PDA

View Full Version : ‘Deer in Quantico’ parody hits home

thedrifter
02-24-07, 08:45 AM
‘Deer in Quantico’ parody hits home

By Beth Zimmerman - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Feb 23, 2007 23:19:30 EST

A morning radio show duo struck a chord with leatherneck listeners in the national capital region Wednesday.

Ben Campbell and Brian Egan of “Ben and Brian in the Mornings” with the Rockville, Md.-based WMZQ radio station aired a song called “Deer in Quantico” — a parody of Kenny Chesney’s 2005 country song, “Beer in Mexico.”

Campbell crooned his Chesney impersonation throughout the song, which describes a motorist who hits a “10-point buck” at Quantico on his way to work. It was a concept the radio team just thought was funny — but as soon as the song aired, the station was flooded with calls from folks who live and work on Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.

They pointed out that deer-related accidents happen so often, base officials put up signs inside the front and back gates to track the number of deer hit on base. Staff Sgt. Brandon Swenson, a base spokesman, remembered that number reaching 41 for the year; however, the signs were no longer up Feb. 22.

The deer “just come out of the woodwork at night,” Swenson said. He described groups of deer that almost swarm the base.

Egan said the parody developed when he read something that mentioned deer on Quantico, and it stayed in the back of his mind until the next time he heard “Beer in Mexico.”

“It wasn’t like everyone in town was talking about the deer getting hit down there,” Egan said. But after the song was played on air, people called in and said “it really happens,” Egan said. One of the callers claimed to have hit six deer on base, he added.

The duo hopes the song brings a little levity to a serious situation.

“Anything we can do to keep [service members and their families] chuckling — it’s a privilege to be able to do that,” Egan said.

Read the song’s lyrics here.

Deer in Quantico

Posted : Friday Feb 23, 2007 22:47:09 EST

By the Ben & Brian Band

Ben & Brian in the Mornings on WMZQ

Staring out at Highway 619

My car’s totaled in this ravine

I’ve been waiting here watching cars go by

As all the rubberneckers stop and stare

It’s hard to fathom my bad luck

This time, it was a 10-point buck

I need to find a ride to come and pick me up

For I ain’t gonna go anywhere

So I’ll sit right here ’cuz I hit another deer in Quantico

I’m sure my boss will probably think I’m lying

So I just sit right here ’cuz I hit another deer in Quantico

I’ll never make it into work on time

[sound of phone ringing, singer calls boss]

“Hey Bossman, how you doin’ man?”

“Pretty good, what’s up?”

“You’re never gonna believe this”

“Lemme guess, you hit a deer again, and you’re gonna be late to work”

“How did you know!”

“You know what, don’t even bother coming in, ok. You’re fired!”

Being unemployed is scary

With no more job for me to go to

This is your personal invitation to my

Venison barbeque.

You can listen to the song at www.wmzq.com/pages/Ben_and_Brian.html by scrolling down on the right.

Ellie