PDA

View Full Version : Pull Ups

zackmerc
03-16-07, 08:28 PM
Hello,

Any of you Marines who have recently graudated from boot camp in San Diego, can you tell me hwo they judge a pull up?

When I do pull ups, my legs are bent to the back but as I go up, it comes forward. It does not pass the waist but it does move.

Do you have to be absolutely rigid with no assistance from your legs, kipping, or kicking?

How much do they enforce their rules about pull-ups?

Thank you.

jinelson
03-16-07, 11:09 PM
Zack rigid with no resistance or kipping is the rule. They rules are enforced equally for all by non comisioned officers and staff non comissioned officers. Work at it like your life depends on it my Corps does it, its way not yours!

OORAH!!!

Jim

zackmerc
03-17-07, 10:41 AM
thank you

I have been working on it and of course, I will follow the rules of the Marine Corps not my own.

Marinewannabe15
03-17-07, 11:41 AM
whats kipping?

millar123
03-17-07, 10:58 PM
whats kipping?

kipping is when you are doing a pull up and try to use your legs for more momentum to get more.

millar123
03-17-07, 10:59 PM
Hello,

Any of you Marines who have recently graudated from boot camp in San Diego, can you tell me hwo they judge a pull up?

When I do pull ups, my legs are bent to the back but as I go up, it comes forward. It does not pass the waist but it does move.

Do you have to be absolutely rigid with no assistance from your legs, kipping, or kicking?

How much do they enforce their rules about pull-ups?

Thank you.

Yes, I am a west coast Marine and they really enforce it. If they are not exactly perfect then they will not count them.

10thzodiac
04-06-07, 09:34 AM
The buddy that I wound up with, they wouldn't let out of boot-camp because he couldn't even do one pull-up. They sent him to STU (special training unit) with the fat boys, he was not fat.

He said the DI's there were merciless sadistic narcissists. One fat boy was only allowed to eat carrots.

My buddy in a way was a Gomer, in fact once I was detailed to chase him to the brig. Long story...

marinegreen
04-08-07, 04:34 PM
We had a guy in boot who said his dad was a Gunny in the Corps and he ran with him all the time. Well you could tell by his girth he didnt run and come to find out when we did our 1st "O" course playtime he couldnt get up for 1 friggen pull-up,the XO came up to him and says: Pvt if you dont give me 1 fuqing pull-up your going to jail to which the kid tried and SH** his self he was so scared, needless to say he was gone from our plt by the next day. I'm assuming he went to the fat-boy farm, not really sure.........
MG

RSSLHNYGUIDE329
04-13-07, 10:01 PM
The buddy that I wound up with, they wouldn't let out of boot-camp because he couldn't even do one pull-up. They sent him to STU (special training unit) with the fat boys, he was not fat.

He said the DI's there were merciless sadistic narcissists. One fat boy was only allowed to eat carrots.

My buddy in a way was a Gomer, in fact once I was detailed to chase him to the brig. Long story...

I dont mean to step on your feet caus eI'm only a poolee..but im pretty sure its "Fat Body" not boy and its "PCP" Physical Conditioning Platoon"..Maybe its different for MCRD SD but I know thats what it is on the island

davblay
04-13-07, 10:16 PM
I dont mean to step on your feet caus eI'm only a poolee..but im pretty sure its "Fat Body" not boy and its "PCP" Physical Conditioning Platoon"..Maybe its different for MCRD SD but I know thats what it is on the island
MG, it sounds like this Poolee knows more then us OLD TIMERS! You are correct it is FAT BOY! Don't you love it when a Poolee CORRECTS us Marines?
Makes you want to go back on Active Duty for Drill Instructor Duty doesn't it?

RSSLHNYGUIDE329
04-13-07, 10:20 PM
yeah i immediately punched myself in the head right after i posted that..sorry for being a dick...I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way haha

davblay
04-13-07, 10:24 PM
yeah i immediately punched myself in the head right after i posted that..sorry for being a dick...I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way haha

YEP!!!!! But the NCO's and SNCO's will love you if you don't!!!! Ooo-Rah! :evilgrin:

DevilDogHEMech
04-16-07, 04:12 AM
Davblay is absolutely right, poolee, once you make it to the fleet (hell, even before then) your NCO's will EAT YOU ALIVE if you act like you know more than they do and try to correct them, especially if in front of other junior Marines. Your best bet is to shut your mouth, pay attention, and learn from those who have been around longer until you really DO know your stuff.

DevilDogHEMech
04-16-07, 04:12 AM
Davblay is absolutely right, poolee, once you make it to the fleet (hell, even before then) your NCO's will EAT YOU ALIVE if you act like you know more than they do and try to correct them, especially if in front of other junior Marines. Your best bet is to shut your mouth, pay attention, and learn from those who have been around longer until you really DO know your stuff.

davblay
04-16-07, 08:26 AM
Hey devildog, you a 1341?

DevilDogHEMech
04-17-07, 12:38 AM
Darn right I'm a 1341! I'm in a 4th echelon General Support Maintenance Company in Okinawa right now, a few days away from PCSing to 1st Mar Div, 1st Combat Engineer Battalion Camp Pendleton.

davblay
04-17-07, 12:43 AM
Darn right I'm a 1341! I'm in a 4th echelon General Support Maintenance Company in Okinawa right now, a few days away from PCSing to 1st Mar Div, 1st Combat Engineer Battalion Camp Pendleton.

When I went thru, I was at CLNC at Court house Bay for training! Yeah I am a 1341 myslef!

10thzodiac
05-05-07, 09:01 PM

QUOTES FULL METAL JACKET 1987

Private Cowboy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397124/): Remember, this was all just a bad dream, fat boy!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/): One for the Commandant! One for the Corps! Come on Joker pull! Pull! I guess the Corps don't get theirs! Get up there fat boy!

"STU" in the Old Corps was Special Training Unit, not Physical Conditioning Platoon.

Remember in the Corps, you can sh!t a sh!t bird, but you can't snow the snowman :D

Nez46
02-21-08, 03:57 PM
QUOTES FULL METAL JACKET 1987

Private Cowboy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397124/): Remember, this was all just a bad dream, fat boy!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000388/): One for the Commandant! One for the Corps! Come on Joker pull! Pull! I guess the Corps don't get theirs! Get up there fat boy!

"STU" in the Old Corps was Special Training Unit, not Physical Conditioning Platoon.

Remember in the Corps, you can sh!t a sh!t bird, but you can't snow the snowman :D

I rented that movie the other day and watched it. It sucked i mean that kid had issues but he didnt have to shoot the Gunny. But its all good.:beer:

LiamY
03-30-08, 07:06 PM
I had a question about this, Marines. Can we cross our ankles as we do the pull ups? Or is it STICTLY rigid, feet side by side?

jaythestar
03-31-08, 01:10 AM
heres how it goes...

mount the bar. when you are told to begin, do so.
come down to a complete dead hang then back up.
As long as your knees don't come above your waist and you dont kip you will be fine. come to a complete dead hang on ur last pull up do not just let go of the bar or the last one will not count

@ HE MECH 1341...1st CEB is a fine unit. Extremely hardcore but a great unit for engineers. Im an 1141 by the way

LiamY
03-31-08, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification, sir.