PDA

View Full Version : So from what I've gathered about boot camp..

Soon2BeVIP
05-02-07, 06:06 PM
is that you go through and their are still people in your platoon you never talked to. But when do you actually get to speak to people. Like at chow do you get to talk to people or at night. Not that I'm hugely care, but picturing boot camp I never really picture ever being able to say one word to any of the other recruits, so I'm just curious about how often you actually get to.

FireDawg7051
05-02-07, 06:24 PM
All you need to know is yes sir, aye aye sir and no sir. Dont be one those ignorant recruits and talk like a dumba**. Good to go ?

Zulu 36
05-02-07, 07:40 PM
When I went through (1971), I had a chance to talk with everyone in the platoon over the course of a given week. I didn't necessarily WANT to talk to everyone - some were dickheads, like Little Smith (Big Smith was cool).

Talking at chow is universally forbidden. Get in, eat, get out. You'll be too hungry to talk anyway - just shovel chow.

I'm not saying we had time for a long conversation, but between "free time" at night when we could talk quietly, or Sunday laundry at the wash racks, Dumb Squad, firewatch relief, and a few other times, we could at least get in a "Where you from, how's things at home, your hog looks good, etc." Naturally, you got to know the guys closest to your rack the best.

A few Sundays we put our footlockers out on the patio and could sit out there in our skivvie shirts and no covers and read the Sunday paper we were required to buy at morning chow (and only on Sunday). The SDI wanted us to have some sun on our "little bald pointed heads." Quiet talking was allowed too.

It all depends on your DIs, your platoon's performance, time of the day, what you're doing, etc.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 10:48 PM
We could talk very quietly during free time. But you were to be at your rack, in the head, or doing exercises on the quarter deck where we had a few weights and a pull up bar. So, if a recruit wasn't on your left or right, didn't go to the head at the same time as you, or didn't work out during free time you were not really able to talk to them.

hawks
05-03-07, 12:16 AM
We could talk very quietly during free time. But you were to be at your rack, in the head, or doing exercises on the quarter deck where we had a few weights and a pull up bar. So, if a recruit wasn't on your left or right, didn't go to the head at the same time as you, or didn't work out during free time you were not really able to talk to them.
What kind of weights were there? Like dumbells or did they have a bar and all that with plates? Do you ever have to use them while getting quarterdecked?

Quinbo
05-03-07, 12:43 AM
Field day we were allowed to talk quietly. You are always in a fish tank and no matter where you go you are watched. The DI's wanted to see who had leadership skills and allowed talking to see if you were a leader or a follower.

On long runs if you weren't dying and praying you could talk all you wanted. Those conversing were showing that this run aint nothing but a thang. Chant faster ... faster we wanna go faster.

rvillac2
05-03-07, 01:04 AM
What kind of weights were there? Like dumbells or did they have a bar and all that with plates? Do you ever have to use them while getting quarterdecked?

Not every squadbay is going to have free weights. My SDI told us that the weights wouldn't help us improve on the PFT anyway. Work on situps and pullups on your free time.

If you're getting some extra training on the quarterdeck, they can rain down plenty of misery with several exercises that don't need weights. However, if they want to give you some extra special pleasure, there is a handy 8 pound free weight issued to every recruit. We have some very imaginative ways that we can make it feel like 40 pounds. ; )

oh, I miss the fun.

rvillac2
05-03-07, 01:11 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the foot lockers. Those can be fun, too!

"PRESENT, Footlocker!"
"ORDER, Footlocker!"

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-07, 01:37 AM
Present footlocker and inspection footlocker are probably the worst commands I ever received. Too bad I can't do that to some of the people I work with now though!

chrisathey1989
05-03-07, 08:16 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the foot lockers. Those can be fun, too!

"PRESENT, Footlocker!"
"ORDER, Footlocker!"

How do you perform those commands!?!

BR34
05-03-07, 08:35 AM
Present footlocker and inspection footlocker are probably the worst commands I ever received. Too bad I can't do that to some of the people I work with now though!

How about marching manual with sandbags...that's always fun.

"Left shoulder...ARMS!"

"Port...ARMS!"

Gonna miss Paige Field games.

jinelson
05-03-07, 08:51 AM
Over shoulder - arms! Forward Duck Walk!

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-07, 10:37 AM
How do you perform those commands!?!

You do them the same way as you would with a rifle, but you do it with the footlocker instead.