PDA

View Full Version : Marine Trivia:

stephanieh
04-05-07, 01:25 AM
I couldn't find this anywhere, but does any Marine know?

Who wrote The Marines Hymn and What is its name?<!-- / message -->

coplepk04
04-05-07, 01:43 AM
I'm fairly certain its name is "The Marine Corps Hymn."

rvillac2
04-05-07, 02:18 AM
Its the "Marines' Hymn"

I wrote it. I was born on November 10, 1775.
Semper Fi.

Ooohrah.

Kildars
04-05-07, 02:28 AM
The author is unknown.

Hobson
04-05-07, 02:34 AM
Its the "Marines' Hymn"

I wrote it. I was born on November 10, 1775.
Semper Fi.

Ooohrah.

We all wrote it Sgt, Ooorah.

Marine84
04-05-07, 07:49 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys are NUTS!

semperfi170
04-05-07, 09:22 AM
1) It is properly called: The Marines' Hymn, we are the only branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that have a hymn.

2) If you watch almost any show on tv or in the audience, you will notice that the other branches active and/or out, will stand, clap, ditty-bop, wave flags, whistle, cheer, etc. when their song is played.
You can always pick out the Marines in or out of uniform, they stand at attention!:flag: when our Hymn is played.

3) The exact tune or melody has never directly been attributed to one composer, it is said that is similar to a melody written by Offenbach.

4) We have all contributed to the words and those coming on board will do the same. I believe the last official change was when the words "In the air"
were added.:iwo:

davblay
04-05-07, 12:29 PM
The U.S. Marine Corps is the United States' military band of brothers dedicated to warfighting. The proud Brotherhood of Marines is guided by principles, values, virtues, love of country, and its Warrior Culture. This brotherhood of American Patriots has no song. Instead, Marine Warriors have a hymn. When The Marines' Hymn is played, United States Marines stand at attention. They silently show their pride in their fellow Marines, their Corps, their Country, their heritage, and their hymn. The Marines' Hymn is a tribute to Warriors. Marine Warriors stormed fortress Derna, raised the American flag, and gave us "the shores of Tripoli." Marines fought their way into the castle at Chapultepec and gave us the "halls of Montezuma." Marines exist for the purpose of warfighting. Fighting is their role in life. They "fight for right and freedom" and "to keep our honor clean." They fight "in the air, on land, and sea." The Marine Corps is Valhalla for Warriors. U.S. Marines need no song. They have a hymn.
Ironically, no one knows who wrote the hymn, which was in widespread use by the mid-1800s. Col. A.S. McLemore, USMC, spent several years trying to identify the origin of the tune. In 1878 he told the leader of the Marine Band that the tune had been adopted from the comic opera Genevieve de Barbant, by Jaques Offenback. Yet, others believe the tune originated from a Spanish folk song. Whatever! Regardless of its origin, The Marines' Hymn has remained a revered icon of the United States Marine Corps for almost 200 years.
In 1929 The Marines' Hymn became the official hymn of the Corps. Thirteen years later in November 1942 the Commandant approved a change in the words of the first verse, fourth line. Because of the increasing use of aircraft in the Corps, the words were changed to "In the air, on land, and sea." No other changes have been made since that time. When you have attained absolute perfection, there is no need for further modification:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Does that answer your questions?

To all you Marines; Ooo-Rah

davblay
04-05-07, 12:33 PM
I'm fairly certain its name is "The Marine Corps Hymn."

--------------------------------------------

It's "THE MARINES HYMN"!

Remember this poolee, we all wrote it! Ooo-Rah ;)

SamJohnston
04-05-07, 05:49 PM
I always thought John Phillip Souza wrote the Marine's Hymn, guess not.

Master Sephiroth
04-07-07, 06:12 PM
next question: Translate "Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas"

GySgtRet
04-07-07, 08:38 PM
Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever. United States Marines ...

Pooles don't ever forget it.

rb1651
04-08-07, 01:08 PM
Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever. United States Marines ...

Pooles don't ever forget it.

That's my screensaver at work. Had quite a few people asking me what it meant. People that I work with that were in other branches of the military understand why I have it, but most of the civilians just shake their head and say something along the lines of "get over it, you're not in the Corps anymore." They'll never understand. :flag:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-10-07, 11:16 AM
next question: Translate "Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas"
i carved this into the head at medical at San Diego. Moto Sh*t during a Moto Sit!

ElDiablo
04-10-07, 12:48 PM
Wasn't there a thread like this awhile back? Any way, seeing as no one is replying:

Who was Dan Daly, and what did he do to receive 2 Medals of Honor?