PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's thoughtful words, gift leave impression on 7-year-old

thedrifter
02-13-07, 06:25 AM
Veteran's thoughtful words, gift leave impression on 7-year-old
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The little boy met a Marine and it left a positive impression.

The encounter happened at Frisch's Big Boy at 8181 Springboro Pike, near the Dayton Mall on Friday evening.

Jacob Monson, a 7-year-old Miamisburg boy, was with his stepfather, Bob Bates, his mother, Kelly, and 18-month-old sister, Hannah Bates.

Bob explained that a man was wearing a jacket that identified him as a veteran of the U.S. Marines who had served in the Vietnam war. He had some medals pinned to his jacket and was in a nearby booth with his wife.

"The veteran eventually walked over and addressed Jacob," Bob said. "He tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he would like to have a gift. Jacob is outgoing, and he smiled and said, 'sure' "

The veteran pulled a little metal pin with the Marine insignia out of his pocket and then the man and the boy began to chat.

"At one point Jacob told the man he had a nightmare the other night," Bob said. "The veteran listened with interest and then told Jacob not to be afraid of nightmares, or of the dark. He told Jacob that when he was in combat he was frightened, but that he survived, and that Jacob should be strong and handle each challenge like a brave young man should."

Later the veteran took the father aside and thanked him for allowing him to talk to Jacob.

"He said that parents need to be wary in this day and age about strangers and he knows children are taught to ignore people they don't know," Bob said. "The veteran told me he knows we teach our children not to accept gifts from strangers, but he was pleased he was allowed to give Jacob a medal to wear."

Bob said it is true that he and Kelly have taught Jacob to be cautious, but that they were right there at the time.

"And I think this shows that there are many people in the world that really care about children," the father said. "With proper supervision there can be a time for such friendly exchanges."

"Usually people make over the baby, so it was really nice that this man took the time to be kind to Jacob," Bob said.

Before he left the table the veteran helped pin the Marine pin on Jacob's jacket, and Jacob said he couldn't wait to take it to school to show his friends.

Later, when he prepared to leave the restaurant, the veteran walked back to the table to say goodbye to his new young friend.

The man stood at attention and saluted Jacob.

The child returned a sharp salute.

"Then the old guy turned around and left with his wife," Bob said. "It was a pretty cool moment."

Small town America

John "Doc" Hazelton, a former U.S. Army medic who served in Vietnam said he attended the funeral in New Carlisle on Feb. 3 for Cpl. Nicholas Paul Brown, 24, who was killed in Iraq.

"I was impressed to see so many people, young and old, lining the way in the bone chilling cold winter weather with flags and paying respects to this young soldier," Hazelton said. "I truly witnessed what we call 'small town America' at its best.

"I will never forget what I saw that day. God bless New Carlisle and God bless America."

Dale Huffman wants your suggestions and story ideas. He'd like to share a story about you, your family, or a friend that you find touching or humorous. This column is for you. Got a tale about your child? Have you seen the works of a good Samaritan? Do you want to share a special day coming up in your life? Send e-mail to dhuffman@DaytonDailyNews.com or write to Dale at 45 S. Ludlow St. Dayton OH 45402. Fax: (937) 225-2489. Phone: (937) 225-2272.

Ellie