PDA

View Full Version : Honor Grad?

RJOHNSON
03-13-07, 08:09 PM
I ship out to bootcamp on Parris Island May 21st. I was wondering what does it take to become the honor grad because I'm really motivated and I always like to do things to the best of my ability. Can someone tell me the expectations of a recruit to become honor grad?

Marine84
03-13-07, 08:34 PM
you HAVE to be the MOST outstanding Marine in the bunch but it will take you a while to get to that point. Keep your goal in sight, don't give up, keep your mouth shut, your ears open and eyeballs clicked.

A hint............(and I thought this was THE dumbest thing I had EVER had happen cause it didn't seem THAT important in the big scheme of things). When having a uniform inspection (and I'm pretty sure they still have these) - make sure you clip loose strings - now some of these strings will be sooooooo small your naked eye can't see them yet. A Drill Instructor will AND will pull it............sometimes causing a hem to fall out or a button to fall off - which means you fail inspection and you have to do it allllllll over again on Saturday morning or something.

I never understood why on God's green earth loose strings were THAT important but, they were trying to teach me to pay attention to detail. Not only in the way I dressed but in everything else I did because IF I didn't, I could get myself , or worse, somebody else killed.

jinelson
03-13-07, 09:17 PM
Loose strings? We were instructed that they are called Irish Pennants but Kim you are so right they will get you in the pit in a heart beat. Poolee dont worry about getting honor man just concentrate on earning the title thats a big accomplishment in itself. If you get made guide thats just iceing on the greatest achievement in your life. Stay moto and learn the knowlege here before you ship.

Jim

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-13-07, 09:56 PM
Score high on the PFT, shoot well on the range, show leadership abilities, and don't screw up when you can help it. If you can do all of those things, you stand a chance at getting looked at for the honor grad.

YLDNDN6
03-14-07, 06:03 AM
Don't for one second let your guard down. There is no time when your Drill Instructors do not know what is going on in their squadbay. Maintain bearing and tact at all times, and NEVER get caught laughing...just a little bit of personal experience of mine.

RJOHNSON
03-14-07, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll keep it all in mind.

rvillac2
03-14-07, 01:00 PM
Score high on the PFT, shoot well on the range, show leadership abilities, and don't screw up when you can help it. If you can do all of those things, you stand a chance at getting looked at for the honor grad.

Let your stats speak for you. Ace your tests, score high on everything, and listen up. You have two shots at the honor grad. Platoon and Series. Be better than everyone in your platoon and you'll be in one of these slots.

Good luck,
Sgt V

Marine84
03-14-07, 01:10 PM
Loose strings? We were instructed that they are called Irish Pennants

I was trying to think of that term but couldn't remember while I was typing it - I do remember getting a few pulled off before I caught on.

killerinstinct
03-14-07, 01:13 PM
I was trying to think of that term but couldn't remember while I was typing it - I do remember getting a few pulled off before I caught on.

what Kim you slacking???? got too use to the coveralls did ya??

Marine84
03-14-07, 06:13 PM
Hell yeah! And them boots? I used to tell them all the time it was my 2nd pair of shoes and that I got my first pair to wear to the Island.

And I had a good time at the cement pond too!