PDA

View Full Version : Reserve unit in Columbia, SC/Fort Jackson?

Curt Geezus
02-22-07, 11:14 AM
A recruiter told me they have a reserve infantry unit at Fort Jackson, which isn't on the list of reserve units when I looked them up.

So is there anyone who can confirm or deny that there is a reserve infantry unit at Fort Jackson?

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-22-07, 11:55 AM
The unit is infantry, but not 0311. Ft. Jackson is home of F Company, 4th Light Armored Recon. (LAVs)

Curt Geezus
02-22-07, 05:59 PM
Is that 0300? I don't much about this MOS but I beleive it involves tanks right? Forgive my ignorance please.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-22-07, 08:56 PM
No, it doesn't involve tanks. It involves LAVs. The MOS is 0313- LAV Crewman. They drive the LAV's and shoot the guns. In case you don't know, an LAV is a six wheeled armored amphibious vehicle. There are several different variations, ranging from Communications to TOW missiles. They have 7.62 coaxials and at least one variant has a 25mm chaingun. Pretty cool stuff, but it isn't being an 0311 if that is what you're wanting to do.

cplbrooks
02-23-07, 08:54 AM
OK, i hope i can shed some light on this being that i am with B. Co. 4th LAR. It is an LAV unit but they do have 0311's. The 0311's are used as scouts who sit in the back of the LAV's. When scouting or 0311 stuff needs to happen they get out of the back and do their thing with a lot of fire power backing them up.

LAV units have every 0300 MOS in the unit. TOW, Mortars, Heavy weapons, Riflemen, and LAV crewmen. If you want to do infantry then this unit should be fine for you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-23-07, 02:39 PM
Right you are Cpl Brooks. I don't know why I was thinking it would only be the LAV crewmen. I am sure that all of the reserve LAR units are set up in such a way as to have everything they need at the unit. (Although I did think that all reserve TOW gunners were with TOW Co. and not assigned to their own respective units.)

Regardless, the biggest advantage is that you won't have to walk too much. Mounted infantry is something to be appreciated.

Curt Geezus
02-25-07, 06:38 PM
Very interesting. I'm actually surprised he wasn't lying to me, it sounded like he just pulled it out of thin air.

Do you happen to know if you would get to choose which specific MOS you would want since it is the reserves?

cplbrooks
02-25-07, 08:16 PM
yes, in the reserves you pick your specific MOS, active duty you pick your occupational field.

Curt Geezus
02-26-07, 04:16 PM
Good to know, thanks.