PDA

View Full Version : Marine from Reno heads to Iraq after being jilted in love

thedrifter
02-26-07, 08:52 AM
Marine from Reno heads to Iraq after being jilted in love

By: Associated Press -

RENO, Nev. -- Kyle Griffin shipped out with his Marine unit for Iraq on Sunday, a week after he was jilted by the woman he wanted to marry.

Griffin, 19, returned home to Reno from his military base in San Diego to propose to his girlfriend on Feb. 17.

He arranged to put up a billboard with his proposal in neighboring Sparks. On a bright pink billboard was her name and the question: "Will you marry me?"

But after he bought a non-returnable engagement ring and got down on one knee in front of the billboard, his girlfriend said, "No."

"I want you to make sure you don't make her sound like the bad guy in this," Griffin told Reno Gazette-Journal columnist Siobhan McAndrew. "She's just kind of moving on with her life, and I've been gone at basic training and in San Diego for a year."

Last year, he and his girlfriend had a baby girl, now 7 months old, and Griffin thought he was completing the final step in making a family.

Griffin's mother, Leila Juhl, said she's trying to deal with knowing her son just had his heart broken and is heading to war.

"It just breaks my heart," Juhl said. "I have insomnia. I can't sleep. I'm so worried about him."

She said she won't know where her son is stationed in Iraq or when she'll hear from him next. His unit will be deployed for seven months doing search and rescue.

Griffin said he's doing OK and needs everyone to be brave for him.

"I believe in fate," he said. "However things work out, it will be for the best."

Ellie