PDA

View Full Version : Bismarck prepares to welcome Marine home

thedrifter
02-21-07, 01:29 PM
Bismarck prepares to welcome Marine home
City gears up for return of Casey Helms
By CHRIS CLINE\Daily Journal Staff Writer

BISMARCK - A city is gearing up for the return of one of its Marines. Bismarck city officials are making final plans today to welcome home U.S. Marine Sergeant Casey Helms. Helms is expected to return to his hometown tonight.

“We are having a banner made to welcome Casey home,” said Bismarck Mayor Dennis Mayberry. “I think we are going to put it up by the “Welcome to Bismarck” sign. I need to call and talk to Casey's mom and dad today. I would like to line the streets with American flags to show our appreciation. However, I understand Casey wants to keep his return home low key and we will respect that.”

Mayberry said regardless of how it is done, Helms will be welcomed home.

“At some point I hope to have a parade for him,” Mayberry said. “We need to set a precedent here in Bismarck as to how we welcome our men and women home. When I came home from Vietnam, we didn't get that. Casey is a hero and he is one of our boys. We appreciate everything he has done for this country.”

Helms was hospitalized in Bethesda, MD after he was injured in a roadside bomb attack on Feb. 7 in Iraq. Helms' mother Diane Helms said the return home was being delayed until tonight because Casey wants to attend the funeral of one of his fellow Marines who was killed in the same roadside bombing. The funeral will be held this afternoon at Arlington National Cemetery.

“He (Casey) is doing so well,” the mother said on Tuesday. “He is going to do his therapy at Mineral Area Regional Medical Center and will go to the VA Clinic in St. Louis.”

Diane said her son doesn't want a lot of special attention because he feels that he is one of the lucky ones who is still alive and has returned to a sense of normalcy.

“He doesn't want a lot of special treatment because of that,” Diane said.

Sergeant Helms said on Tuesday that he was getting better everyday and he couldn't wait to get home.

Helms is a 2002 graduate of Bismarck High School. He enlisted in the Marines following graduation. This is his second tour of duty.

Ellie