PDA

View Full Version : My MOS; not a good chance?

poolee foy
05-04-07, 02:13 PM
So I was at the gym earlier this morning. When a "reservist" asked me what my MOS would be. I then told him that my MOS will be MP. He laughed and told me, "good luck". He told me that I most likely won't get that MOS and will be forced to take my second option which was admin. Why did he say this? And is it true?

poolee2008
05-04-07, 02:21 PM
MOS? It's that four digit number they gave you, ie. 0311 or something to that extent

killerinstinct
05-04-07, 03:18 PM
to be honest i dont think it would be true considering 5811 's (MP's) are being recalled from IRR. but you never know.

Kildars
05-04-07, 06:13 PM
Like the Corporal said -- MPs are in HIGH demand. I don't think you should have an issue.

MOS? It's that four digit number they gave you, ie. 0311 or something to that extent

Yes.

Marine84
05-05-07, 06:13 AM
Just tell him that if that's the case then you would love a job writing checks for the world's finest - without Admin NOBODY gets paid.

FireDawg7051
05-05-07, 07:29 AM
When I was in MCT there was about 9 MP's I knew about. I heard the training isnt easy so dont expect your going to be doing regular cop work. They tret you like a**Holes the whole 9 weeks. Thats why when you get out you going to be an a**hole. The most hated guy in the Marine Corps. Have fun

ggyoung
05-05-07, 11:52 AM
FireDawg7051=========== Just to let you know that in my just about 8 years in the Corps I never had one problum with Marine MP's. They have helped me out in some cases. I have been a MP two different times. One at Marine Barricks Hawthorne, Nev. and when I was NCOIC of "B" Block Max Securty 3rd MAV Brig. With you'r atatude you are going to have problems with MP'S. So knock off your cheap sh!t. They have a job to do and just to make it easyer on your self just go with the program. Back when I was in if we had a problem child like you, they would be in back of the barricks diging 6x6x6 untill I was tired.

Integrity57
05-05-07, 12:51 PM
Do MPs get sprayed with pepperspray during their training like civilian police?

davecerami275
05-05-07, 01:24 PM
When I was in MCT there was about 9 MP's I knew about. I heard the training isnt easy so dont expect your going to be doing regular cop work. They tret you like a**Holes the whole 9 weeks. Thats why when you get out you going to be an a**hole. The most hated guy in the Marine Corps. Have fun
\

Are you related to cpl brooks??

USMC90
05-05-07, 01:38 PM
Do MPs get sprayed with pepperspray during their training like civilian police?

If I'm not mistaken all Marines get some OC to the face.

Integrity57
05-05-07, 01:52 PM
Yeah but thats the gas chamber, I want to know if they do the pepperspray training and/or the tazer training which I forgot to mention in my original post.

JordanB
05-07-07, 11:44 PM
only reservists are GUARENTEED a mos, active duty Marines get them based on availability and what they feel you will do best at based on your asvab, how you do in bootcamp, etc. If you really want mp you should sign up as a reserve mp (might take a few months for a spot to open up) and then switch to active duty as soon as you get through boot. I have a cousin who tells me that a lot of guys who become mp's hate it, because as strict as everyday life is in the Corps, as an mp it is your job to basically bust fellow Marines for driveing 5 miles over the speed limit.

davblay
05-07-07, 11:48 PM
only reservists are GUARENTEED a mos, active duty Marines get them based on availability and what they feel you will do best at based on your asvab, how you do in bootcamp, etc. If you really want mp you should sign up as a reserve mp (might take a few months for a spot to open up) and then switch to active duty as soon as you get through boot. I have a cousin who tells me that a lot of guys who become mp's hate it, because as strict as everyday life is in the Corps, as an mp it is your job to basically bust fellow Marines for driveing 5 miles over the speed limit.

I know you are an expert, and probably a Recruiter (NOT), but you really need to read up on the regulations, POOLEE! FYI---MP is always capitalized!

SkilletsUSMC
05-08-07, 12:19 AM

All of the Marines who were FAPed to PMO complained of this same thing. Its a job that need to be done but not by me.:D I wouldnt recomend that MOS myself, but I havent done it either.

Zulu 36
05-08-07, 07:13 AM
Police work is not a job, it is an advocation. It is one of those jobs which you either love or hate. No middle ground.

Personally, I loved police work. I looked forward to going to work every day and I enjoyed taking *******s off the street. I knew I couldn't get them all, I just did my best getting those I could.

Traffic tickets are part of the job. If the boss says stop and skid for five over, then that is what you do. No different than following lawful orders in another MOS. If you don't like citing for five over, sit at a stop sign or traffic signal and cherry pick runners.

In MPs things are a little more black and white than in civilian policing. In many ways, law enforcement in the Marines is easier than in the civilian world. In other ways, it is more difficult.

If you hate police work, get out immediately. It is important for your health, your fellow officers, and that of the general public. Nothing worse than an embittered cop wandering loose on the street.

ggyoung
05-08-07, 10:23 AM
If you don't want a ticket for 5 over then stay within the posted speed.

Lgncarter07
05-08-07, 12:12 PM
As an MP how far does your jurisdiction extend? Is it only on base? what kind of a$$holes are on a Marine base?... It seems like that would'nt be a place i would want to do something stupid...

ggyoung
05-08-07, 01:17 PM
Lgncarter07=========Then don't do something stupid. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

MGySgtSki
05-08-07, 01:48 PM

Great advice there, knucklehead, and glad you're so informed on what MPs do. Guess that cousin of yours was disillusioned about being with a base PMO unit. Well, MPs do a lot more than law enforcement on base. He!!, a lot of the "MPs" you see at the gates and driving patrol cars aren't even MPs by MOS....ask your cousin what a FAP is.....

There are PLENTY of MPs in Iraq right now and they're not giving speeding tickets on Camp Fallujah (except for that one Marine that pulled me over on CF saying he thought my driver was going too fast, but that's another story). They're out providing convoy security, conducting convoys, and they make up the bulk of the Police Transition Teams that are out there training and living with the Iraqi Police every day. If you think they're teaching the IPs how to run a radar gun, you're sorely mistaken.

S/F

Lgncarter07
05-08-07, 03:31 PM
Lgncarter07=========Then don't do something stupid. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

I meant that as speaking from a criminals/scumbag's etc. point of view. not that of my own.

Hypothetically speaking Sir

Zippo
05-08-07, 11:37 PM
Yeah but thats the gas chamber, I want to know if they do the pepperspray training and/or the tazer training which I forgot to mention in my original post.

Yes, every MP takes OC spray to the face during MOS school and is required to run through a station course which includes strikes, takedowns, and blocks. I've BEEN the one taking those hits lol, and trust me, i could have whooped any of their asses with one hand tied behind my back. That sh*t will hurt for days... and PS, water re-activates it!!

SkilletsUSMC
05-09-07, 12:09 AM
Yes, every MP takes OC spray to the face during MOS school and is required to run through a station course which includes strikes, takedowns, and blocks. I've BEEN the one taking those hits lol, and trust me, i could have whooped any of their asses with one hand tied behind my back. That sh*t will hurt for days... and PS, water re-activates it!!

OC is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times worse than CS

SkilletsUSMC
05-09-07, 12:10 AM
If you don't want a ticket for 5 over then stay within the posted speed.

15 mph through SOI is BULL****. Thats 10 slower than a school zone. But I agree just follow the rules and youre golden.

Zulu 36
05-09-07, 06:11 AM
OC is no big thing. I was an OC instructor as a police officer. The first time is a little rough, but it gets easier the more you're around it. You learn you can (and must) work through an OC exposure. Remember, everytime you use OC, you will be exposed to it yourself.

Dirtbags think you're badass when they can't breathe or see and you appear to be just fine.

samuraidragon
01-28-08, 01:17 PM
There are PLENTY of MPs in Iraq right now and they're not giving speeding tickets on Camp Fallujah (except for that one Marine that pulled me over on CF saying he thought my driver was going too fast, but that's another story). They're out providing convoy security, conducting convoys, and they make up the bulk of the Police Transition Teams that are out there training and living with the Iraqi Police every day. If you think they're teaching the IPs how to run a radar gun, you're sorely mistaken.
How do you enlist so that you can MP overseas like that? Or is that not possible? GOP?

15 mph through SOI is BULL****. Thats 10 slower than a school zone.
The school zone speed limits where I live are 15.

Bradly Powell
01-28-08, 01:39 PM
I think be'n and MP would be cool. You could be stationed all around the world at embassys and sh!t like that.

samuraidragon
01-28-08, 01:42 PM
I think you might be thinking of Marine Security Guards. They are the ones assigned to embassy duty.

https://msgbn.usmc.mil/

Rowe907
01-28-08, 04:28 PM
All the MP's Ive ever met were really cool, unless you were doing something extremely stupid. They even said they liked their job (mind you, this was at Kaneohe Bay in HAWAII, of all places.) I got in a minor fender bender in the Comissarry parking lot, and when they showed up I felt bad because they had to write a LOT of paperwork......

kelley26
01-28-08, 08:54 PM
If you don't break the law you dont have to worry about the Police... My dad (old Marine) always says, "Are Cops really d**kheads or are they just doing their job!" he said that right after I was complaining about my speeding ticket an I called the cop a dick, if i woudn't have been breaking the law an doin 20 over the cop wouldn't have wasted his time on me... so I guess my dad kinda taught me a lesson that Cops are just ppl doing their jobs. Now actually... I kinda want to be one.

Bradly Powell
01-29-08, 01:19 PM
Most cops are just trying to do their jobs, but there are those who abuse their power and do some unjustly things. Now those cops are d*ckheads! I'm friends with all the cops in my town. And they're as nice as a baby duck. They even buy me stuff that I'm to young to have.