PDA

View Full Version : New MOS

JordanB
05-07-07, 01:00 AM
My initial Marine Corps contract is for Marine Corps Reserve: 0351 Assaultman. After talking to some of my friends and some friends of the family, I have decided to switch my contract before I ship out to basic on the 30th of May from reserve to active duty. My recruiter has told me that since active duty Marines have to swear in twice and reserve Marines only have to swear in once, that I MAY, (not guarenteed) now get a chance to change my mos on my contract. I am curious about some of the following jobs, specifically qualifications and what exactly I would be doing as one of the following:

8541: Scout Sniper- What keept me from signing up for recon was 1. My age and 2. Though I had a gt score of 112 my recruiter told me that I far surpassed the Marine Corps initial strenth test requirnments, I am not a very good swimmer at all (i.e. I have almost no buoyancy) Looking at the requirnments for Scout Snipers, correct me if Im wrong, but they need to be supperior marksmen and have near olympic physical fitness/dicipline, but I didnt find anything saying that they had to be good swimmers. (I can swim, but not nearly at the 1st class qualification)

8154 Marine Corps Security Force Close Quarters Battle Team Member: The job description led me to belive that these Marines are responsable for important security on MEU's, but what do they do when in the field/ do they ever leave ships?

8652 Reconnaissance Man Parachute Qualified: I know its doubtful, but are the swimming requirnments any lower for this recon possition then the scuba recon men?

LAV/Tank Crewmen: Do enlisted Marines (I have some college credits but have as yet to earn my bacholors or associates degree) Get to actually drive tanks/ light armored vehicles, or they just used as maintanence crews?

rvillac2
05-07-07, 01:37 AM
Of the MOS's you listed, only the LAV/Tank Crewman is available to you upon enlistment.

All of the 8000 MOS's are Secondary MOS's that Marines get later in their career.
Snipers and Recon come mostly from the 03xx field.

I'm not sure how they're picking who goes to Sniper school these days. However, at minimum, you will have qualified expert (maybe earned second award) and have excellent conduct and proficiency ratings. Snipers are detail oriented and highly disciplined individuals. The school is very tough and has a high failure rate. There's a saying for the Sniper occupation..."it picks you, you don't pick it."

Recon/Para Qual is simply a Recon Marine who hasn't gone to Scuba school yet. The indoc is the same for all Recon Marines.

Bottom line, if you're interested in sniper or recon, enlist as infantry.

The CQBs you listed come from the Security Forces MOS.

LAV/Tank Crewman sign up in the Armor MOS. They will be assigned a weapons system (Abrams/LAV/AMTRAK) depending on what unit they are destined for. They will be trained in all of the armored vehicles and all crewman positions therein. You will ALSO be the maintenance crew.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-08-07, 04:14 PM
I thought you got to LAV through an infantry contract, not armor. I could well be wrong- but that is how it has been explained to me.

rvillac2
05-08-07, 04:55 PM
Well, E4B, I could well be wrong, too. I only keyed in on the Armor/Tank Crewman MOS.

Quinbo
05-08-07, 05:19 PM
LAV is MOS 0313. AAV is armor.

SkilletsUSMC
05-08-07, 06:02 PM
My whole time in I have not met one 0313... I think its a conspiracy

JordanB
05-09-07, 12:17 AM
I called my recruiter last night and he told me that you cant "sign up" for a scout sniper MOS, you need to get a recomendation by your drill instructor or later on in your career by your platoon Sgt. As for recon, he said any Marine gets the chance to try out for it, but I think Im going to wait a little for some experience in the infantry and to get better at swimming.

cturner
05-09-07, 12:26 AM
Security Forces CQB teams don't go on MEUs, or to the field, or on any kind of deployments.

Quinbo
05-09-07, 03:06 AM
All MEU SOCs have CQB trained Marines and Sailors.

rvillac2
05-09-07, 12:21 PM
I called my recruiter last night and he told me that you cant "sign up" for a scout sniper MOS, you need to get a recomendation by your drill instructor or later on in your career by your platoon Sgt. As for recon, he said any Marine gets the chance to try out for it, but I think Im going to wait a little for some experience in the infantry and to get better at swimming.

Kinda like what we said above, huh?

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 11:16 AM
I was in security forces and a scout swimmer.

Security Forces is a B-billet for infantry marines. You must be an 03 and have security forces in your initial contract. This can be guaranteed before you go. Scout swimmer the process is the same for scout sniper. When you get to the fleet your company gets slots for these schools. Make sure your company gunny is aware you want to be a sniper! Bug him day and night and show him you are the best ground pounder around and he will select you!

immaproshooter
04-07-08, 01:39 PM
ya you get to 0313 by enlisting in the 03xx ....im an 11 and i love it. one of my buddies requested to be an 0313 when in SOI (ITB) because they asked for volounteers when you are there and they have x amount of slots to fill, so thats how you opt for the 0313 if you are interested in that...become an 0311 because youll go through school of infantry as an 11 first and then after that is compeltesd youll go for additional training out in cali i believe for the lav crewman 0313