PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Date Changes

hawks
04-20-07, 12:40 PM
I am slated to ship on May 14th, thats the day in my contract. Which I think will be the Sunday/Monday deal. My question is how hard is it to switch my date just a couple of days. I think my friend said that the Marines ship Monday-Wednesday. How hard will it be for me to just move it so I ship Wednesday and get there on Thursday. I have a few things I want to wrap up before I go. This is also my hardest semester so far in college and I have 4 of my 5 finals on Thursday/Friday so I want some time to unwind. The reason I'm asking here instead of my recruiter first because if it is as hard as switching different weeks, I won't even bother. But I'd really like to ship just a few days in the same shipping week.

Marine84
04-20-07, 01:28 PM
DUCK!

INCOMING..............................

What? Are you kidding me? What if you were already in the Corps and you found out you had to ship to Iraq on Monday - what would you do? Call up the SgtMaj and ask him if you could ship out a few days later because you just want to "unwind" from exams or you have a few things you would like to wrap up? I don't think so.....................you better take the next 2 days and square yourself away and get on that bus/plane/train/big wheel come Monday morning.

SkilletsUSMC
04-20-07, 01:47 PM
I can imagine this phone call...

"hey there buddy... Yeah SSGT what ever... Hey listen, monday through wednesday wont cut it for me... yeah I have some things I need to handle... yeah, if you could schedual me in for bootcamp on friday that would be fabulous... OK great! Your people call my people and we'll do lunch"

Hawks... are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into?

killerinstinct
04-20-07, 01:48 PM
usually they have slots and everything i dont think it would be too hard...

BUT keep in mind the later you go to bootcamp you have to atch up with all the other recruits who arrived on monday. That means you are going to be rushed thru medical dental and then youll have to take your IST on that friday. The time to unwind is after you leave meps i recommend sleeping every moment possible if you're taking a plane then sleep on it and sleep at the USO as you'll be up all night and wont sleep till the next night...

Basically it is always wiser to leave on a monday if you need to unwind rub one off in the bathroom on your flight over

ssgtt32
04-20-07, 01:53 PM
Basically it is always wiser to leave on a monday if you need to unwind rub one off in the bathroom on your flight over

:D ROFLMAO, that was the best advice that i have seen on here in awhile!

hawks
04-20-07, 02:19 PM
I knew some Marines on here would give me crap about it. But, there are more then this to that. I do know what I'm getting myself into. If I were shipping out to Iraq it would be much different, a lot different. I have all my tests which means a lot of studying, not to much of keeping myself squared away. On top of that, I'd like to see my Dad and one of my brothers (who will both be out of town) from Sunday - Tuesday for some visit college visit for football and something else out of town. I have not seen them very much at all this last semester. I know it sounds like I'm *(@*$*&@$ about stuff, but I'm ready to go, just would like 2 extra days instead of waiting a whole another week.

SkilletsUSMC
04-20-07, 02:24 PM
I knew some Marines on here would give me crap about it. But, there are more then this to that. I do know what I'm getting myself into. If I were shipping out to Iraq it would be much different, a lot different. I have all my tests which means a lot of studying, not to much of keeping myself squared away. On top of that, I'd like to see my Dad and one of my brothers (who will both be out of town) from Sunday - Tuesday for some visit college visit for football and something else out of town. I have not seen them very much at all this last semester. I know it sounds like I'm *(@*$*&@$ about stuff, but I'm ready to go, just would like 2 extra days instead of waiting a whole another week.

As Marines it is both our perogative, and our duty to give you ****.:D You'll see how trivial this seems once youre on our side of the question. Just wait the week and do it right.

hawks
04-20-07, 02:42 PM
Yes Sir I do understand and I know its a pretty lame request, but I'd appreciate it that way a lot more. I'm going in on the 92 day reservist so I cannot really wait the extra week because school starts up again right away when I get back.

killerinstinct
04-20-07, 02:50 PM
sounds like theres sand attacking....... aplly 2-3 times and it should wash it out

http://home.wamego.net/jaeklund/images/Douche.jpg

Marine84
04-20-07, 02:58 PM
Killer, goddangit man - you guys are going to owe me allllllllllllllllll kinds of $hit if you don't quit making me spew all over monitors and keyboards!

And, Skillets - I think his Recruiter should just let hawks go when he wants to. You know, it's going to be hard for him to start those classes if he doesn't get back in time from bootcamp. What will he do if the schedules don't line up????????

Jeez!

Motorola07
04-20-07, 03:11 PM
LMAO!!! OMG THAT WAS A TRIP!!!... I Actualy need another keyboard..

davblay
04-20-07, 04:13 PM
Kim, you done it again! LMAO! :beer:

Marine84
04-20-07, 05:54 PM
;) glad to help

yellowwing
04-20-07, 05:55 PM
Hey Hawks, I got permission to take my finals early. Maybe get your recruiter to talk to the school. I was on the yellow foot prints while school was at Grad Celebrations. It was a good trade.

hawks
04-20-07, 07:45 PM
I don't think I can get my final exams switched, all of them are alloted at a different time and the University cares as much about my little "situation" (if i can even call it that) as the Marine Corp does.

USMC90
04-20-07, 07:52 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass hawks but instead of posting here maybe you should be spending more time doing whatever it is you need to do so you won't have to get an extra two days. Maybe instead of putting the Marine Corps on hold you can put those other things on hold.

Best of luck.

davblay
04-21-07, 01:15 AM
What do you want Hawks? Every time we give advise, seems like you have the answer! Sooooooo--------------what can we do for you? Do you not want to be in my Beloved Corps? Have you gotten cold feet? WTF? Talk to us man! :confused:

BrentAndrew
04-21-07, 05:15 AM
Maybe I missed something, but why can't you seem them now? Its not like your going active duty and leaving your home town for good. You'll be back at the end of the summer. Hope you don't mind my speculation, but if you have had your date set for a while why is this becoming a problem now? They knew when your ship date was when they scheduled their visit?

Kildars
04-21-07, 06:27 AM
Wait, winding down.. to go to bootcamp? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. ;)

BrentAndrew
04-21-07, 06:31 AM
Wait, winding down.. to go to bootcamp? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Yea, no kidding! 37 days and I'm already winding up!:banana::banana::banana:

Kildars
04-21-07, 06:34 AM
Yea, no kidding! 37 days and I'm already winding up!:banana::banana::banana:

"Drill Instructor: GET OF THE BUS!"
"Recruit: Sir, this recruit is wound down, this recruit requests permission to walk around till I wind back up."

BrentAndrew
04-21-07, 06:36 AM
"Drill Instructor: GET OF THE BUS!"
"Recruit: Sir, this recruit is wound down, this recruit requests permission to walk around till I wind back up."

Oh, I'm sure the Drill Instructor could assist in that!:evilgrin:

Marine84
04-21-07, 09:16 AM
Lol!

hawks
04-21-07, 11:45 AM
I'm not getting cold feet. I'm excited and anxious to go to Boot Camp. 2 or 3 days is not going to mean the end of the world I do not think. A Marine that is my age and that did the 92 day program told me to get there as late as possible in the week. He said use the time between school and going to boot camp to relax and enjoy my summer vacation (all 3 days of it).

yellowwing
04-21-07, 12:03 PM
"all 3 days of it" - LMAO

Believe me, think of it as good practice! If you graduate, once you get into the Fleet you will learn how to pack a ton of fun on a 72 hour liberty. :D

hawks
04-21-07, 12:18 PM
Oh believe me I will pack a hell of a lot of fun into this 72 hour vacation!

Marine84
04-21-07, 12:42 PM
"all 3 days of it" - LMAO

Believe me, think of it as good practice! If you graduate, once you get into the Fleet you will learn how to pack a ton of fun on a 72 hour liberty. :D

I can do it in 48 - gotta have that 24 to regroup. ;)

davblay
04-21-07, 12:53 PM
I can do it in 48 - gotta have that 24 to regroup. ;)

I'll betcha can, KIM! :beer: