PDA

View Full Version : Future Marines prep for boot camp

thedrifter
05-06-07, 09:15 AM
Future Marines prep for boot camp
Updated: 5/5/2007 2:34:28 PM
By: Jessica Mokhiber

It may not have been the typical morning wakeup call, but 300 kids signed up for this weekend of what is being called "Boot Camp 101." Among them is James Norwood, 20, from Walton, New York.

He said, "My grandfather was in the Marines, and I always looked up to him. I've always looked up to Marines anyway because they wear the sharp uniforms, and they're tough. You have to go through the tough training, and this isn't even boot camp yet."

Boot camp for Norwood is still a few weeks away, but for him and the other Marine hopefuls, this weekend is a way of prepping for the real thing.

Marine Sergeant Michael Darbouze said, "You can call this Boot Camp 101. It's to give them an idea of what the next three months are going to be with their future drill instructors."

Half of the entire US Marine Corp is under the age of 21, and most of these young men and women aren't even out of high school yet. This is their very first glimpse at life in the military.

"This is their first experience ever of this kind, and not a single one of them have ever met a drill instructor before except for these two drill instructors yesterday evening when they got off the buses from their respective locations," said Darbouze.

A huge part of boot camp is the physical aspect, and these future Marines are getting just a small taste of what's to come when they get to boot camp at Paris Island.

"This is like nothing they've ever done before, but at the same time, it's a good experience especially if they're getting ready to get to boot camp," said Darbouze.

Jessie Nola, 18, of Owego, New York, also wanted to see what the Marines is all about. So far, she said she likes what she sees.

"I've learned to stay focused, and everything that everybody has taught me at home is put to use," said Nola.

"I've got new friends to look forward to in the future, and I'm just looking forward to the challenge," said Norwood.

While Norwood has his own reason for being here, almost all have similar goals of finishing boot camp and one day serving our country.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-06-07, 09:30 AM
Marine hopefuls tackle first tests
Sunday, May 06, 2007
By MICHAEL McAULIFFE
mmcauliffe@repub.com

CHICOPEE - Sgt. David A. Lopez yesterday faced some 450 young people who want to be Marines, and there were some literal in-your-face moments at Westover Air Reserve Base.

It is what Lopez does. A drill instructor, he does it at Parris Island, S.C., the site of basic training for future members of the Corps.

"I'm waiting for them to come on down," Lopez said.

First though, the young people were at the air base for the annual Pool Meet, where the schedule called for some physical testing before lunch and light-hearted fun that included an egg toss. The fitness testing provided a gauge of whether the young people are in good enough shape to withstand the rigors of basic training.

"For the people who are leaving within 30 days, this is their opportunity to have a score we can send down to boot camp with them," said Maj. Lawrence C. Coleman, commanding officer of Recruiting Station Springfield.

"If they don't make it through boot camp, that's our fault," Coleman added.

Boot camp lasts 13 weeks.

"It's been my dream to be part of the world's best fighting machine," said 18-year-old Justin M. Gelgut. The Westfield Vocational Technical High School senior is scheduled to leave for boot camp next month.

Eighteen-year-old David J. Desabrais of Palmer had much the same feeling.

"I always wanted to be a Marine, ever since I was a little kid," said Desabrais, a senior at Pathfinder Regional High School who joined the Reserves a little more than a week ago and is scheduled to ship out in July.

One of Gelgut's classmates, Kiersten A. Morin, is motivated to be a Marine by others doubting her.

"Most people don't think I can do it," she said. She aims to make it through boot camp for her father, Michael J. Morin.

"I just want to make my dad happy by passing," she said.

Some parents were at the meet, including Desabrais' mother, Tammy. She watched her son and lunched on a vegetarian burger that was part of a ready-to-eat meal provided by the military.

"I'm very proud and happy that he's doing it," Tammy Desabrais said of her son joining the service.

She is well aware of the war in Iraq, and while she has fears about her son being sent into the conflict, she does not want to squelch his dream of being a Marine.

As for the possibility of going to Iraq, David Desabrais said simply: "No problem. Let's go."

Ellie

AlexRT
05-07-07, 07:25 PM
I was there at the Chicopee one MSGT. They had a thing on the news about it and I was on it running in the IST.