PDA

View Full Version : Recon Training

PoolieJJB
05-01-07, 03:14 PM
Are any Marines here recon. or special ops.? If so what is the training like and when do you get the chance to try for either of these?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-07, 03:21 PM
You can take the recon indoc at just about any time. Last I heard you could get it in your contract that you will have the chance at SOI and will head off to BRC if you pass it after SOI. I don't know what you mean by Special Ops. If you mean the unit of Marines that are attached to USSOCOM, you'll be invited if they want you.

PoolieJJB
05-01-07, 10:55 PM
Huh...I'll have to ask my recruiter if I can get that in my contract. He never said anything about it but I would like to try for recon and hopefully make it. I have 21 p/u, 147 s/u and a 19:53 run time. I'm working on the running... Maybe living in Colorado will help a little bit at sea level?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-07, 11:59 PM
You need to score well on the PFT (going above the max numbers doesn't help. You get the same points whether you do 20 or 2000 pull ups- same with crunches- 100 is all you need). But, that is just the start. If you prove you are good to go with the PFT (275 is the score you need if you have the recon contract) you will then get to start the indoc.

First Force's current RIP (indoc) requires you to run two obstacle courses in under two minutes. Swin 500 meters in full cammies in under 17:00 (and some other water exercises) and a ten mile hump in under two hours- with a 50 pound pack.

You will also have to do the level test, which is:
Push ups
Sit ups
Pull ups
Flutter Kicks
8 Count pushups
scissors
Two minutes for each exercise.

There is also a 20 mile hump at about 4 miles per hour and a four mile run with the 50 pound pack.

Then you run the PFT again. Assuming you pass all of that you have an interview with the team leader and company CO. You can pass all of the physical tests and still not be selected. If you are selected you'll be assigned to RIP platoon and go through BRS at Coronado or Little Creek. While at the school you are not given liberty and will train most of the day and sometimes night. If you make it through the school you become are given the recon MOS.

rvillac2
05-02-07, 12:49 AM
LOL...Thanks for the info E4B.
It makes me tired just reading it. ha ha ha ha.

Those guys are high speed. ; )

Marine84
05-02-07, 07:59 AM
High speed and CRAZY as hell!

PoolieJJB
05-02-07, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info Echo Four. It sounds like I have some work to do, I have until July 9th before I go to boot camp so I'll have to do everything I can in the next month and a half. My recruiter said that they look for leadership a lot too.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 11:31 AM
Not much time for them to look for leadership. All they're going to see is you trying to pass the indoc. Most people won't pass, and they don't expect for you to be trying to help anyone else through it. Out of 10 people taking the test, it isn't unusual for only one to pass. In the interview it would behoove you to be very humble. They aren't looking for Rambo wannabes. They want people with heart and drive. They want people that prove they're going to keep pushing through the pain to accomplish their mission.

PoolieJJB
05-02-07, 09:15 PM
Well, I definately want to do it. I need to work even harder than I have been because I really do want it....I mean I guess that I don't really know right now because I've never been there. It sounds like something that I'm interested in though.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-07, 10:35 PM
You should try to do it if that's what you want to do. But, it isn't easy and there is no promise that you'll make it. Don't enlist thinking that is where you're headed. Enlist knowing full well that chances are you're going to be a Marine in an infantry company and then bust your butt to make it where you want to be.

PoolieJJB
05-03-07, 01:44 PM
Yeah, when I got in the DEP my plans were to to be Infantry but I want to shoot for Recon and if I make it then that'll be awesome but if I don't then infantry is what I wanted to do in the first place. I'll definately work for Recon though. Either way I think it would be cool to do whichever one I get.