PDA

View Full Version : 'Still a force'

thedrifter
04-29-07, 06:31 AM
April 29, 2007 - 12:00AM
'Still a force'

ROSELEE PAPANDREA
DAILY NEWS STAFF
If the nation's leaders called, many Vietnam veterans wouldn't hesitate to answer.

"Our leadership knows you are still a force to be reckoned with," said retired Marine Col. Paul O'Toole at a Vietnam Veterans Appreciation Day ceremony Saturday morning at Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery.

"You are still a force who can accomplish the mission," O'Toole said to the crowd of about 100 people.

O'Toole, the guest speaker at the annual event hosted by Chapter 654 of the Vietnam Veterans of America, regaled the group with stories about the many Vietnam veterans that have crossed his path.

Some were killed in action. Some, just like O'Toole, fought and escaped without injury. Some enlisted to serve and were never sent to Vietnam, and others still carry the wounds - both physical and psychological - left behind by what he called our nation's "cruelest" war.

The flag, those who served in war and their families as well as the strategic reserve were the topics on O'Toole's mind.

"When I look at the flag, I see our culture, our way of life, our freedoms, our value," he said. "... I also see a virtual chain of events that keep that flag flying."

O'Toole reminded the Vietnam veterans in attendance of their value and honored them for their service.

"You did not lose on the battlefield," he said.

O'Toole encouraged those in attendance to share their own stories with others and to use their "tongues, pens and typing fingers" to communicate with local, state and federal politicians and in their newspaper.

"Most people in this country don't understand war or readiness," O'Toole said. "... We need you. You are among the few who understand war and a lack of readiness. ... That flag stays flying only as long as there are enough people willing to stand up and make sure it's there."

When O'Toole completed his remarks, he along with Paul Crowell Jr., the state president of the Vietnam Veterans of America, and Donna Crowell participated in the laying of the wreath.

A 21-gun salute and playing of "Taps" followed.

Several people in attendance noted the empty bleachers and chairs and thought there should be more people in attendance.

"I sure would like to see a bigger turnout one of these days," said John Orr, a member of the Vietnam Veterans of America.

Veterans of other wars, Rolling Thunder, a group dedicated to publicizing Prisoner of War/Missing in Action issues, several county commissioners as well as state representatives were among those in attendance with Vietnam veterans.

Contact staff writer Roselee Papandrea at rpapandrea@freedomenc.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 8465.

Ellie