PDA

View Full Version : Parris Island has a new voice

thedrifter
02-16-03, 11:10 PM
Parris Island has a new voice
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 2003214111439
Story by Cpl. Amanda Harris

MCRD PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(February 7, 2003) -- Staff Sgt. Tyron Downing's voice booms over the Peatross Parade Deck, imprinting on the minds of more than 200,000 visitors each year as he takes his place in what he calls, "the greatest show on Earth" - recruit graduation.
"I want to give the audience a show," said Downing. "Many of them have driven for days or flown for hours to see their new Marines.
"Parris Island is the greatest show on Earth and I'm proud to be a part of that. I'm there to send the Marines off with a farewell and there's nothing greater than seeing a new Marine marching across the parade deck.
"I get to see them in their most defining moment. It's rewarding knowing that I'm a part of it - it's just awesome."
After spending the past two of his 10 years in the Marine Corps on the drill field with Charlie Co., 1st RTBn., Downing said he welcomes the break narrating provides.
"Instead of being rewarded every three months when you're a drill instructor, I'm rewarded every week," he added. "It's a break from stress, not really from work. Right now I'm working on making my delivery more effective so the ceremony will flow better and I'll have the pitch and inflection down perfect."
To make sure he narrates the graduation parades, the family day ceremony and the indoor graduations just right, Downing spends hours each day practicing.
"I practice five to six hours a day. The hardest part comes during the speech on former Marines. I've practiced that over and over and I still stumble over it every once in a while," said the Plymouth, N.C., native.
"Many who have helped shape our nation's history," quotes Downing, referring to his stumbling block in the narration. "Try saying that three times fast and you'll know why I sometimes stumble," he explained.
To combat any problems, Downing practices every chance he gets, even at home. Lucky for Downing, he has a very supportive family.
"My family thinks me narrating is great, and at the same time they think it's funny," he said. "They listen to me for hours on end. They hear me practice the ceremony over and over and that includes listening to the graduation music. I think anyone who's heard the graduation music four or five times in a row knows just how supportive they're being."
Downing added his wife Lolla and his 4-year-old daughter have come to all three of the graduations he's narrated so far.
"My two sons are both in school during the day, so they can't make the graduations," Downing said, "but my wife is always there."
An aviation ordnance Marine, Downing tried out for the role of narrator without practicing and was selected by a panel of Marines.
"I heard they were looking for a new narrator and I thought, why not, I like to read, I like to talk and I've always been told I had a good announcer voice," said Downing. "I used to read promotions and other awards for 1st [RTBn.] and was always told I did a good job. Plus, I had already graduated five platoons then and that gave me a little more experience too."
It was during Downing's narration of a post and relief that one of the panel members who helped select Downing first heard him.
"I heard him at the ceremony and I remember thinking he had a good narrating voice," said Sgt. Maj. Duane A. Guise, RTR sergeant major. "When I heard him at the tryout, I knew he had the right voice for a public address system. When you're listening to Downing, if you close your eyes you would think you're listening to the radio."
Downing, whose father is a retired Marine master sergeant, said although he's only been in his new job for a few weeks, he already loves it and is considering making broadcasting a career after he retires from the Marine Corps.
"I would like to get a degree in broadcasting someday. For now, it's good practice talking in front of thousands of people," he said. "Hopefully, I'll still be doing stuff like this 20 years from now. I mean, I should have my voice forever and hopefully I'll be successful."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003214113611/$file/Voice1.jpg
Staff Sgt. Tyron Downing, the new Parris Island narrator, reads the script at the Jan. 31 graduation at the Peatross Parade Deck. Downing said he's proud to be a part of the recruits' most defining moment.
Photo by: Cpl. Amanda Harris

The Drifter