View Full Version : Big welcome home for Colorado Marines

thedrifter
04-04-07, 08:58 AM
Big welcome home for Colorado Marines
written by: Jeffrey Wolf , Web Producer
reported by: Jamie Kim , Producer/Reporter
updated by: Chris Vanderveen , 9NEWS Reporter
Last updated: 4/3/2007 9:36:23 PM

AURORA – It was an emotional reunion for the families of 65 Marines who landed at Buckley Air Force Base just after noon on Tuesday.

Donna Palmer-Scott and her two children were among the huge crowd waiting for their husbands and fathers to return. Her family screamed with joy and rushed out to hug her husband, Patrick, when he walked into the hangar.

However, after a quick hug, he had to keep going. Protocol says each Marine has to check out before meeting with their families.

"It was too quick, I want him back," said Donna.

The Marines have been away from their families for nearly a year. They spent the last seven months in Iraq building offices and schools and assisting with other civil operations. Before that, they had to go to three months of training.

"I think as a Marine you never feel like you've always done your part," said Jessiy Carrington, as she waited for her husband Ric to get off the plane.

"He's just very patriotic and honorable. He just wanted to help his brothers."

As for the last seven months, she says it was difficult.

"It was pretty rough, harder than we thought (it would be). Thank goodness I had a lot of friends and family to help me through it," said Carrington.

Jake Garcia actually met his one-month old daughter for the first time on Tuesday. He cradled Jacquline Garcia in his arms as soon as he could and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

The Marines who came home Tuesday were all from Colorado and are based at Buckley.

Ellie