PDA

View Full Version : 'Chasing my dream'

thedrifter
02-14-07, 01:07 PM
'Chasing my dream' <br />
Nine-fingered marine serious about big league chance <br />
Posted: Wednesday February 14, 2007 12:19PM; Updated: Wednesday February 14, 2007 1:11PM <br />
<br />
Cooper Brannan couldn't help...

thedrifter
02-14-07, 01:09 PM
Padres Sign Injured War Vet To Minor League Deal <br />
<br />
A Marine corporal who lost a finger to a grenade in Iraq will be trading his fatigues for a baseball uniform next month when he reports to the San...

thedrifter
02-14-07, 01:13 PM
My new favorite player has been to the show
February 14, 2007
David Stein

I've got a new favorite baseball player. This is very exciting for me. I haven't had a true favorite baseball player since Cookie Rojas. I still say his "barely over the outstretched glove of Billy Williams home run" in the 1972 All-Star Game is the greatest home run ever. Sure, that whole "Kirk Gibson thing" was nice... "I don't believe what I just saw!" And... .oh, yeah...some folks will go with Bill Mazeroski or Bobby Thompson ... .but for my money...give me "The Jas."

Anyhoodles...I digress. I have a new favorite baseball player. This guy may never appear in an All-Star Game. This guy may never get a Cy Young. This guy may never even play in the majors, let alone win a game. However, this guy has already been to the show and he's already won. A Purple Heart, that is.

His name is Cpl. Cooper Brannan, and he's going to Spring Training with the Padres. He used to pitch for Highland High School in Gilbert, AZ. He is 22 and until recently he was in the midst of his second tour of duty in Iraq (I'm sure he'll just smile and look away the first time he hears a ballplayer complaining about a bus ride or the quality of the buffet in the locker room.) A stray fungo probably won't distract him. After all, IED's were his nemesis. Line drives won't bother him. Rocket Propelled Grenades did.

I don't have details on how he was injured, but reports say he lost a finger on his non-throwing hand. The Marines are letting him out a year early so he can give this a try. That's pretty cool. I don't know anything else about Cooper Brannan, but I do know one thing. If he makes it to this Show, I'll buy an MLB jersey for the first time ever.

Ellie