PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Recon Marines return from 7-month Iraq tour

thedrifter
04-26-07, 06:23 AM
3rd Recon Marines return from 7-month Iraq tour

By Lance Cpl. Richard Blumenstein, MCB Camp Butler

CAMP SCHWAB, OKINAWA, Japan (April 26, 2007) -- More than 200 Marines with 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, returned from a 7-month Iraq deployment to family and friends on Camp Schwab late in the evening April 24.

In Iraq, the Marines conducted reconnaissance, security and civil affairs missions in support of Regimental Combat Teams 5 and 6 in Anbar Province. The battalion’s mission included helping the local Iraqi community and engaging enemy terrorists, according to Lt. Col. William Seely, the battalion’s commanding officer.

“No mission is too tough,” Seely said. “All the missions were performed successfully because we were mission ready and focused on the enemy insurgents. As a reconnaissance unit, we go out and find the enemy. The areas we were in had a marked decrease in enemy activity.”

Seely said the Marines performed exceptionally during the deployment because of their positive attitudes and strong beliefs in what they were doing.

“I think they went above and beyond,” Seely said. “They performed with their hearts and minds. I think they really had an impact in improving the circumstances in Fallujah.”

Sgt. David Pennington, a warehouse clerk with the battalion, met his 4-month-old son for the first time when he returned.

“I can’t believe I’m a father,” Pennington said. “It’s overwhelming.”

Staff Sgt. Erik J. Toney, a reconnaissance man with the battalion, made it home just in time. His wife Teresa, who is expecting their child in three weeks, said she was worried her husband would not return in time to see their second child’s birth.

“He was in Iraq when we had our first son,” Teresa said. “I’m so glad he’s going to make it this time.”

In addition to the family members who gathered to witness the return, the Recon Marines were surprised to see a few unexpected faces at the homecoming.

Cpl. Josh D. Pappas, Sgt. William Edwards and Sgt. Samuel W. Meek traveled from the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, to greet the Marines.

“I didn’t tell any of these guys we were coming here,” Pappas said. “I wanted to surprise the boys.”

The three Marines deployed with the battalion, but after receiving wounds from an improvised explosive device in December, they were transported to Brooke Army Medical Center where they were treated for burns.

“Reconnaissance units are always tightly knit,” Seely said. “That’s why they made the journey.”

Not every Marine in this tight knit unit made it to the homecoming however, and among the smiles and hugs of the celebration, the somber memories of those who gave their life in Iraq were never far from anyone’s mind.

Sgt. Gary S. Johnson, a field radio operator and 1st Lt. Nathan M. Krissoff, a counter-intelligence officer, were killed while conducting operations against enemy forces in Anbar Province. Krissoff died Dec. 9, and Johnson died Jan. 23.

“Those men were exceptional Marines,” Seely said. “They’re survived by honor and distinction.”

“I just hope they know I’ll never forget them,” said Staff. Sgt. Francis J. Branden, the Alpha company communications chief.

Ellie