PDA

View Full Version : Gulf War casualties’ families express support for Bush

thedrifter
03-03-03, 01:56 PM
March 03, 2003

Gulf War casualties’ families express support for Bush

Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Va. — Mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters paid tribute Sunday to loved ones killed in the first Persian Gulf War and said they supported President Bush’s efforts to again send Americans against Saddam Hussein.
“I’m behind our president 100 percent,” said Sally Minich of Hawthorn, Pa., at a ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery remembering the more than 400 men and women who died in the Gulf War.

Her 20-year-old son, Frank J. Walls, died in an Iraqi Scud missile attack.

Joyce Wilbourn of Huntsville, Ala., said armed service families generally are more supportive of a war in Iraq. She lost her son, Marine Capt. James “Trey” N. Wilbourn III, in February 1991.

“My son told me in a letter in 1991 ... ‘Mom, we either do it now or we do it later.’ So 12 years later we’re doing it,” said Wilbourn, who wore her son’s picture pinned to her coat.

William and Marsha Connor, came from Marcellus, N.Y., to honor their son, Lt. Patrick Kelly Connor.

The 25-year-old bombardier navigator was shot down near Falaka, an island just off the coast of Kuwait City. His body remained missing in action for nearly two months before it was recovered.

The Connors hesitated to say that they supported a war, but said they supported freedom. “Something will have to be done to insure freedom in that region,” William Connor said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/content/editorial/editart/030303gulfwar.jpg
.S. ambassador to Kuwait Ryan Crocker, left, and Kuwaiti Ambassador Salem Adullah Jaber Sabah, center, honor Gulf War victims during a memorial ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. — AP Photo