PDA

View Full Version : Tampons

ItzAlex
04-24-07, 12:33 PM
So... I was at a poolee meeting whith fresh graduates. We were chatting and when somehow the topic came to me asking if he was active or reserve.
He replies "Hell no, I aint no tampon."

For those of you that dont know, tampons is the nickname for reserves because they go to base once every month...

This just gets me thinking, isnt earning the title Marine the important thing? Why would an activive duty Marine look down at a reserve Marine if they have earned the same Title and gone through the same 13 weeks of hell? Being a reserve dosent make you any less of a Marine...
To me it just seems like such a contridiction when i watch the Marine comercial some guy said "When a brand new PFC joins the company, we treat him like any other Marine..."

Bottom line is why wouldnt reservists deserve the same respect as active duty Marines. I'm going to be a reservist because I want to finish college.

PerXes
04-24-07, 12:48 PM
Don't let these people talk down on you. Reservists do deserve the same respect as everyone else. We fight and die like everyone else, and we make sacrifices like everyone else when our country needs us to. If someone gives you ****, just ignore them, they're retarded.

HurricaneRJ
04-24-07, 01:15 PM
So... I was at a poolee meeting whith fresh graduates. We were chatting and when somehow the topic came to me asking if he was active or reserve.
He replies "Hell no, I aint no tampon."

For those of you that dont know, tampons is the nickname for reserves because they go to base once every month...

This just gets me thinking, isnt earning the title Marine the important thing? Why would an activive duty Marine look down at a reserve Marine if they have earned the same Title and gone through the same 13 weeks of hell? Being a reserve dosent make you any less of a Marine...
To me it just seems like such a contridiction when i watch the Marine comercial some guy said "When a brand new PFC joins the company, we treat him like any other Marine..."

Bottom line is why wouldnt reservists deserve the same respect as active duty Marines. I'm going to be a reservist because I want to finish college.

From my expereince with the Marines who return after bootcamp, they refer reservist as tampons because how women need them at least once a month.

Don't buy into the crap, Marines on reserve status are no longer called "Reservist". They went to the same schools, they've done the same training as active duty Marines. If and when you earn the title your a Marine! bottom line.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 01:18 PM
As far as earning the Title Marine being the important thing, I say Yes and No. Being a reservist is nothing like being active duty. You rate the respect of being a Marine, but the AD Marines will talk down to you. (Sometimes out of jealousy;) ) The Marine Corps is a place where people are brutally honest. Active Duty Marines will look at you like a weekend warrior, and say you have honor courage, but no commitment. which is somewhat true, somewhat bogus.

Being a Marine doesnt mean no one talks **** to you anymore. If anything the **** talking gets worse. Thats why you need thick skin.

"When a brand new PFC joins the company, we treat him like any other Marine..."

I heard that and busted out in laughter.

Marine84
04-24-07, 01:24 PM
I don't think it's so much a disrespect thing or being looked down on. We DO realize that Reservists go through the same bootcamp and everything HOWEVER they DON'T do it 24/7/365. They are no less of a Marine in my book and the tampon thing is more of a joke - if you think about it, you DO only need a tampon once a month and once a year you may have things thrown "outta whack" and you'll need them for a couple of weeks.

A lot of us just had bad experiances with Reservists - since they don't do it all the time, some really didn't give a fat baby's a$$ if they did it for that weekend either or couldn't keep their minds on what they should have for the 2 weeks they were commited - makes for bad morale.

Marines are competitive as hell too - even between us AD ones - it's ALWAYS one group against another over something. Don't take it personally when somebody calls you a tampon - just a little ribbin'.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 01:45 PM
I am going to let all of you poolees in on a secret. Boot Camp is the easy part of the Marine Corps. Sure, you're tested and pushed- but it is what it is. Active duty Marines will continue to go through the fire for their entire career. You are always training to be better. You are always being pushed to your limits. You are always being watched. Life isn't always fun and games. There are the times when your platoon sgt is fighting with his wife, so you get to work on Saturday. Someone will fail a field day inpection, so you will empty your entire room and field day on Saturday starting at 0530. You may PT five times a week- and in the fleet runs are much faster and longer than they are in boot camp. The list goes on and on.

As a reservist you show up on Friday or Saturday, talk to some friends you haven't seen in a month, then you go on a camping trip. My time in the reserves did not include one moment of stress the entire time I was doing it. In the fleet we would have thought it was a waste of time to go to the field for two weeks. We often went for months at a time. But, as a reservist they took a vacation at the end of CAX to go to Vegas. Instead of training for those additional days, they went and had a party. Sorry, but it isn't the same thing.

As a reservist you are a Marine, and you deserve to be treated as such. But, it is not the same as being on active duty and it is an insult to the people that do it day in day out 365 days a year to pretend that there is no difference.

sgt tony
04-24-07, 02:01 PM
Yep you all are Marines but then you have the full timers and then you have some timers. Just like Grunts and Wingers

Robert Browell
04-24-07, 02:42 PM
:yes: Well I've been both a Grunt and a winger,both terms refer to MARINES. whilst stationed at Santa Ana,we had reservist from Olathe KS as our "guest".at that time a lot of people joined the reserves to avoid both,the draft and westpac orders.the boys from Olathe,were the most undisciplined mob that I have ever seen.Before they left us,one of their corporals,got to be a private again.I guess he didn't know I was a grunt retread!yup it was me that got him.Direct disobedience to a lawful order!! they tread lightly around me after that.Maybe thats why the wingers called me Sgt. Ogre.:flag: :iwo:

yellowwing
04-24-07, 03:12 PM
Every Marine has a job to do and a Duty to himself and The Corps.

PerXes
04-24-07, 03:57 PM
I don't think anybody will be giving a **** when the rounds are coming downrange whether the guy with you is a reservist or an active guy. All this stuff is just bored, nothing better to do bull**** talk.

I'd be willing to bet anything that when it comes to fighting(where it all really matters), reservists fight just as well as anyone.

Here's a Chesty Puller quote for you: "I think the only thing we active duty guys are good for is keeping the weapons clean and ready for you reservists."

killerinstinct
04-24-07, 04:07 PM
As far as earning the Title Marine being the important thing, I say Yes and No. Being a reservist is nothing like being active duty. You rate the respect of being a Marine, but the AD Marines will talk down to you. (Sometimes out of jealousy;) ) The Marine Corps is a place where people are brutally honest. Active Duty Marines will look at you like a weekend warrior, and say you have honor courage, but no commitment. which is somewhat true, somewhat bogus.

Being a Marine doesnt mean no one talks **** to you anymore. If anything the **** talking gets worse. Thats why you need thick skin.

HAHAH yup every pfc is the same once they hit the fleet

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:54X_D0pm-0qqpM:http://www.hill.af.mil/bright/photos/103016.jpg

drumcorpssnare
04-24-07, 04:14 PM
I have one interesting memory from boot camp, regarding Marine reservists.
Our series was in ITR (1972) at Camp Geiger. Our drill instructor marched us to chow. Granted, we weren't yet Marines...but our $hit was tight. We were squared away.
Standing outside the mess hall was a company of Marine reservists. They were in utilities. None were starched. Some were dirty. Boots were unshined. Some had their trousers bloused; others not. Most needed haircuts. When their Capt. came out and called the formation to attention, a few continued to flap their dick-smokers. Some were still smoking cigarettes.
Our drill instructor was HOT! He ran right in the middle of the reservist formation and got in this guys face! When the Capt. said something to our drill instructor, he ignored the Capt.
Then our drill instructor gave our platoon the command, "About face!" He then went on and on about how he didn't want HIS recruits to see the $hitbag weekend warriors, contaminating HIS recruits, "...they should be ashamed of themselves..." etc.
I thought to myself..."Whoooa!"

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 04:21 PM
I don't think anybody will be giving a **** when the rounds are coming downrange whether the guy with you is a reservist or an active guy. All this stuff is just bored, nothing better to do bull**** talk.

I'd be willing to bet anything that when it comes to fighting(where it all really matters), reservists fight just as well as anyone.

Here's a Chesty Puller quote for you: "I think the only thing we active duty guys are good for is keeping the weapons clean and ready for you reservists."

By the time rounds have "gone down range" the said reservists will have been activated for quite some time, and thus become active duty.

Theres no way, any way that a reservist unit can be as well trained, as an active unit. If you have never been acitve, then you cant really know, but for those that have gone reserves after having been active duty see the difference.

rktect3j
04-24-07, 04:53 PM
Everybody here has already said the obvious. We are all Marines. But even though we are all Marines, there is still a pecking order of sorts. Just the way it is. Mostly done out of fun though.

Soon2BeVIP
04-24-07, 05:59 PM
As a reservist you are a Marine, and you deserve to be treated as such. But, it is not the same as being on active duty and it is an insult to the people that do it day in day out 365 days a year to pretend that there is no difference.
That's what I was thinking as I read this. Of course Reserve Marines are still Marines and are awesome people. They are Marines and staying prepared, but they are staying prepared for when they are needed to go active. The whole point of reserves is to keep them prepared for active. So of course someone active has it alot harder.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 06:22 PM

Nope, I cared a LOT, that is why I left the reserves. I did not trust those people enough to go to war with them. Sorry, but they just aren't as good as their active duty counterparts. Nothing you can say could change that reality.

You say that when it comes to fighting reserves are just as good. I'm going to pose this a different way. Let's take two NFL teams. One of them will practice every day, always preparing for the big game. The other team will practice twice a month and for two weeks in the summer time. When those two teams play, who is going to win? The premise is the same with Marines, but instead of playing a game it is a matter of life and death.

Marine84
04-24-07, 08:15 PM
I'm going to be a reservist because I want to finish college.

That's another reason why right there. You'll be one of those that thinks a unit should let you sit off to the side and study for that BIG exam coming up on Monday instead of teaching you how to save a fellow Marine's a$$ by watching it for him.

I'm sorry, I think it's great that kids want to get an education but, NOT by joining ANY branch of service, much less the Corps. THAT'S how they're getting you guys.................using college as a selling point - I guess in some places on the map that works. While they're handing out checks, do they at least give you a REALITY check as to the possibility you'll go AD? What if you have to drop and run - will all that class time STILL be good when you get back? Will it transfer if and when you do? How long will it take to do it that way? Do you REALLY understand what it is you're signing up for by joining the Corps?

It may work out for you where you will skate through a contract and, if it does, I'm happy for you. At least you'll be smarter (somewhat). What is your major anyway? If you tell me "Art", I will PERSONALLY come and whoop your a$$ MYSELF! I'm older than you, I have more money and can pack a bag and be on the next flight.

PerXes
04-24-07, 09:42 PM
That's another reason why right there. You'll be one of those that thinks a unit should let you sit off to the side and study for that BIG exam coming up on Monday instead of teaching you how to save a fellow Marine's a$$ by watching it for him.

Bull ****, man. You don't know anything about this kid, how can you even say that? I'll have you know that the reservists in my unit don't pull that ****. You probably ran into one Marine that did that and you're applying it to all of us. There are bountiful amounts of Marines in my company who had their college careers interrupted by this current war, and I haven't heard a one of them say jack about it. Not to mention when they were taking volunteers to go back, there were tons of Marines in college who volunteered, which would prolong their years in college even more.

You should really stop making assumptions about people whom you know nothing about.

Marine84
04-24-07, 09:46 PM
Whatever!

If you read previous posts I said just THAT - a lot of us DID have bad encounters with some and not ALL of YOU are like that. Don't get your panties in a wad!

And, just for the record, it was a slew of them I ran into that were like that. It got to the point where we put them to policing the place and field daying it just so we could get some work done seeing as to how we HAD to be there. I saw one particular doofus try to shrink a freaking straw over a wire instead of taking his stupid a$$ to supply to get more heat shrink. After all the straw WAS the same color - he thought nobody would notice. His stupidity could have gotten somebody killed had somebody NOT noticed what he had done.

PerXes
04-24-07, 10:12 PM
So what if you ran into a slew of reservists who weren't tight? If everyone used the bad examples of Marines to form their opinions, we'd all be seen as a bunch of murderers.

Every organization has its stragglers. There are plenty of active duty Marines who are **** as well...probably more than in the reserves.

Let me run this by you: in WWII, 44 out of 82 Medals of Honor went to reservists.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 10:34 PM
Let me run this by you: in WWII, 44 out of 82 Medals of Honor went to reservists.

BULL**** PX...

the 4th 5th and 6th Marine Divisions were all ACTIVE DUTY durring the second world war.

PerXes
04-24-07, 10:36 PM
Check it out, brother.

1941-1945 – Of the 589,852 Marines to serve during World War II, approximately 70% were Reserves. These numbers include women serving within the Women’s Reserve whose component was added to the Marine Corps 13 February 1943. Forty–four of the 82 Marine Medal of Honor recipients were reservists.

Source: http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Historical/Frequently_Requested/Highlights_Reserve_History.htm

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 10:39 PM
PerXes, I could find a statistic that says the typical male has seventy three pounds of bubble gum in the butt, but it doesn't prove a point- just as what you are saying doesn't prove the point you're trying to make. In WWII, those Reserve Marines didn't do a one year tour and then rotate back to their normal lives. They were on active duty for the duration. So, when someone was activated in Jan. of 1942, it would be fair to say they were as well trained as an active duty Marine by 1945. Or, when a Marine went through boot camp, training, and was sent to the Pacific without going home, but as a reservist- it doesn't really apply to what we have today.

I am not trying to insult you, or any other reservist. But, it is a simple fact that you are not as well prepared or trained as those with your same job that are on active duty. I've seen both sides, and I know what the difference is. I would guess you are an exception, that you spend time away from your drill weekend on Marine Corps related things. Maybe 10 people out of my entire reserve company did that, and I would guess that my number is inflated.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 10:40 PM
Check it out, brother.

1941-1945 – Of the 589,852 Marines to serve during World War II, approximately 70% were Reserves. These numbers include women serving within the Women’s Reserve whose component was added to the Marine Corps 13 February 1943. Forty–four of the 82 Marine Medal of Honor recipients were reservists.

Source: http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Historical/Frequently_Requested/Highlights_Reserve_History.htm

No no no... post what you want, BUT my grandfather was one of those suposed "reservists", yet he was active duty everyday. He enlisted, went to boot, school, and then to the war and never came back untill the he was too wounded to fight. On his DD214, and Silver star citation, it says Marine reserves but he was no reservist.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 10:41 PM
Skillets, a lot of the Marines were technically reservists even though they were sent through the pipeline and overseas just as the active duty Marines were. When authorized for the buildup, Congress decided to make most of the new boat spaces reserves for some reason. They were not reservists as we understand the term, but their official branch would have been USMCR.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 10:42 PM
Skillets, a lot of the Marines were technically reservists even though they were sent through the pipeline and overseas just as the active duty Marines were. When authorized for the buildup, Congress decided to make most of the new boat spaces reserves for some reason. They were not reservists as we understand the term, but their official branch would have been USMCR.

Im guessing you didnt read the post above.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 10:46 PM
You posted it while I was posting. It wasn't there when I starte typing and it was there when I hit submit. Regardless, we made the same point. And I had made it in a post above yours as well. :beer:

PerXes
04-24-07, 10:49 PM
Once a reservist gets back from a tour, won't he have learned everything that an active duty guy knows?

PerXes
04-24-07, 10:57 PM
What's more: Your grandfather was sent over to WWII right out of boot and combat training, right? And he still fought great, right? And there were tons of Marines who were in that situation, right?

So here we have all these Marines who have the absolute minimum training, and they're still doing just as good as the active duty guys who were in the Marine Corps before the war even started. Tell me how that's different from current Reservists.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-24-07, 10:58 PM
Not really. He will have learned a lot. He will know as much as an active duty Marine about the area in which he was working. But honestly, in a year long tour you have spent a year on active duty. Do you really think that would allow you to know as much as a Sgt. that has spent every day in the Marine Corps for the last 8 years or so?

As I said, I am in no way trying to insult reservists. We couldn't function without them, and they are doing great things in the current war- just as they always have. Given the choice of fighting beside the Army or Marine Reserves, I'll take the Marines every single time. But, that doesn't change the fact that there are some things that are just different.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 11:04 PM
Once a reservist gets back from a tour, won't he have learned everything that an active duty guy knows?

Sure, but the longer between deployments the more his skill and tactics get rusty. You being a reservist dont know this, but we spend ALL DAY talking rehearsing, eating, sleeping, the Corps and our tactics. We also put up with highers bull**** every day. we stand duty, fire watch, have our liberty secured, have health and comfort inspections, gut check PT.... the list goes on.

Im sure when your unit gets activated, youll be on-it like blue-bonnet, but not now... NO WAY. Sorry.

PerXes
04-24-07, 11:11 PM
Yes, he will learn a lot. Just like everybody that goes to war gets training about where he'll be going. But he will have received the minimum possible. You still haven't told me how that's different from current reservists.

Will he know as much as a Sergeant? No. But will he be able to fight pretty much at the same level(or pretty close)? Yeah. Look at Dan Daly. He killed all those Boxers as a private(PFC?). Heck, most of the awards given out were to privates and PFCs.

PerXes
04-24-07, 11:13 PM
Sure, but the longer between deployments the more his skill and tactics get rusty. You being a reservist dont know this, but we spend ALL DAY talking rehearsing, eating, sleeping, the Corps and our tactics. We also put up with highers bull**** every day. we stand duty, fire watch, have our liberty secured, have health and comfort inspections, gut check PT.... the list goes on.

Im sure when your unit gets activated, youll be on-it like blue-bonnet, but not now... NO WAY. Sorry.

Ah ok, so like I said before, when it comes down to the fighting, Reservists do it just as well. At least from your last sentences, that's what I'm gathering that you're saying.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 11:18 PM
Yes, but they need time to spin up to the active duty standards.

Soon2BeVIP
04-24-07, 11:20 PM
Ah ok, so like I said before, when it comes down to the fighting, Reservists do it just as well
I dunno how the rules are with poolees talking in these situations, but since it's in the poolee section why not?

But this quote makes it sound like you don't learn anything new while being active duty. From what I've learned from people so far, you are always learning something while serving, so in theory wouldn't someone that's already AD be better in these situations. Not saying that Reserves wouldn't be useful at all, they obviously are, just wouldn't the AD people be more prepared. I'm just thinking that first-hand experience would obviously give them the upperhand rather than monthly meetings.

USMC90
04-24-07, 11:22 PM
Damn Alex! You just shook a hornets nest.

PerXes
04-24-07, 11:27 PM
Yes, but they need time to spin up to the active duty standards.

OK then, we're in agreement. Cool.

PerXes
04-24-07, 11:34 PM
I dunno how the rules are with poolees talking in these situations, but since it's in the poolee section why not?

But this quote makes it sound like you don't learn anything new while being active duty. From what I've learned from people so far, you are always learning something while serving, so in theory wouldn't someone that's already AD be better in these situations. Not saying that Reserves wouldn't be useful at all, they obviously are, just wouldn't the AD people be more prepared. I'm just thinking that first-hand experience would obviously give them the upperhand rather than monthly meetings.

Reservists do get first hand experience. We don't go down there and have little cake parties. We spend Thursday through Sunday doing training.

SkilletsUSMC
04-24-07, 11:42 PM
PX.... come on... you know you want to... go active.... do it ;)

Marine84
04-25-07, 07:51 AM
PX.... come on... you know you want to... go active.... do it ;)

LOL!

PerXes
04-25-07, 08:02 AM
Haha well yeah I'm gonna, no question about that.

yellowwing
04-25-07, 08:07 AM
What ever you decide, just do your job! :usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-25-07, 12:52 PM
Haha well yeah I'm gonna, no question about that.

That is great news for the Corps, and I think for you. And when you get on active duty I think you'll understand.

CantWaitToSign
04-26-07, 11:30 AM

Hahaha yeah even my recruiters tell us with incentive to get our referrals in "Look poolees get your referrals in so you'll be PFC. because the quicker youre and NCO the better! Being a Pvt or PFC...sucks!"

Phantom Blooper
04-26-07, 11:39 AM
Tampons.................Are you going light,regular,super,or super plus ?:banana:

Whatever you decide go into it whole heart and with Marine Corps pride!:evilgrin:

ItzAlex
04-26-07, 11:46 AM

I'm sorry, I think it's great that kids want to get an education but, NOT by joining ANY branch of service, much less the Corps. THAT'S how they're getting you guys.................using college as a selling point - I guess in some places on the map that works. While they're handing out checks, do they at least give you a REALITY check as to the possibility you'll go AD? What if you have to drop and run - will all that class time STILL be good when you get back? Will it transfer if and when you do? How long will it take to do it that way? Do you REALLY understand what it is you're signing up for by joining the Corps?

It may work out for you where you will skate through a contract and, if it does, I'm happy for you. At least you'll be smarter (somewhat). What is your major anyway? If you tell me "Art", I will PERSONALLY come and whoop your a$$ MYSELF! I'm older than you, I have more money and can pack a bag and be on the next flight.
I major in business Marketing. Sir, I didnt not sign on the dotted line because I need money to go to college. Right now I'm already going to the biggest business school fully paid by the school. I have a high enough ASVAB to do any job in the Air Force, yet I choose to join the Corps. A recruiter never stopped me. I walked into the recruiter's office to find a recruiter. I worked a hard 6 months to lose 60 lbs just to be able to DEP in. I'm not doing this for money and benefits. I know all about the GI bill kicker and allowances and ect, yet I keep my mouth shut and didnt ask my recruiter to put it into my contract. I'm doing it for glory and pride. For the self discipline and leadership skills. Recently theres another reason to my list. I come from an Asian background. As we all know about the VT shooting incident was carried out by an Asian kid. I want to show the world Asians are not like Cho.

I will first and foremost answer my country's call. I do not expect the Corps to work around my schedule. I have already talked to my student advisor about deploying and she told me i have two options: ask the professor for extensions or drop the classes. My school dont care if i'm going to deploy or not. That does not matter to me. I'll drop the classes if I have to.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-26-07, 01:34 PM
First, you need to pay attention to detail. Marine84 is not a sir.

Second, if you are enlisting for glory and pride you are joining for the wrong reasons. You had it right when you said you wanted to answer your country's call- stick with that.

And, remember that if you deploy there is a third option you may have to take, which is fail the course. If you get orders to deploy after the last day to drop courses and the professor will not give you an extension (which would have to be over one year, and is often not possible anyway) you get to fail. I have seen it happen to some people, and it will be a possibility with you.

Marine84
04-26-07, 02:40 PM
It's OK E4B - I've thought a lot of these male poolees were girls until I looked at profiles.

davblay
04-26-07, 02:44 PM
That's my gal!!

yellowwing
04-26-07, 02:48 PM
Girls or grrls? :banana:

"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human, ****ing beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian ****."

drumcorpssnare
04-26-07, 02:48 PM
Marine84- Now THAT.....is freakin' hilarious!!!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Marine84
04-26-07, 03:13 PM
Girls Wing - they don't rate "grrls" until they get the Title with it!

Quinbo
04-26-07, 04:33 PM
As a boot I was taught that it is acceptable to call female officers sir. It can be done so without implying some kind of butch thing and sir is a sign of respect regardless of gender. It is also an idiot move to call a male officer maam.

If you get called up for deployment mid-term ask the prof or teach for a challenge test. Passing a challenge test will get you credit for the course although it has no effect on your GPA.

;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-26-07, 04:36 PM
I had a WM Lt. and I promise she would have murdered you if you called her sir.

Challenge tests aren't a universal thing- not all schools have such a provision.

Soon2BeVIP
04-26-07, 05:24 PM
Recently theres another reason to my list. I come from an Asian background. As we all know about the VT shooting incident was carried out by an Asian kid. I want to show the world Asians are not like Cho.
Ya I never understood that. A Korean group even apologized for it. In no way does his Asian-ness have to do with what he did. That'd be like me having to prove to the world that all caucasians are not like the kids at columbine. It makes no sense.

Marine84
04-26-07, 07:34 PM
Being of the female species - I would be highly p!ssed if somebody called me Sir - it's one thing to do it here (because I know my profile wasn't looked at first) but, standing in front of somebody and get called Sir - big as "the girls" are - I don't think so.

Bulkyker - that must have been one of those things they were hoping you would get "christened" with.

ItzAlex
05-03-07, 10:24 AM
First, you need to pay attention to detail. Marine84 is not a sir.

Second, if you are enlisting for glory and pride you are joining for the wrong reasons. You had it right when you said you wanted to answer your country's call- stick with that.

And, remember that if you deploy there is a third option you may have to take, which is fail the course. If you get orders to deploy after the last day to drop courses and the professor will not give you an extension (which would have to be over one year, and is often not possible anyway) you get to fail. I have seen it happen to some people, and it will be a possibility with you.

Whats wrong with telling the truth? I did join for glory and pride. My father was an army ranger. Hes always sharing his war stories about his glory and I'm damn proud to have a father that served in Vietnam. I want to uphold that pride and share the glory of defending this great nation that my father did (and grandfather). However, I want to be more hardcore than him, and thats why its the USMC and not the army that I'm intrested in.

If my only choice is to fail the class, so be it. I think it would be better answer for a job interview to tell him "I might have failed this class, but instead I was learning leadership skills and management skills, which is probably far more important to the success of your company than calculus. Besides my tour in Iraq taught me .... <WHATEVER be might it>.

I apologize to Marine84 for calling her a sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-07, 10:35 AM
War is not glorious. It may be in your head, but I promise you won't think so after you get shot at or watch your best friend die. If you are joining for glory and pride you are joining for the wrong reason and you're going to be miserable. You said you wanted to be hardcore- yet you're going to be a reservist. You may want to think about that.

If you're willing to fail the class then the question is answered. I hope it doesn't happen to you. It makes me sick when colleges allow something like that to happen- but sometimes it does.

ItzAlex
05-03-07, 11:00 AM
War is not glorious. It may be in your head, but I promise you won't think so after you get shot at or watch your best friend die. If you are joining for glory and pride you are joining for the wrong reason and you're going to be miserable. You said you wanted to be hardcore- yet you're going to be a reservist. You may want to think about that.

If you're willing to fail the class then the question is answered. I hope it doesn't happen to you. It makes me sick when colleges allow something like that to happen- but sometimes it does.

Fair explaination. Perhaps not as glorious as I would like to believe it to be, but nevertheless Its still my dream to be a Marine. It might not be the best reasons but it is the truth. I'm not going to lie about my reasons to make myself look better. Heck I'm tired of people that enlist for the college aid, benefits ect, but when asked they all sugar coat it with "I want to serve my country".

I'm going to finish college anyways, Marine reserve vs. Army reserve...
I dont plan on being a reservist my whole enlistment. When I graduate college, I hope to go for OCS, or file a request to turn to active status. In fact my first ever few posts on leatherneck.com was about how to switch from reserve to active. Your probably going to laugh at this but "my recruiter said..." that its fairly easy to transfer from reserve to active. Again, I dont know how much water what my recruiter says...

HurricaneRJ
05-03-07, 12:03 PM
Well for one I can respect your words up there, who gives a **** what other people think, some might not like and some will.

I wanted to be an officer in the Marines for about 2 mintues. Then saw some kick-ass Marines in a firefight in Fallujah. (Operation Phantom Fury).

Thats when it clicked in for me. It's time to go, so I left DeVry University and lost alot of weight till this day.

I will say that by your reason its not a bad one at all. If you want to serve this country then you should serve it the way you want to.

Keep it up.

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 12:27 PM
Well for one I can respect your words up there, who gives a **** what other people think, some might not like and some will.

I wanted to be an officer in the Marines for about 2 mintues. Then saw some kick-ass Marines in a firefight in Fallujah. (Operation Phantom Fury).

Thats when it clicked in for me. It's time to go, so I left DeVry University and lost alot of weight till this day.

I will say that by your reason its not a bad one at all. If you want to serve this country then you should serve it the way you want to.

Keep it up.

lol youll change yoru mind when you do your first work detail and see how officers clean. and there is always mess duty in some places too

HurricaneRJ
05-03-07, 12:31 PM
Field Day and such, all that comes in the pacakge. Yeah I've come to prepare for that, cleaning up, guard duty and or doing something to make someone else look good.

Well, at least I'm not going in blind.

Marine84
05-03-07, 06:45 PM
mess duty

:scared: (shivering having a flashback)