PDA

View Full Version : Meu

paintballtroop
02-09-07, 09:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone one could tell me what the Marine Expeditionary Unit does exactally and what the tanks do for them?

thanks

paintballtroop
02-09-07, 09:45 PM
And another question I have is that I saw the requirements for being a tank crewman and it said you had to have corrected 20/20 but I have 20/25 is that Ok or do I have to get em fixed? And I was also wondering if I become Infantry can I chose to be a radioman? Im not sure why but Ive always wanted to be a radioman if I go Infantry

cplbrooks
02-10-07, 01:33 AM
And another question I have is that I saw the requirements for being a tank crewman and it said you had to have corrected 20/20 but I have 20/25 is that Ok or do I have to get em fixed? And I was also wondering if I become Infantry can I chose to be a radioman? Im not sure why but Ive always wanted to be a radioman if I go Infantry

A MEU has several units attached to it such as infantry, artillary, aviation or whatever is called for. It is a combined arms type of unit. They can be deployed on ship as in a Med cruise or westpac or deployed anywhere. It is like several different units working together to make a larger unit with more capabilities which support each other. That is the short answer. If you want a longer answer just look it up on the internet.

To answer your second question, yes you can be the radio man. I am sure that when you get to your grunt unit the current radio man will be glad to hand it over. You will understand when you get there. Something about the extra weight from the radio and extra batteries etc.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-10-07, 02:26 AM
You don't want to be the radioman if you're a grunt, just more weight to carry. If you want to be a radioman, be a radioman, much better chance of riding that way.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-07, 08:15 AM
God, kid, you don't know what you are getting yourself into. You want to be a "Field Radio Operator"???? Go play grunt instead. However, if you really want to hump "the prick", the Radio Operator will more than happily let ya. Don't forget the extra batteries, waterproof bags, field expedient antenna parts, extra AAA, AA, D, C, & other batteries, & the OE-254 antenna(s). That's BEFORE loading your own gear, if you have room for it. And weapon (which you'll ALWAYS have room for). And ammunition. Plus wire cutters, commo wire.

Have fun!

I was a 2531 'Field Radio Operator' with Comm Company, MSSG 24, during the late hate in Kosovo. Ended that deployment as Plt Sgt for the Platoon. The gear list above is only a partial one, no doubt I forgot a bunch of stuff.

One thing to also remember, it was my experience that while in the field or on an op, we were gainfully employed. In 'the rear with the gear', there really isn't much call for Field Radio Operators, consequently, you get to do antenna drills, PM the radios, clean the workspace, PM the radios, antenna drills, PM the vehicles, PM the radios, clean the workspace, PM the vehicles.......

But, I hope I didn't sugarcoat it. ;)

paintballtroop
02-10-07, 02:23 PM
I guess I didnt think about all that. I always thought it would be cool to call in air support and stuff but it probably isnt that great anyway. Ill probably stick to being in an Abrams

Quinbo
02-10-07, 03:49 PM
Carried the radio for about 4 years. Finally, without being disrespectful or beligerant I had to inform a lieutenant that if I am carrying the radio then I should talk on the radio.... if you want to talk on the radio then you carry the radio. Case closed .... There are some and I'm sure comm gets it worse, that think you are a mule that packs a 20 lb box ... cleans it maintains it and sleeps with it so that he can talk on the telephone.

Zulu 36
02-10-07, 08:14 PM
Carried the radio for about 4 years. Finally, without being disrespectful or beligerant I had to inform a lieutenant that if I am carrying the radio then I should talk on the radio.... if you want to talk on the radio then you carry the radio. Case closed .... There are some and I'm sure comm gets it worse, that think you are a mule that packs a 20 lb box ... cleans it maintains it and sleeps with it so that he can talk on the telephone.
Man, your Lt must have been a bit of a control freak. When I was a flight sergeant in AF security police, I had a radioman to carry my PRC while we in the field. The less I had to talk to the puzzle palace the happier I was so I let the radio guy do 80% of the yakking. As we were Air Guard, he'd been around me for a while and knew what to say as well as I did.

Of course I was an E-7 at the time and that could have something to do with it.

Still, my unit commander was an ex-Army infantry company CO and he liked to have the flight sergeants carry the PRCs or machine guns when we did training hikes so we'd "remember" how heavy those damned things were. Well, except for that little foible, he was was pretty good boss. :D

Marine84
02-10-07, 08:53 PM
I guess I didnt think about all that. I always thought it would be cool to call in air support and stuff but it probably isnt that great anyway.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! He thought it was gonna be a "talkin' on the radio" thing!

Don't ya'll have to name them things too?