PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Pull-Ups

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 10:22 PM
Alright, so currently Im doing pyramid pull-ups, palms out. I am changing my grip to palms out, because I am having a hard time going all the way down when I have palms in (I think this is mainly because my arm is hyper-extended, it feels like I am going all the way down but im not). When I do palms out I can go all the way down consistantly, but now the problem. The problem is I can not do as many pull-ups palms out as I can in, so my question is what is a good "back" exercise so I can increase my pull-pull ups? I know the best way to get better at pull-ups is to do more pull-ups (this is why im doing pyramid pull-ups). Is their a type of push-up that focus's more on the same muscles as palms out pull-ups, since im using less of my biceps when I use palm out grip on the pull up bar. For those that dont know what pyramid pull-ups is I will explain.
10 push-ups, 1 pull-up, 10 push-ups, 2 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 3 pull-ups, then you repeat the process till you get to the "peak" (your choice, may be 6 7 8 9...) When you get to the top of the pyramid you go back down.
Any help and I would be great.

Motorola07
05-05-07, 10:27 PM
I would say, extend your arms further out from your chest, not forward but to the left and right.

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 10:41 PM
I would say, extend your arms further out from your chest, not forward but to the left and right.

Wow that helped a lot I think, I will need to have some one take a video of me doing pull-ups at the recruiting station the next time I go. It looks like im going all the way down but, I dont know. Thats how the last ones felt too.

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 10:42 PM
I have a pull-up bar in my door at my house. But its a little different then if I go to the station & do pull-ups.

HurricaneRJ
05-05-07, 10:58 PM
I remeber last week when my recruiter made a Marine and I do flex-arm hang(sp?)

We both were like "This is embarassing, why are we doing some female ****?"

We both got up there and didn't last 5 seconds.

After that we both found a new found respect for the flex-arm hang.

As for special exercises on your shoulders, the only thing I can say is, that just keep doing palms out Pull-Ups, your only going to get stronger by doing that. Push-Ups will help, but only a little, you won't see much of a difference.

Just keep at it, theres no subsitution for running 3 miles is there?? Theres none for the palms out Pull-Up.

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 11:02 PM

As for special exercises on your shoulders, the only thing I can say is, that just keep doing palms out Pull-Ups, your only going to get stronger by doing that. Push-Ups will help, but only a little, you won't see much of a difference.

Just keep at it, theres no subsitution for running 3 miles is there?? Theres none for the palms out Pull-Up.

Well said, but I would say humping 5-_ miles would make up for a 3 mile run any day.:bunny:

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 11:05 PM
Oh and yes your right, flex-arm hang is tough. I could do it for 38 seconds, thats a far cry from 70 sec (I believe 70 sec is the 100pts for female PFT).

HurricaneRJ
05-05-07, 11:06 PM
**** go for Ten. It's not that hard once you get used to it, its just when its hot as hell and the sun is in your face and the pain is in your leg. I'm a big guy and the humps I do don't affect me as much. The hump will make up for the 3 miles, but you need to do at least 6-10 to cover the three miles.

Motorola07
05-05-07, 11:20 PM

wow forgot to put do this while you are doing pushups... i didnt read it lol...

SnowPaint078
05-05-07, 11:40 PM
wow forgot to put do this while you are doing pushups... i didnt read it lol...
Good idea, shoulders, triceps, & chest. Add a 2 second pause when I go down too, feel more of a burn. All though expanding my grip on the bar helped too, your mistake helped me out :p

Jrrrr
05-06-07, 12:58 AM
Any help and I would be great.

Do you do rows during your workout?

Underhanded Yates rows are possibly best for biceps and lats. Bent over rows with your upper arms perpendicular to the torso are good for the rear deltoids. Truthfully, any and all rowing is good in general and will help the muscles involved in pull ups.

I like flex-arm hangs for when I'm too tired to do more pullups, it's definitely a worthwhile thing to include in one's workout.

hawks
05-06-07, 01:34 AM
Pendlay Rows, Hammer Curls, Lat Pulldown, Military Press and Bent Over Rows should make your pullups easier.

Marine84
05-06-07, 06:44 AM

I love it when you guys realize that there really are some things that we have to do that's hard.

And them arms had better stay BENT too!

Wolfman07
05-06-07, 09:18 AM
Haha yeah flexed arm hang is tuff. I got over 70 seconds once, mainly because someone else got like 68 seconds and I had to beat them because 2nd sucks! lol If you do negative pullups they help too. Do a pull up and slowly let your self down taking like 10 seconds to get fully extended and then do it again, that helped me get to 20 pull-ups.:thumbup:

killerinstinct
05-07-07, 08:47 AM
I love it when you guys realize that there really are some things that we have to do that's hard.

And them arms had better stay BENT too!

but dont forget they get 100 for doing their 3 mile in 40 minutes or something so it makes up for it.

****Stirs the pot for 84*****