PDA

View Full Version : Intro to DI's

Marinewannabe15
03-12-07, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone. I just got back from a Poolee function. They had a DI there. I thought, ok, cool I can talk to a DI and ask him questions about training. NO WAY! They had us stand in formation and he ripped us a new one. Actually, it was kinda cool. It makes me want to go. I was the only poolee who knew what he was doing. Obviously recruit training will be much different but I got a little taste and I'm even more excited to earn the title! (3 months and 13 days left)

Marine84
03-13-07, 07:39 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! And I know he had fun with ya'll.

PatriotGirl422
03-13-07, 12:51 PM
We had a Drill Instructor come to one of our pool functions one time. He was awesome...had that crazy voice and all. He messed with us a lot, but ended up answering questions too. He was so mean though, I loved it!

Marine84
03-13-07, 01:04 PM
We had a Drill Instructor come to one of our pool functions one time. He was awesome...had that crazy voice and all. He messed with us a lot, but ended up answering questions too. He was so mean though, I loved it!

HAHAHA! Wait til you meet some of the female DIs - the males (that I noticed) would get "ill" at you but would be easy with the yelling cause they don't want to make you cry. The women flat out don't care - that's what they're TRYING to do.

velocity500
03-13-07, 03:10 PM
Haha, nice. April 6th and 7th we poolees here in the RSS Saint Ann in Missouri are going to a "Mini-Bootcamp". Friday we do moto runs and drills and take some classes to learn more about the Marine Corps history and the like, and then we sleep in actual field tents (cannot recall proper terminology). However, Saturday we get woken up by Marine Drill Instructors, Male -and- Female, and they give us a shelacking.

I can't wait!

HLeyb
03-13-07, 03:15 PM
Man, they really prep you guys.

We did formation runs/march and played speedball...and we only meet 1/2 times a month!

I guess that's why some recruits excel at boot, sounds like a great time! have fun.

YLDNDN6
03-13-07, 03:59 PM
HLeyb,
The preparations undertaken prior to boot camp can only do so much for you poolees. I have yet to see or hear of any experience that can fully prepare you for boot camp. Regardless of what type of "training" or "field days" you guys have before you leave, boot camp will still be the single greatest shock to your systems that you will have ever experienced to date. Don't feel cheated if your recruiters can't/don't do all sorts of neato things with you guys. Just cling to the information that you are getting, study every bit of knowledge you can get your hands on, and plant firmly in your mind the notion that you WANT this. Everything else is fluff. Good luck to all of you.

Bullrider
03-13-07, 06:00 PM
Haha, nice. April 6th and 7th we poolees here in the RSS Saint Ann in Missouri are going to a "Mini-Bootcamp". Friday we do moto runs and drills and take some classes to learn more about the Marine Corps history and the like, and then we sleep in actual field tents (cannot recall proper terminology). However, Saturday we get woken up by Marine Drill Instructors, Male -and- Female, and they give us a shelacking.

I can't wait!

I believe they are called shelter halves( the field tents)

Soon2BeVIP
03-13-07, 07:11 PM

I can't wait!
Mini-Bootcamp is by far the cooooolest thing you will do while in the DEP. I went to one weekend in September and then when we left that we did a Boston Marine Corps Honor Run 5k. Too much to say in a post, but from having 4 different drill instructors call my friend fat right to her face to the team building exercises to camoflauge classes to checking out the guns...it was amazing. Then we got to meet a man who has won a medal of honor...really cool. Have fun...when you get home write down everything you can remember because in a few months you'll forget some stuff and will laugh at the reminders.

JIPeterson
03-13-07, 08:23 PM
Mini-Bootcamp is by far the cooooolest thing you will do while in the DEP. I went to one weekend in September and then when we left that we did a Boston Marine Corps Honor Run 5k. Too much to say in a post, but from having 4 different drill instructors call my friend fat right to her face to the team building exercises to camoflauge classes to checking out the guns...it was amazing. Then we got to meet a man who has won a medal of honor...really cool. Have fun...when you get home write down everything you can remember because in a few months you'll forget some stuff and will laugh at the reminders.

I couldn't agree more. The previous pool functions I have been to were great and all but this really got me hooked into it. Last sunday we all got the froggy voiced DI's from San Diego and for about an hour, we got smoked, but we also learned faster then any of us had ever before. Nothing like have a :evilgrin: in your ear and face to get someone to respond faster than they ever have. I wish ever monthes pool function was that way.

Allen870922
03-14-07, 12:59 AM
HAHAHA! Wait til you meet some of the female DIs - the males (that I noticed) would get "ill" at you but would be easy with the yelling cause they don't want to make you cry. The women flat out don't care - that's what they're TRYING to do.

I'll tell you the truth, I was more scared of the Female DIs than I was of my male DIs. I don't know why either.