PDA

View Full Version : Question about PT night at recruiter's office.

SamJohnston
05-02-07, 05:55 PM
I've finally stepped up to the plate and have decided to go to the weekly PT night at my local recruiters office. The only thing is I'm really nervous (I'm kind of a pu**y I know ) because I don't know what to really expect. I would appreciate it if some of the Poolees could tell me what they usually do at PT night (at least that's what I think it's called) If they have it at your recruiting office. Also, what is the proper term for the recruiter's office? I want to say RSS but I'm not sure if thats right. Thanks.

FireDawg7051
05-02-07, 06:27 PM
YEa you are a pu**y but remember you said it. How are you going to want to be a Marine and not want to pt at your recruiter (the nice guy) station? Get over it and expect the worst, you'll be suprised.

grodunt
05-02-07, 06:54 PM
What do you do? I'll tell you what my recruiter told me. "Come and find out."

Thatcher
05-02-07, 07:20 PM
If youre that nervous about hanging out with your buddies at your recruiters office and doing some pt, how do you feel about going to boot camp?

USMC90
05-02-07, 08:03 PM
I'd be jumpin' all over the place with joy If I was able to do some PT with a Marine Corps recruiter. I'm not so lucky though.

SamJohnston
05-02-07, 08:50 PM
It's not so much that I'm nervous about the PT, more about the fact that I'm a really shy and quiet kid and I'm kind of worried about making a fool of myself as I can be kind of clumsy at times. But I guess I gotta stop being so self conscious about myself if I ever want to make it through boot camp so I've decided I'm going to go to PT tomorrow no matter what. Maybe I'm not really that nervous, just exited.

mcgannph
05-02-07, 09:10 PM
Sam,

If you really want to be a Marine, then you'll learn to put the shyness and quietness behind you.

If you really want to be a Marine, and I assume that you do because you're posting on this forum, then screw what anyone else thinks about you. Go to the PT night, do your best, and be loud. People respect you if you're loud and motivated and want to be there.

Doesn't matter if you're the clumsiest kid around--if you act like you want to be there, you'll be fine.

bgsuwoody
05-02-07, 09:47 PM
Sam,

Let me explain that I am a poolee that just completed my college education (aka the 5 year detour) today actually. I am similar to you. I am the shy kid that is not too fond of everyone else espexcially bigger stronger individuals. However, I decided that I am going to be the individual that gets no less on the IST and the PFT than anyon e else. If you maintain that attitufe you will survive any situation you are placed in and will actually suprise yourself on what you can do. I know my poolee event 2 weeks from know is going to challenge me in every aspcet of my being, but I have decided to deal with it as the attempt to be the best I can be.

JoeSzynal
05-02-07, 09:55 PM
I really wish you guys could take all the fluffy stuff offline. Mothers of America read this stuff and take steps to make our job harder making you guys harder.

HurricaneRJ
05-02-07, 11:16 PM
It's not so much that I'm nervous about the PT, more about the fact that I'm a really shy and quiet kid and I'm kind of worried about making a fool of myself as I can be kind of clumsy at times. But I guess I gotta stop being so self conscious about myself if I ever want to make it through boot camp so I've decided I'm going to go to PT tomorrow no matter what. Maybe I'm not really that nervous, just exited.

Your just nervous because you don't know whats going to happen.

When I first started PT'ing with my recruiters I was fat and out of shape, couldn't do one lap around the parking lot. Well a hundred of PT days later I can do a 1.5 miles in 9:47. Can do 3 pull-ups and about 50 crunches. Lost weight doing it too.

Gotta have tough skin. No matter what, just go, who gives a **** about the guy about to go to boot camp. He will be in the same situation like you.

Just get out there and run. It's nothing hard at first but about 2-3 weeks in, it will be natural and you will see an improvement in yourself and you will start to feel great in the morning.

"Just do it"
-Nike

mcgannph
05-02-07, 11:56 PM
you can do a mile and a half in under 10 minutes but can only do 3 pull up's and 50 crunches?

....uh?

Killa K
05-03-07, 12:03 AM
Don't call yourself a damn pu$$y! You joined the United States Marine Corps and from now on you need to uphold their Corps Values: HONOR COURAGE COMMITMENT.

Freaking motivate yourself and be the best Poolee at your Recruiting station!
Nobody on this forum knows exactly what goes on at your nightly poolee events. All I have to say is the last time I PT'd at night I fell off a 100 ft. cliff at the beach.

HurricaneRJ
05-03-07, 12:21 AM
you can do a mile and a half in under 10 minutes but can only do 3 pull up's and 50 crunches?

....uh?
Try being 250 lbs. It's not easy and if that disgust you just wait.

My brother lost 50lbs in the Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning and he can't do a single pull-up. He weighs 205lbs, but aced the Army PFT.

I'm working on the crunches and Pull-ups.

mcgannph
05-03-07, 12:26 AM
No, no offense intended.

That's cool if you have improved that much.

I've just never heard of running a sub 10 minute mile and a half with the other stuff you said.

That in itself is impressive.

When you said you could only do 3 pull up's you caught me off guard, that's all.

Keep up the good work then! Best of luck on improving and scoring higher on your PFT later on.

PerXes
05-03-07, 12:39 AM
Being scared or nervous doesn't make you a pussy. Great men are the ones who overcome their apprehensions and do what is necessary.

Soon2BeVIP
05-03-07, 06:18 AM
Ya dude I understand you being nervous....alot of things you'll do will make you nervous, you just gotta suck it up and do them anyAnyways. I'm exactly like you, I'm still nervous going to the PT's. But it turned out to be actually really cool when I went. I'm not sure if by your clumsy, you meant that your scores aren't so good, but mine aren't either. As for self-confidence, you'll gain it. I ran my first mile and a half ever next to the guy who recruited me and halfway through I kept slowing down to walk and he kept yelling at me to stop being a pu$$y and I just kept screaming back I don't give a **** I am a pu$$y. Obviously that wasn't smart to say, but we're really good friends now and he calls me from Okinawa Japan (where he's stationed) now. Anyways long story short. I was nervous about PT nights, but just do your best, being nervous around the other Marines/poolees actually helped my scores. The benefits are def worth it

grodunt
05-03-07, 08:26 AM
Being scared or nervous doesn't make you a pussy. Great men are the ones who overcome their apprehensions and do what is necessary.

Well said. Rise above that fear and you'll be better for it. Because if you think you're scared know.... boot, with its drill instructors and their fun games, still looms on the horizon. :evilgrin:

BrentAndrew
05-03-07, 08:43 AM
Don't be worried!!! We played football for hours and it was a riot! Of course we ran, did crunches, and pull ups first! It helps being around the recruiters and other poolees moto helps.

SamJohnston
05-03-07, 04:41 PM
Well thanks for the motivating posts everyone, however, I am afraid I am not able to go to the PT night tonight. Although I do have a legitimate reason (or what I think is one anyway). I found out that the recruiter at my local recruiter's office has been screwing people over. I already knew he tried to screw my friend over but I though it was an isolated incidend. However, today I talked to another friend of mine and he mentioned that he knew a few people that that particular recruiter had tried to screw over, although I'm not exactly sure how. Now I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me because I probably wouldn't either but what can I say. Anyways I am going to get the number of a different recruiter to call instead, and then, I promise you, I will go down there and PT my f****** heart out.

Hobson
05-03-07, 04:48 PM
Here you go! Maybe this is more suited for you than a little bit of running with your recruiter!! I mean, I know it's hard and stuff to run in a laxed environment like poolee night.

http://www.bearfamilygifts.com/bear/gentleman-bear-rose.jpg

(I got the flowers and the teddy bears in one!)

Zulu 36
05-03-07, 04:50 PM
Try being 250 lbs. It's not easy and if that disgust you just wait.

My brother lost 50lbs in the Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning and he can't do a single pull-up. He weighs 205lbs, but aced the Army PFT.

I'm working on the crunches and Pull-ups.

Don't base anything on Army standards. I went to an Army school while in the Marines and we had to run the Army PT test as a grad requirement. The five Marines did the 1.5 mile run backwards. We got a solid pass and still beat at least half of the Army guys in the class.

The five Green Berets in our class wanted to run backwards with us, but being Army, the PT score was important to their record so they had to do their best. They were the top five finishers running forward.

HurricaneRJ
05-03-07, 05:15 PM
I know its two totally different things.

Push-Ups - Pull-ups
Situps - Crunches
2 Miles - 3 Miles.

When my cousin graduated OCS at Benning, an ABN class was rolling along and all the Marines were in front and in step. The Army had a seperate formation all dragging along.

I won't say the Army is not as a physical demanding force like the Marines, but there are a few PT nuts out here.

I only run the Army PFT, only when my brother wants to do some PT.

I do an IST everyweekend.

BrentAndrew
05-03-07, 05:34 PM
Well thanks for the motivating posts everyone, however, I am afraid I am not able to go to the PT night tonight. Although I do have a legitimate reason (or what I think is one anyway). I found out that the recruiter at my local recruiter's office has been screwing people over. I already knew he tried to screw my friend over but I though it was an isolated incidend. However, today I talked to another friend of mine and he mentioned that he knew a few people that that particular recruiter had tried to screw over, although I'm not exactly sure how. Now I wouldn't blame you if you don't believe me because I probably wouldn't either but what can I say. Anyways I am going to get the number of a different recruiter to call instead, and then, I promise you, I will go down there and PT my f****** heart out.
How do YOU know that he is screwing people? Maybe little "jimmy" didn't get what he wanted because of his background or didn't score well enough. In turn he didn't qualify for something, hence his recruiter "screwing" him. Why don't you just man up and go? I mean really whats the worst he can do at a poolee function? If you're not liking what hes giving then go somewhere else by all means, but you aren't giving the guy a chance. See for yourself!!

Wolfman07
05-03-07, 05:35 PM
I was nervous the first time I went to PT at the RSS. I got over it, went to PT and got totally destroyed. That was a over a year ago. I kept going and kept getting destroyed, but every time it gets a little easier. Never gets easy just gets easier. lol. My recruiter has a goal, making everyone that is PTing break and die, no matter what shape you are in. It works though, my 1.5 mile is 9:19, 21 pullups, and 140 crunches, started at 6 pullups, 64 crunches, and like a 11:20 1.5 mile. The stupid thing is that my 3 mile is 19:37, still need that to get down and it is really ****ing me off, running every day, Im getting down there.

Dan629
05-03-07, 05:57 PM
Question:

Is it a bad idea to leave your recruiter for another? What I mean is, will the recruiter you left try to make life hell for you? Will you have to redo MEPS? I only ask because I really like my recruiter and respect him but he is just not returning my phone calls or doing much to help me at the moment. I know he's a busy guy but its frustrating when every morning I call him and here "I'll call ya right back" and never recieve a phone call. It makes me feel like I am up his ass having to call him all day long while getting no answer. Just curious.

SamJohnston
05-03-07, 06:17 PM
Well the story my friend told me is that he tried to get him to sign his enlistment contract by telling him it was something else. When my friend read it before he signed and mentioned that it was his enlistment contract, the recruiter told him it was okay and that if he signed it now he would disregard it and not hold him to it until he was ready. Now I realize that this may just be a misunderstanding but I doubt that because I have heard that he had tried to screw other people over as well. Don't get me wrong though, he is still a Marine and I still have a ton of respect for him, I just don't want to get in too deep and then find out that he really is screwing people over because by then it will be much harder to swich recruiters because I will feel like a huge d*ck telling him I found another recruiter who is better than him because thats pretty much like telling him to go f*** himself, and I would never, ever say that to a Marine, even if he did try to screw me over.

HurricaneRJ
05-03-07, 06:23 PM
Every morning recruiters have to pick a book of a local high school they're assigned to and make alot of phone calls or there in a meeting discussing something. They have to make appointments, they have to recruit new people, by 1100 they're out the door going somewhere trying to recruit. Its a very busy job, around in the afternoon when school is out they report back to the RSS or PCS and give numbers to the guy in the back room who never comes out and who you never see.

My recruiters are all friendly, I goto the gym with two of them and the other two are real cool people, they're not *******s either. If you visit they won't mind talking. I keep my ass up there just to bide the time before going to the gym.

I don't advise you leave your recruiter, his job is to get you in and thats it. If you quit on him because he dosen't return your phone calls, then how are you going to like it when your SDI will make you play Nascar around the squad bay?

Just concentrate on PT and if you have questions, just go up there and talk, its the best way to get information.

PerXes
05-03-07, 07:22 PM
Why don't you just PT every day by yourself rather than only going one night at the recruiting office? I find I always get a better workout when I do my own thing anyway, personally.

Dan629
05-03-07, 07:22 PM
Him not returning phone calls is seriously not the only reason.. its way more complicated than that and I honestly do not want to leave my recruiter.. I think he is a cool guy and I have nothing but respect for him. I do not plan on leaving him. I am still not sworn in yet tho and everyday that goes by without any answers or direction feels like a waste. If I can I will ship the same night I swear in. I have been trying to get this done for months now and I just want answers thats all. I know he is busy but I also know it is his job to keep his recruits motivated and up to date on their position. I'm not trying to sound like a ass here but shouldn't I be a part of his busy day? Or should I just be left hanging for days at a time because he knows I am determined to become a Marine and I'm not going anywhere?

BrentAndrew
05-03-07, 07:23 PM
Well the story my friend told me is that he tried to get him to sign his enlistment contract by telling him it was something else. When my friend read it before he signed and mentioned that it was his enlistment contract, the recruiter told him it was okay and that if he signed it now he would disregard it and not hold him to it until he was ready. Now I realize that this may just be a misunderstanding but I doubt that because I have heard that he had tried to screw other people over as well. Don't get me wrong though, he is still a Marine and I still have a ton of respect for him, I just don't want to get in too deep and then find out that he really is screwing people over because by then it will be much harder to swich recruiters because I will feel like a huge d*ck telling him I found another recruiter who is better than him because thats pretty much like telling him to go f*** himself, and I would never, ever say that to a Marine, even if he did try to screw me over.
Give him a chance with you. Be sharp, tell him to explain every detail and what exactly is entailed. Tell him to SHOW you! If you have a problem work up the chain of command!

irizavrima
05-03-07, 07:54 PM
pt depends on who is running it. Some high school wrestling teams work out harder then recruits do at boot camp. I know this because one of my coaches was a Marine and the other is a professional grappling fighter. Just because you put "Marine" before "pt" doesnt mean its the hardest thing in the world.

BrentAndrew
05-03-07, 07:59 PM
pt depends on who is running it. Some high school wrestling teams work out harder then recruits do at boot camp. I know this because one of my coaches was a Marine and the other is a professional grappling fighter. Just because you put "Marine" before "pt" doesnt mean its the hardest thing in the world.

I definitely agree! Wrestling conditioning was nuts!! Let alone any of the specialized camps!

David Jameson
05-16-07, 01:02 PM
Don't call yourself names. They are going to show you what you do on a PT morning in boot camp.No one is going to bust your nuts.You may or may not have a hard time with Marine pt .To, be honest I wonder how these Jarheads find the time with all thier other duties.You probly have a case of the nerves.Watch,learn and get into it.Mind over matter .You'll be fine.You'll probly end up enjoying.
:tank: