PDA

View Full Version : ??

TheBiggness
03-13-07, 11:24 AM
I have been running on monday, wednsday and friday. And walking long distances on tuesday and thursday. Is walking on the days you don't run a good idea or will it slow the progress made running?

SamJohnston
03-13-07, 01:37 PM
I would assume that walking long distance between running days would be more benificial than not getting any excercise at all.

MotivatorJames
03-13-07, 02:18 PM
Walking between your running days can actually be more beneficial than some think. Especially on the day after a run when your legs may be very sore and aching, a good long walk will help to relieve some of that soreness that you may have in your muscles and joints. After your long walk make sure to stretch out your leg muscles really well so that you can maintain and improve your current flexibility, which will reduce your chance of pulling/straining, tearing muscles.

poolee2008
03-13-07, 02:31 PM
Walking between your running days can actually be more beneficial than some think. Especially on the day after a run when your legs may be very sore and aching, a good long walk will help to relieve some of that soreness that you may have in your muscles and joints. After your long walk make sure to stretch out your leg muscles really well so that you can maintain and improve your current flexibility, which will reduce your chance of pulling/straining, tearing muscles.

Very true, no matter what at least walk or something and like MotivatorJames said make sure you STRETCH! that gets rid of the acid build up in your muscles that causes soreness.

RuffNight2007
03-13-07, 09:30 PM
I have been running on monday, wednsday and friday. And walking long distances on tuesday and thursday. Is walking on the days you don't run a good idea or will it slow the progress made running?
A good workout would be:

Monday:
1/4 jog
stretch for 10 minutes
3 mile timed run
stretch for 10 minutes
1/4 jog

Tuesday:
1/4 jog
stretch for 10 minutes
3 mile comfortable pace
stretch for 10 minutes
1/4 jog

Wednesday:
Swim: Sidestroke - 2x500 yds (10 minute rest in between)

*Swimming might seem like a lot, but if you master the sidestroke you can seriously swim for miles!

Thursday:
Swim: Sidestroke - 800 yds

Friday:
1/4 jog
stretch for 10 minutes
Death run (5-10 miles) - or until you puke
stretch for 10 minutes

Do this for 2 weeks... on third week... make sure you give you legs a break because shin splints and stress fractures are most common in the 3rd week of a running program (If you are a begginner). Substitute the running by swimming.. or one of those elipticle things! :thumbup:

I've been doing this for some time now and I'm all set on the running part of the PFT ;]