View Full Version : Brothers honor fallen friends

thedrifter
04-27-07, 09:05 AM
Brothers honor fallen friends
Marines say their good-byes to those who didn't return

April 27, 2007

BY JOE SWICKARD

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. -- A slow, wistful "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys" played as 1,000 pairs of combat boots came from the bright desert sun into the dimmed theater.

Almost silently, the 1/24th Reserve Marines filled the tiered auditorium that serves as a movie theater and lecture hall at their training base in the Mojave Desert.

The lights were low. A single spot shone on stage right, where the American flag was crossed with the battalion's Marine Corps banner. Before the flags were a pair of combat boots and an M16 rifle, topped by a helmet. A set of dog tags hung from the weapon.

"All hands on deck," came the shouted order, and the Michigan-based Marines snapped upright, ready to honor their 22 buddies who died in and around Fallujah during the outfit's seven-month deployment to Iraq.

The service would be as lean and taut as the men it honored. Thirty-four minutes for remarks, prayers and reflection.

Maj. Gen. Robert Neller, a native of East Lansing, welcomed and saluted the 1/24th, whose men will leave California for their homes and their civilian lives this weekend.

"Shake the hand of the guy next to you for being in a great battalion," Neller said. "You guys did your mission. You did your job."

Sgt. Maj. Joe Leshinsky called the names in a clear parade ground voice as their Marine Corps photos were projected onto the movie screen.

"Pray for the families," said Navy Lt. Christopher Martin, the battalion chaplain. "And protect us on our last step of our journey home."

Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Odie VanOpdorp said the 1/24th's success "did not come without a cost."

You are, VanOpdorp told them, like the army of Shakespeare's "Henry V": "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

Then the men read the Marine's Prayer.

"Keep me true to my best self," they said. "Protect my family. ... Give me the will to do the work of a Marine.

"Steady my faith. ... If I should miss the mark, give me the courage to try again."

The photos were shown again, but this time interspersed with snapshots of the fallen Marines clowning with buddies, napping, flexing muscles and grinning.

Between each man's photos, Gunnery Sgt. Jonathan Morris of Saginaw and Lance Cpls. Landon Bentz of Columbus, Ohio, and Stephen McGinnis of Philadelphia rang a ship's bell four times.

The last ring was allowed to fade into silence as taps rose from a lone bugle.

Then, the men of the 1/24th filed outside, somber and blinking into the desert sun.

Contact JOE SWICKARD at 313-222-8769 or jswickard@freepress.com.

Ellie