM
That's what it sounds like to me...

thezero
05-10-07, 01:21 PM
Ok let me set this straight. When you are in high school, you can enlist the summer after your junior year. You can only be in the DEP for up to 365 days. Thus, you can not enlist during the middle of your junior year, because your 365 days will run out sometime in the middle of your senior year before you have a chance to graduate. Time spent in the DEP counts towards your retirement (on a 20 year enlistment), and the Corps is not going to let people just sit around in the DEP for two or three years. You must be 17 to enlist in the DEP (with parental consent). You can also go to boot camp when you are 17 if you have graduated high school.

Alright thanks, I wasnt sure since a couple people said you could sign up while you are a Junior (they must have meant in the summer between years?), but I was told you had to be a Senior. But that clarifies the issue. Thank you PatriotGirl422

Wolfman07
05-10-07, 01:36 PM
My recruiter said its possible to get extensions on the 365 day dep rule and it can be extended up to like 410 days. He said it was for people who get hurt a couple days before they ship and need...

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-10-07, 01:48 PM
DEP time does not count as enlisted time towards a 20 year career. It counts as inactive reserve time. When you enlist, you sign up for 8 years. Usually 4 active and 4 inactive or 6 reserve and 2 inactive reserve. The time you spend in the DEP counts towards the inactive time.

You are correct that you can enter the DEP at 17. But, you are limited to 365 days in DEP so you have to be able to go to boot camp a year from when you enlisted. Thus, you can either do it in the summer or you can manage to graduate early I suppose.

davblay
05-10-07, 01:49 PM
Picture being a Junior in High School, the year ends and you have passed junior year, now you are a Senior, GET IT? You are a Senior when the Junior school year ends, thus you enlist in the summer between your Jr and Sr years. You leave for Boot Camp the next Summer after you graduate High School!

jackson07
05-10-07, 04:40 PM
Here is the new information. You can enlist as a junior I promise. Currently we can put people into the DEP for a total of 440 days. This was just authorized like last week, and might not last for long. The order from command told the office I am working at to take advantage of this current change to the best of their ability.