PDA

View Full Version : Physical Conditioning Plattoon

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 01:07 PM
I was wondering....im basically leaving to MCRD as soon as possible due to family problems....(ps i like how marines are understanding and try to help in every way).....i was wondering what is someone couldnt pass the run in IST at MCRD which sends you off to PCP(physical conditioning plattoon). Does PCP ruin your reputation as a future marine? and is it true the first 2 weeks are the worst in boot camp? if not what do you think is.

my qualifications as of right now:

my run = 13:50
pullups= 9
sit ups in 2 mins = 80

:gotee:

ktriplett
02-18-03, 01:32 PM
What are you worrying about the IST for? If those are your real stats, you've got it down. And if you're worried about the run, but you're leaving soon, just run constantly. You'll only get better if you work on it.
About boot camp: read the posts in this forum and the mentor forum. you'll find all the info you need.

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 01:39 PM
yea im worried about the run....just becuase i have injured my knee before...and i have never been good long distance running....mainly becuase of my breathing...i try to keep a rhythm, but right when i get about 30 yards to the finish like....its like i have a system over load and start vomitting everywhere.....i know i can overcome this and i know ill make it threw boot camp....cuase nothing in the world can make me quit.....i just dont wanna go to PCP if it will ruin my rep. as a future marine......

Shaffer
02-18-03, 02:33 PM
A Marines reputation is not made or damaged while at boot camp. Many Marines go to PCP and then go on to a fine career in the Marine Corps. However keep in mind that if you goto PCP, it extends your vacation time at boot camp. In addition you will be placed with a new platoon. It is hard enough fitting in with the first platoon you are with much less having to fit in with a new group all over again. We had pick ups from PCP and they were not greeted with open arms. Some of them ended up fitting in and others were recycled once again. My advice is not to worry about your reputation and concentrate on how you can increase your cardiovascular endurance while allowing your knee to heal. Biking and swimming are good forms of cardio that are much easier on the knees.

Good luck.

Jerry

wrbones
02-18-03, 02:47 PM
I answered his original question in several PM's. Seems the little **** didn't believe me. I wonder if he'll listen next time seeing that he's heard basically the same thing from others that I told him privately when he asked me.

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 02:49 PM
Thanks Shaffer

Yea my recruitor told me not to worry about it too much....just keep running and riding my bike...and add some jump ropes into my workout.....he said improving 30 seconds on my IST run shouldnt be a problem when i have a DI yelling in my face....So i should be able to make it.....i just hope nothing starts to develope in my knee again cuase its starting to pop every time i bend it like it was before i injured it the first time....but if you have anything else to say/give anymore advice....i need all the help i can get....and once again thanks!

Brian

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 02:52 PM
lol....wrbones....i beleive you....i just needed some more advice.....i asked about pcp...not running and my knee.....but im not going to talk back to a marine when im just a maggot....thanks a lot for your help too.....thanks

Phoenix Rogue
02-18-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Shaffer
A Marines reputation is not made or damaged while at boot camp. Many Marines go to PCP and then go on to a fine career in the Marine Corps. However keep in mind that if you goto PCP, it extends your vacation time at boot camp. In addition you will be placed with a new platoon. It is hard enough fitting in with the first platoon you are with much less having to fit in with a new group all over again. We had pick ups from PCP and they were not greeted with open arms. Some of them ended up fitting in and others were recycled once again. My advice is not to worry about your reputation and concentrate on how you can increase your cardiovascular endurance while allowing your knee to heal. Biking and swimming are good forms of cardio that are much easier on the knees.

Good luck.

Jerry

As far as fitting in is not as much a problem to me as worring about being called/ being accepted into Force Recon, being that it's such a select group. Do I have to worry?

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 02:59 PM
i really never thought fitting in would be a problem.....cuase i figured in boot camp or wherever.....every1 is trying to do the same thing your trying to do.....and i thought thats where teamwork would come in.....

ktriplett
02-18-03, 03:03 PM
Just work! Stop worrying so much and work! You have to make it through boot camp before anything, so that should be your first priority. Put Force Recon to the side for now. Get yourself ready for boot camp. Don't worry about your "reputation". Earn the title, then you can deal with your reputation. The second a Drill Instructor is in your face screaming, you'll be forgetting your reputation because if that's what matters to you, you'll be ****ing your pants in fear by the first day.
Good luck.

wrbones
02-18-03, 03:09 PM
Soon to B, you better start listening the first time or yer gonna be in a world of hurt when ya hit boot.

Go back and read those PM's and my responses, one friggin' word at a time.

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 03:28 PM
dude calm down...i have been listening and reading your responses...i was just responding to what phoenix wrote about fitting in.....

wrbones
02-18-03, 03:33 PM
ktriplett, 22devilpup87...he's all yers kids! :D

ktriplett
02-18-03, 03:57 PM
Ok man, check it out: this is a whole new world. This isn't your normal, "Give it to me quick" kind of life. These Marines are professionals and as professionals do not have the patience to have to explain things over and over. I'll give you a piece of advice: have some respect. This world doesn't tolerate disrespect or ignorance. I'm not a Marine yet, but i've worked my ass off trying to find the answers, the information, and the facts that I need to be the best recruit, and later on Marine, that I can possibly be. If I thought I could take the easy way out, I'd have asked but I understand that its going to take work for me to be one of the few, and I don't want to belittle myself, the Marines or this site by not doing the research for myself. I don't say this to sound vain or better than anyone else, but to make it clear that the information is here if you are willing to do the work to look for it. Now, if you do the research and you still have questions, that's when you ask, but do yourself a favor: ask once. Time and again guys come and ask the same question on twenty different posts and it understandably ****es some people off. Your decision to join the Marine Corps is an adult decision and carries with it adult responsibilities. You might as well start acting like an adult.

wrbones
02-18-03, 04:00 PM
I love yer 'tone of voice' ktriplett! LOL

"Oh, man! Here we go again." :D

ktriplett
02-18-03, 04:10 PM
It's an epidemic. These people all have the same lazy gene.

wrbones
02-18-03, 04:12 PM
Now. Imagine bein' a DI and havin' to ride herd on a bunch like that! LOL. Ain't no wonder they yell alla time! LMAO.

They think I'm bein' mean! Hell, they ain't seen nothin' yet!

ktriplett
02-18-03, 05:40 PM
LOL! And here I kept thinking that it was the recruits whose lives were stressful!

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 06:12 PM
who are yall talking to? i dont wanna **** any marine or non-marine off......and if yall are talking to me....i have done my share of learning all i need to know before i leave march 3rd set now......i enlisted 3 weeks ago and im so exited and stoke out i got it bumped up from Sept 8, 2003 to March 3rd, 2003.....and i didnt get that by using words.....actions speak louder than words....my recruitor knows i had a hurt knee...and its killing me....but i didnt complain when we did the times 1.5 mile or our 3 mile times poolee activity....i have busted my a$$ for 3 weeks...losing 15 pounds....improving on everything, and learning all my info and more....sorry if i have to ask certain things twice.....thats just becuase im the kinda person that tries to get things right the first time so i dont have to go back and do it all over again....i dont do things half a$$ i give my all on everything.....and ktriplett, i can just tell by what you say , how long you have been in the dep....and your gonna have a rude awakening if you like telling everyone what to do once you hit boot....not trying to be rude....but i think every1 should give respect to everyone on this website....cuase every1 going into or is already a marine....has or had to work hard to get where they wanna/wanted to be....so yea...laters

thedrifter
02-18-03, 06:41 PM
You say you don't want to anger any Marine or Civilian.......You have by showing disrepect to all the Marines in here......Marines is always spelled with a capital M........Your attitude is all wrong, you say everything I, the Marine Corps is a team and we win as a Team. You never put anybody down, you don't know what they have been thru and you haven't walked in their boots..........All the questions that you have asked, you were given proper answers. If you took a little time to review all the posts in the Pool-ee and Mentor Forums, you would have found the answers to your questions and more......
ktripplet has been in here for sometime and has earned the Respect of us Marines.........He probably knows more about my Beloved Corps than you can ever think of learning.........

The Drifter

PS: If you feel you need to talk to me, send me a PM

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 07:38 PM
Drifter i did pm you but your not logged in.....and im gonna address every1 here....yea im sorry about writting Marine without the capitol letter.....when i have something on my mind i write it so fast so i dont forget.....but about everything....the way i feel is istead on everything...every1 should give every1 respect...and for poolee's like ktripplet, telling people off and dissing them isnt the way of a Marine....and you keep doing this i dont care if your what 21? your not goining to make it...bc you dont get to open your mouth in boot camp...and your gonna be the one doin what every1 says.....Also i have lived in a military family.....two uncles died in Veitnam as a Marine, and Army..and also a grandfather who was in the Navy when Japan hit Pearl Harbor hard.....so i know whats ecpected of me to do what i need to do to be the best i can be as a future Marine.....and even when i get that title...im still going to bust my tail to be the best at what i do as a Marine......

Also about knowing my stuff.....i have gotten my ship date bumped up 6 months by working my tail off....lost 12 pounds, can do 8 pullups, 80 situps in 2 mins, and doin good running considering i have an injured knee, and i have learned all i needed to go going into boot camp.....im exited and stoked out by leaving....i cant wait.....

I wish you luck ktripplet at boot camp....i mean were family, dont get me wrong....i just think we all should take time to help each future Marine and already Marine.....becuase thats what family is for.....

JChristin
02-18-03, 08:57 PM
Hey, soon2bkidtx,

You are in for one rude spiritual awakening if you think you know it all before going to boot. An attitude adjustment will result.

Do not show disrespect to anyone who already holds the title you say you want to earn - and appearently already know ALL about on how to get. I know about my Beloved Corps, don't tarnish it. Thedrifter has given you sound advice, listen up.

Trust me, this is a rope of hope being tossed to you. Grab it.

semper fi
jchristin

JennyJake
02-18-03, 10:16 PM
Something about hanging himself with the rope is more like it. I have no room to talk, I know. Just couldn't help myself.

::Gets down and pushes:: I'll make it up to you... how many?

thedrifter
02-18-03, 10:23 PM
Drop and give me 50......

and now do some for yourself........

Sempers,

Roger

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 11:29 PM
I really dont know where i came off being rude to any Marine....im listening and i told Drifter and wrbones, im just a silly maggot with a lot to learn. and any information i can get from a Marine is good information. I respect all of the Marines and former Marines at this site, and all the Marines and Former Marines off this site. I dont have any experience in anything cuase i havent been threw anything yet. But i do know whats expected out of me, and im gonna give my all and i mean all to be the best.

All i wanted to say is that i think all Poolee's are in the same boat, cuase their all fighting for the same title, and thats the title of being called a Marine. So no poolee should diss any1 or thinkg their better than any1. Thats all.

But thanks to every1 that did give me good advice and didnt try to bash on me.....

ktriplett
02-18-03, 11:37 PM
Well, gee, was it something I said? I can't imagine what could possibly have gotten this guy so fired up.
Look, soon2bkidtx, I have nothing personal against you. Hell, I don't even know you. I'm also not in the mood to compare muscles with you, because that's not why I'm here. If you don't like what I have to say to you, you don't have to listen (or read). Everything that is said is said with the intent to help. If it helps you by ****ing you off, well my job is done regardless of the way it was done.
By the way, I know how excited you are. I've got a month and a half left and I can hardly wait. As for me making it, well we'll just have to see won't we? :) I'm up for the challenge, are you?

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 11:47 PM
Ktriplett-
Its been challenging from just enlisting man....I went to college and did not do anything for myself.....and Now joining the Marines....im finally doing something i want to do and not what everyone else wants me to do....but stilll when i joing i was 5'10 and 220, couldnt do one pull up, i did 40 sit ups in 2 mins, and my run was 14:30 in the 1.5 mile......i told my Gunny i wanted to leave asap cuase i was so motivated and so exited about joining.....he told me i need to prove to him i could do it....so i did.....2 weeks later....Im 204, my run is good for the minimun 13:30, im up to 9 pullups, and 80 situps in 2 mins.....and i got my ship date booted up to march 10th he told me today.....it was the 3rd but a guy thats already proven himself gets that date...but yea im so ready for the challenge....

And im sorry..its just i was always last in all the poolee activities 2 weeks ago, and i had all the other poolees motivating me and helping me out.....i just felt like you were trying to bash on me and other poolees that i have read....and just wanted say hey man were in the same boat...we need to motivate eachother and have teamwork,,,,becuase we are all family.....we need to help eachother....

But sorry i misunderstood everything....but yea i cant wait till i leave.....and i know i have a lot more to learn...but i know nothing in the world is going to make me quit....and like a said and quote,"a Marine that quits is a dead Marine!" and i totally live by that...cuase i will never quit.....

wrbones
02-19-03, 12:08 AM
Hell, KTriplett, You always listened the first time. I don't remember EVER ****ing you off! LOL.

Soon to B, ya need to start listening the first time bud.

We got everything you need to know here about the Marine Corps. Read and heed. Start with the POOL-ee and Mentor forums and go from there.

Several other POOL-ees around here didn't listen the first time when I offered this advice, not that I'm naming names or anything :D, but they DID listen the second time. Those who listened, like KTriplett and more than a dozen others around here, now know more about the Marine Corps than many Marines.They have a broader base of knowledge from which to work than many DEPer's and POOL-ees, which I hope will give them an advantage in the pursuit of a career in the Marine Corps.

All of the information posted on this site is similiar to having several types of military science and social arts college degrees once you've taken the opportunity to peruse it.

KTriplett is one of several who seem to spend much of their spare time reading and heeding the information posted here, in addition to their other "life" as students. SOme of the POOL-ees have been on the site for several months up to a year. They didn't wait until they were old enough to sign the paperwork or have a life 'crisis' bring them to it. Some of them might be younger, but they certainly have more knowledge currently than others new to the site.

They've had time to learn that what we say works.

We're Marines.

We know what works in your search to become a Marine.

Read and heed.