PDA

View Full Version : Passing of sword, duties is done with no regrets

thedrifter
04-14-07, 07:00 AM
April 14, 2007 - 12:00AM
Passing of sword, duties is done with no regrets

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
The passing of the sword is a sacred tradition among sergeants major.

http://www.jdnews.com/pictures/1176526505-marine.jpg

Sgt. Maj. Charles E. Tucker received a legion of merit at his retirement ceremony on Friday at Camp Lejeune.

And it was something Marine Corps Sgt. Maj. Charles Tucker did with no regrets Friday afternoon.

Tucker, who has been the sergeant major for Marine Corps Installations East since 2005, retired after 30 years of service in the Marine Corps. He passed the sword to Sgt. Maj. Ralph Drake, formerly of Training and Education Command in Virginia.

"It's truly been just a wonderful three years," Tucker said during the relief, appointment and retirement ceremony. "I couldn't have picked a better way to end it."

Tucker served as both the sergeant major of Camp Lejeune and MCI East when it activated Oct. 4, 2005. In January 2006, he relinquished his position with the base, fully taking on a duty that covers the activities and personnel of seven Marine Corps bases along the east coast.

Maj. Gen. Robert Dickerson, who took command of MCI East when it began, said Tucker made a difference from day one.

"He went up and down the coast to visit all of the barracks to see what living conditions were like for the single Marines and what changes he could make," Dickerson said.

Tucker was instrumental in starting the Batchelor Enlisted Quarters Campaign - a standardized policy for barracks management, something Dickerson said was very important for young single Marines.

"As you transfer out, every Marine on the East Coast should be thankful to you," Dickerson said.

Tucker called his 30 years in the Marine Corps a "whirlwind." The California native spent time as a drill instructor, with numerous aviation squadrons aboard the New River Air Station and as the sergeant major of Marine Air Group 29. Tucker served on a number of deployments, most recently to Iraq.

"You hear people say it's bittersweet," he said. "There's no bitter to it - it's all sweet."

Tucker's wife, three children, parents and three sisters all attended Friday's ceremony - the first time the whole family had been together in 17 years.

"So this is a special occasion," he said. "The thing I'm proud of the most in my 30 years isn't my accomplishments in the Marine Corps. It's my wife and three children."

He added that he wouldn't have changed anything about his career.

"I'm just happy I could do it for 30 years," he said. "We don't all have that luxury. I go out of here with my head held high."

As the newest member of MCI East, Drake said he is most excited about serving the Marines and sailors on the East Coast and being back in the Jacksonville community. He added that he is impressed with the service of the troops.

"I can't think of any time in history when we've had a prolonged conflict where all of the service members are volunteers," he said.

Dickerson said he is looking forward to the leadership Drake will provide.

"You always need somebody to look out for the best interest of the Marines, and it's an absolutely crucial billet," he said. "(Tucker) did an outstanding job. And with (Drake), we're not going to miss a beat."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie