PDA

View Full Version : Dress Blues Coats...

CantWaitToSign
04-28-07, 07:22 PM
I was just looking at my dad's dress blues uniform today and I realized his coat is a really dark blue. However my recruiter was wearing his dress blues last thrusday and his coat was black. Is this just because the colors changed over time or is this a different kind of dress blues?

SkilletsUSMC
04-28-07, 07:29 PM
Its because in low light the dark blue looks black. Mine does the same thing depending on the light.

CantWaitToSign
04-28-07, 07:33 PM
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure because thats a pretty big range gap of colors. Well thank you Corporal!

skoozi
04-28-07, 07:42 PM
thats a pretty big range gap of colors.

Very dark blue and black?

CantWaitToSign
04-28-07, 07:48 PM
Yea like say something is gray and then silver they are still pretty much the same thing however you can still pick them apart. For example "that cars silver that one is gray"

skoozi
04-28-07, 08:09 PM
Silver is simply a lustrous gray, which is why the two are easy to tell apart.

My point was that there is not a "big range gap" between a very dark hue of blue and black.

Quinbo
04-28-07, 08:21 PM
The newer coats are made of gaberdine which holds the original color better longer. The old coats were made of wool and probably just faded with age. They are all dyed indigo blue which indeed appears black.

CantWaitToSign
04-28-07, 09:09 PM
Bulkyker now that's the answer I'm looking for nice and thorough explanation. Thank you very much!

Achped
04-29-07, 05:19 AM
I saw a new Corporal's blouse next to an older GySgt's blouse at an army navy store. I swear the new one looked flat black and the old one was Navy blue.

But now I understand why