PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for pistol may be in the works

thedrifter
05-07-07, 08:21 AM
Replacement for pistol may be in the works
By Rick Maze - rmaze@militarytimes.com
Posted : May 14, 2007

Congressional negotiators have put a hold on the Air Force’s plans to replace the M9 9mm handgun so the Defense Department can consider the possibility of a joint plan for upgrading or replacing pistols.

The M9 is the standard issue sidearm for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and U.S. Special Operations Command, but the Air Force asked for $89.8 million in the 2007 wartime supplemental appropriations bill, which has been vetoed, to start purchasing a replacement.

The request was not included in the compromise version of the bill.

Instead, lawmakers would provide $5 million for a study of the joint sidearm requirements, including any service-unique requirements, according to a report accompanying the bill.

Because the supplemental bill was vetoed concerning issues unrelated to the handgun purchases, the only certain result of the agreement is that the Air Force will not get money anytime soon for a replacement weapon. Money for the handgun review would not be available unless this bill, or another bill containing similar language, is approved by Congress and signed into law by President Bush.

The study requested by lawmakers, to be completed by Aug. 31, would look at the M9’s capabilities, lethality and ammunition options, as well as how it stacks up against other handguns.

The date was picked because it would allow the results of the study to be considered when Congress puts together the final details of the 2008 defense appropriations bill, which traditionally is not approved until fall.

To conduct the study, lawmakers approved the purchase of up to 50 handguns and ammunition for them.

For years, talk has circulated about having a so-called Joint Combat Pistol, most likely a .45-caliber because that is what SOCom has been studying. In the early 1980s, the Air Force conducted several handgun tests to find something other than the M9, but no final decisions were made, partly because the Army and SOCom had different requirements and wanted to conduct their own tests.

The Army later did conduct its own tests, and did not recommend a replacement.

Ellie

OLE SARG
05-07-07, 08:32 AM
Five million dollars for a joint study on sidearm replacements - give me a ****ing break. Solution - 9mm too small - need .45 - study done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Politicians give me a pain in the arse!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

8th&I Marine
05-07-07, 10:02 AM
I agree I say change it back to the 45. Wont have to use as much ammo with the 45 to take someone down.

Cantrell:flag:

USMCmailman
05-09-07, 06:44 PM
I will be glad to do the study for them for $500. dollars.

.45= dead bad guy.
9mm= ****ed off bad guy.
End of study, please send check to my email, I take paypal!:marine:

mark king
05-09-07, 08:38 PM
bring back the .45 now!

RLeon
05-10-07, 12:11 AM
Good freaking grief! the DOD had been jerking everyone around about this for the last 6 years or so. I wish they would make up their minds.
The military can't make up their minds about anything...first they were going to replace the M16 with the OIC, nope, too big. Then the Xm8 from HK, nope too complicated...then they thought about replacing the upper receivers on the M16s with a gas piston upper(SF guys love it)..nope not needed.
The Corps want's to change the M14 DMR to an AR that shoots .308...why, what's wrong with the M14 platform? Why replace a perfectly fine weapon that used a gas piston(cleaner) with one that eats were it ****s(gas tube)
"We need more stopping power with out sidearms". "Okay lets use the .45APC...Cool we can Start witht the bids " so Ruger, Kimber, SA, HK join in only to have the whole idea scrapped.
And now this...

drumcorpssnare
05-10-07, 12:34 PM
If the Democrats have their way, the new sidearm for America's military will be a CO2 powered marshmallow gun. It would be more PC !!!:banana:

drumcorpssnare:usmc: