PDA

View Full Version : USMC JROTC cadet creed

wrbones
02-25-03, 01:30 AM
Cadet Creed
I am a Marine cadet.
I will be true to myself and to others.
I will not lie, cheat, or steal.
I will serve my school, community, and nation.
I will wear my uniform with pride.
I will do my personal best at all times.
I will honor those who have gone before me --
The few, the proud, the finest.

LTCOL J. D. HARRILL, JR. USMC (RET)
J. O. JOHNSON HIGH SCHOOL
SENIOR MARINE INSTRUCTOR
MCJROTC

Traits and Principles
PRINCIPLES OF LEADERSHIP
1. Be technically and tactically proficient.
2. Know yourself and seek self-improvement.
3. Know your men and look out for their welfare.
4. Keep your men informed.
5. Set the example.
6. Insure that the task is understood, supervised, and accomplished.
7. Train your men as a team.
8. Make sound and timely decisions.
9. Develope a sense of responsibility among subordinates
10. Employ your command an accordance with its capabilities.
11. Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.

TRAITS OF LEADERSHIP Definition
1. INTEGRITY Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principle, absolute truthfullness and honesty.
2. KNOWLEDGE Acquired information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your men.
3. COURAGE A mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.
4. DECISIVENESS Ability to reach decisions promptly and to announce them in a clean, forcefull manner.
5. DEPENDABILITY The certainty of the proper performance of duty.
6. INITIATIVE Seeing what has to be done and commencing a course of action, even in the absence of orders.
7. TACT The ability to deal with others without creating offense.
8. JUSTICE The quality of being impartial and consistent in exercising command.
9. ENTHUSIASM The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.
10. BEARING Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance, and personal conduct at all times.
11. ENDURANCE The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to stand pain, fatigue, distress and hardship.
12. UNSELFISHNESS Avoidance of providing for ones comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.
13. LOYALTY Faithfulness to country, Corps, and unit, and to your seniors and subordinates.
14. JUDGEMENT The quality of weighing facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

OK, Alex. What did I miss?

Proper answer: Not a damn thing.

Review yer own creed and the principles you're being trained in.

Sixguns
02-25-03, 06:34 AM
Bones,

Apparently, our young cadet has too much time to pursue other endeavors and not enough brain cells to devote to expanding himself personally and professionally. We can only try to advise and assist. It's like leading the horse to water... can't make it drink.

SF

wrbones
02-25-03, 06:57 AM
Well, ya got a point. I hate to quit on 'em, though.

firstsgtmike
02-25-03, 02:44 PM
I beg to differ.

You CAN lead a horse to water.

If he's thirsty, you CAN make him drink it. (Try and stop him.)

But no matter how much he loves the water, you CANNOT make him lie on his back and float in it.

thedrifter
02-25-03, 04:38 PM
Great Post Bones......Now only if He would read it and follow the creed........But He knows it all and knows better than us.........We don't usually give up on these Pool-ees but I do believe we have done all that we can...........It will be cold day in Hell when he listens to our advice........LMAO

Sempers,

Roger

Sixguns
02-25-03, 05:12 PM
It seems that horse is not thirsty. Maybe a few more hours in the hot sun will change things. So I guess we can all sit here and wait for the horse to see the benefits of getting water when it can, instead of resisting our attempts to look after its health and well-being.

SF,

DevilPup2004
02-25-03, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm not sure who this thread was in reference to, but I know that I for one have paid attention to it.

I'm not a movie freak, but whenever I see a movie I try to learn something from it. The movie "Spiderman" had a great quote in it: "With great power comes great responsibility." As I learn more and more about leadership, I will definitely be using those lists. I will use them to rate myself and see how far I have come as a leader, as well as see where I need some work. I know I can't start out displaying all of them, but I intend to work towards that.

Anyway, thank you very much for posting this, Sergeant.

wrbones
02-25-03, 11:59 PM
Hey Devilpup2004, do a search on the site search engine, 'leadership principles'.

Did I ever tell you kids that in "Sgt Pap's Place" there might be some stuff yer interested in? :D

I do so, play fair!:banana:

I said everything ya need to know is posted on the site, and I always recommend that the POOL-ees and wannabes START in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums!

Oh, yeah. Wait til ya see how a Drill Instructor's gonna mess with yer head! :banana:

Red Dragon
02-26-03, 12:29 PM
It seems from reading the posts here that a lot of these Pool-ees are in for awake up call. LMAO I bet most of them think that Boot Camp is like they saw in the movie: "Full Metal Jacket". Wrong, that was only the tip of the iceberg. Most of the Marines in here have given good sound advise, now only if they would listen.

Red Dragon aka HL

artemis2003
02-27-03, 04:43 PM
Not too long after i posted my "legal" advice, I got a nasty little pm from the cadet. Apparently, since there were no witnesses, it didn't matter and that the 7 year statue didn't apply.

That cadet really needs an attitude check. He should know better not to disrespect Marines, especially on their forums.

Someday, when I have proudly earned the title "Officer of Marines" and I've got those butter bars on my shoulders I'm gonna stop and ask him if he has learned how to respect the Marines that have gone before him and how to take constructional critisisim. And if he answers no to either of those questions...im gonna quarterdeck him on the spot!

-Artemis :evilgrin: