PDA

View Full Version : Students get a lesson in patriotism

thedrifter
02-17-07, 08:07 AM
Originally created Saturday, February 17, 2007

Students get a lesson in patriotism

Members of the military talk to St. Joseph Catholic School kids at a recent event.

By DAN SCANLAN, Staff writer

Marine Cpl. Stephen Henley stood tall, a banner that read "God Bless Our Troops" behind him and more than 600 students from St. Joseph Catholic School before him.

One of three current or former members of the military at the school Feb. 2 to tell the children about their jobs here and overseas and what led them there, he was the last to speak at an event during Catholic Schools Week at the Mandarin school at 11600 Old St. Augustine Road.

The young man told students his life started with seminary, but turned to the Marines. He was most recently deployed in a dangerous area west of Baghdad.

"I remember going to bed doing my nightly Rosary, not knowing if I would get up the next morning," Henley said, emotion filling his voice as his mother, Mary, watched with the students.

"My company was in Iraq seven months and we received 20 percent casualties, but thanks to God, nobody was lost," he said.

The well-being of his brothers in arms overseas was also on the mind of Army Lt. Col. Tim Kelley as he spoke to the students.

"Right now we have lots of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan serving our country. These women and men are some of the greatest people we have in the United States," he said.

After hearing from the two, fourth-grader Katie Rose, her father on Navy duty out of town, said she learned more about what it means to be in the service.

"I felt really sad for what happened to them, and very happy they served for us," she said.

Olivia Howard, an eighth-grader, said she is glad her schoolmates learned more about what's going on in Iraq from Henley.

"He made me want to cry because it shows it is not easy and fun, but what you have to do because you are an American," she said.

St. Joseph was one of dozens of area Catholic schools that celebrated Catholic School Week with events for students and their parents. The school's middle school students also collected and prepared care packages for military personnel stationed overseas.

"We shipped 250 pounds on ... [Feb. 6], and probably still have another 50 pounds yet to ship," said parent volunteer Michelle Horning, who organized the event. "You all made awesome contributions to our military, and you should always be proud of making a difference."

Then all of the school assembled in patriotic colors, miniature U.S. flags in hand, to listen to a parish priest and two parishioners who together represented the Army, Navy and Marines.

The Rev. Bernard Ahearn started with a prayer as his own white Navy dress uniform hung behind him. He gave thanks for the freedom to assemble as they did, remembering his two years in the Navy in World War II and 25 years (1960-85) as a Navy chaplain, some in a mobile medical unit in Vietnam.

"It was my privilege to serve the country and be with men who had their lives on the line every day, some who died," he said.

Kelley stepped up next in desert camouflage. His father was a Marine who encouraged him to attend The Citadel military academy. Kelley did and entered the Army reserves as an officer. Activated for duty in Operation Desert Storm in Iraq, he moved his family to Jacksonville five years ago. Reactivated in March 2006, he coordinates reserve soldier mobilization to Iraq.

He first asked students if they were proud to be Americans, then asked why. A student said "to be free," while one of his daughters added she was proud "to have my Daddy as a person who serves in the Army." He led the classes in the Pledge of Allegiance, asking what each line meant.

"The Pledge of Allegiance is pledging one's loyalty and devotion to one's country," he told them. "What is justice? Fairness? That is right - everyone is treated equally and has the same rights."

Henley's father is a Marine veteran, too, in Iraq now with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A Maryland native, Henley said he went to seminary in New Hampshire after high school. But he decided the priesthood wasn't for him and he came to Jacksonville with his family, joining the Marine Corps as three brothers were on duty in Iraq.

He went there in April, meeting his father as his mother waited at home, her husband and sons on the latest of 10 deployments.

"I attribute her great strength to her faith," he said. "Throughout my life, I found my faith has been one solid foundation I could rely upon to get me through the tough times as well as the peaceful times."

His session ended with a standing ovation, then Henley and Kelley conducted a precise flag-folding ceremony. Students whose family members are serving in the military joined the men at the end to sing Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA.

dan.scanlan@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4549

Ellie