View Full Version : Marine voluntarily extends duty

thedrifter
04-17-07, 06:32 AM
Marine voluntarily extends duty
By JOSEPH MALDONADO
For the Daily Record/Sunday News
York Daily Record/Sunday News

At bottom: · HIS TOURS IN IRAQ

It came as a shock when Jackie Sprout's son, Mark Andrew Kosicki II, said he wanted to join the Marines. It was only months after the initiation of Operation Iraqi Freedom and recruits would most certainly be called to fight overseas.

"He said he wanted to earn money to go to college," said Sprout of Manchester Township. "It was a financial means to an end."

But the 2003 graduate of York Catholic High School said it was much more than that.

"Education was a factor," Kosicki said. "I just wanted a little adventure in my life."

Since joining in 2003, Kosicki has served two tours of duty in Iraq. The Marine corporal, who is stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., was scheduled to leave the military in August, but volunteered to extend his commitment. He figured the military was going to extend him anyway.

If he does get sent back, he wants to return with the Third Unit of the 1st Battalion, which he has traveled with before.

"It does increase my chances of serving with people I am already familiar with," he said."

During his first two tours, Kosicki worked as a legal clerk. He seldom left the base.

He describes the Iraqis he has met as being friendly.

Kosicki's new job will be working as a sniper platoon.

Recently, the House approved a $124 billion spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan. It includes a binding troop withdrawal deadline of Sept. 1, 2008.

The Senate, too, passed a bill, which provides $122 billion. It calls for a non-binding troop removal date of March 31, 2008.

The president has threatened to veto any bill that sets a time- table for troop withdrawals.

Kosicki doesn't have an opinion on Washington's battles.

"I can't begin to say who is right because I cannot see the whole picture," he said.

His mother believes a pullout is a bad idea.

"If we cut and run, then what did 3,000 of our military people die for?" she asked.

HIS TOURS IN IRAQ

Since joining the Marines in 2003, Mark Andrew Kosicki II, a York Catholic grad, has served two tours of duty in Iraq. His first tour was in Fallujah from June of 2004 to March of 2005. His second tour, in Haditha, ran from September 2005 to June 2006.

Ellie