PDA

View Full Version : The excitement sets in

BrentAndrew
02-27-07, 06:53 PM
As of today, the amount of time between now and my ship date is the amount of time I'll spend on the island! Quite a thought! I'm very excited!:yes:

CJA
02-27-07, 07:24 PM
Yes, I have this very same thing happening to me. I remember when I first started counting down it was 220+ days, now, it's a few more days than I'll be there.

PatriotGirl422
02-27-07, 07:32 PM
Yup I'm in the same situation! I have about 2 months and 3 weeks until I ship!

Marine84
02-27-07, 08:09 PM
Ya'll make sure you come back here after bootcamp and let us know what happened that first wake up call....................I know we'll laugh like hell! It's OK though, we ALL had those same feelings before we went (if we had the time) and the same thought when we first got to either MCRD................WHAT THE HELL?

RuffNight2007
02-27-07, 08:27 PM
I still have 5 months =[ Need that diploma. But I signed up in August and the 6 months FLEW by!

slowrider
02-27-07, 08:36 PM
Marine84 - remember the first time on the Island? I'll never forget them yellow footprints :)

Marine84
02-28-07, 09:04 AM
I missed out on the yellow footprints - I straggled in a day late, late at night, by myself. The DI that they had to wake up to let me in was reallllllly mad - she was going through my stuff and pulled my cigarettes out of my purse - told me that she really didn't think they would be any good as long as she thought I would be on that Island and she asked if I wanted her to chunk 'em or leave 'em in my purse.

That whole first week was MADNESS for me! Then I got "traumatized" again when we got the DIs that would stay with us for the rest of bootcamp. I literally got scared out of bed that morning!

YLDNDN6
02-28-07, 10:12 AM
Sounds like 84 had herself a Pvt Benjamin moment!!!

DWG
02-28-07, 10:20 AM
Sounds like 84 had herself a Pvt Benjamin moment!!!

Ya know; I can picture that, now that you brought it up! Maybe she should change her signature to LCpl. BENJAMIN, U.S.M.C. :usmc:

:banana: :D

Marine84
02-28-07, 11:42 AM
Nope - had a bad attack of morals at MEPS and fessed up to something - had to spend an extra day due to waiting on "emergency" waiver. They made me feel more like Gomer Pyle because of the accent.

poolee18
02-28-07, 04:45 PM
still got 5 months and can't wait to go

BrentAndrew
02-28-07, 05:21 PM
Even 5 Months goes fast..... It feels like I just swore in a few days ago when in reality its been months.

poolarnold
02-28-07, 05:49 PM
i have 3 months and 26 days left not an im not going to lie i'm nervous the last 7 months have flown bye an i feel like im outta shape and i am over weight and i dont really know my general orders soooo i got a lot of work to do owell

BrentAndrew
02-28-07, 06:14 PM
Yea, I'll agree with ya there... So much to do!

Allen870922
02-28-07, 11:40 PM
I hope you have been working on your physical stuff like running, pull-ups, crunches, etc. I might also suggest you go on a few miles hike with a good pack. I wish I did that before I left. Those damn humps broke my feet.

You guys actually remember your first wake up call? First few weeks are like a blurr to me. Surpressed memories I guess. :p

I remember one thing right before we were getting turned over to our permanent SDI and DIs. We were sitting in a school circle with our recieving DI and a few other DIs who were just wandering around. And we heard a lot of yelling, the deck was shaking and all that. Our receiving DI said "And thats coming from first deck!".

poolee18
03-01-07, 09:21 AM
what is the best way to rember the general orders

Allen870922
03-01-07, 01:59 PM
Well, right now its best to just read them over and over and then saying them outloud. Once you know them have someone test you by having you say them in a random order. <br />
<br />
In boot the DIs will drill...

Moderboater
03-01-07, 02:04 PM
I will make up some online knowledge flashcards poolie, in fact it was for my own use, however we need to function as a whole. I will get this squared away in my spare time.

Moderboater

On a sidenote I have well over 85 cards right now on Marine Corp History.

Allen870922
03-01-07, 02:07 PM
I will make up some online knowledge flashcards poolie, in fact it was for my own use, however we need to function as a whole. I will get this squared away in my spare time.

Moderboater

On a sidenote I have well over 85 cards right now on Marine Corp History.

I have a book "Guide book for Marines" that was issued to me in boot. Actually, I have 2. Any poolee want one? I feel I can part with it. 5 months of having knowledge drilled into my head has worked. I don't need a damn book anymore.

WanderWannabe
03-01-07, 03:37 PM
Agreed, Allen. I will be repeating JJ DID TIE BUCKLE in my sleep until I'm 90. To the OP - It's good to be excited...it's what's going to carry you through those first couple of weeks.

smjone4
03-04-07, 06:30 AM
These guys spend all this time counting down the days til they go in and then once your there all that matters is counting down the chows/racks/sundays til you get out. Everyone is in the mindset of "I wanna get there, I wanna get there" but once you make it it changes to "Get me the hell outta here!" lol

SmokeyBandit
03-04-07, 07:31 AM
But isn't that a Sir Sandwich?

Allen870922
03-04-07, 09:40 AM
But isn't that a Sir Sandwich?

It is but every single DI or SDI I had we said it like that. Just like with other things like:
"Sir good morning Sir, Recruit Dumbass request permission to speak to Drill instructor Sergeant Shields, Sir"
There might be one or 2 more I'm missing but thats all I can think of right now with the sir sandwich.

These guys spend all this time counting down the days til they go in and then once your there all that matters is counting down the chows/racks/sundays til you get out. Everyone is in the mindset of "I wanna get there, I wanna get there" but once you make it it changes to "Get me the hell outta here!" lol
I used to count the sundays until I finally gave up on counting cause I was there for so long. Only other counting I did was when I was in MRP and I would make a hash mark in my rack with my el marko each night. I gave up on that after a while too.