PDA

View Full Version : Running

Integrity57
02-06-07, 08:04 PM
I was just wondering if any Marines or Poolees had any advice on running. I work out 6 days a week and do my running/cardio 3 of those days and at best can crank out a mile a day, I can lift weights all day, but a mile is the best I can do as far as running at the time, and I've been training for almost 2 monthes now. I'm a heavy set guy and I'm not looking to enlist until maybe June, if my waiver is approved so I think I've got enough time to get this down. But I could really use any good advice anyone might have. Thanks in advance.

Marine84
02-06-07, 08:13 PM
run til you want to puke....................

listen to music, get a cadence CD and listen to it, treat yourself to something after your run

SkilletsUSMC
02-06-07, 08:17 PM
I was just wondering if any Marines or Poolees had any advice on running. I work out 6 days a week and do my running/cardio 3 of those days and at best can crank out a mile a day, I can lift weights all day, but a mile is the best I can do as far as running at the time, and I've been training for almost 2 monthes now. I'm a heavy set guy and I'm not looking to enlist until maybe June, if my waiver is approved so I think I've got enough time to get this down. But I could really use any good advice anyone might have. Thanks in advance.

Go get an Ipod with LOTS of bad ass metal, or running cadence, and the family, or neighborhood dog. Dogs love to run too, and it will keep your mind off of the breathing as I suspect your problem is. You could also go get some of the Nike free 5.0 shoes . They are meant to mimic barefoot running, and will strengthen your feet and legs. I love them, but you dont NEED them to get better. The key to running is pick'n em up and settin' em down, if you are about to die, then slow down, but DONT stop... Tell yourself you will NEVER stop until you have reached the target of the day.

Good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-06-07, 09:33 PM
Go to runnersworld.com and ask on their forums. When you realize that the advice they give you is a little too soft for anyone wanting to be a Marine, come back and follow the advice above. You'll get where you need to be by stepping out the door and running.

SkilletsUSMC
02-07-07, 12:02 AM
Go to runnersworld.com and ask on their forums. When you realize that the advice they give you is a little too soft for anyone wanting to be a Marine, come back and follow the advice above. You'll get where you need to be by stepping out the door and running.

??? Most of those guys would run Marines dicks into the dirt. When ever I read that magazines, they all talk like they run marathons just for fun.

cplbrooks
02-07-07, 11:53 AM

What is your current height and weight? What is the waiver for?

You need to run slower for longer periods of time until you get that run up to 1.5 miles. Once you have the distance down then you can work on the run time. Stop lifting weights and stick with the cardio.

HardJedi
02-07-07, 12:26 PM
her is the big secret... ready?

run more, run longer, and DO NOT STOP WHEN YOU ARE TIRED!

it's not a big secret.

and just to let you know, when i went to boot camp, I ran the 1.5 miles in 15 minutes.

on final PFT i ran 3 miles in 18:30.

wdbeck
02-07-07, 02:12 PM
The Marine Gunny who wrote this article http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/pt/pt12.asp knows what he's talking about. He has helped me. Maybe he can help you, too. Good luck and Semper Fi!

drumcorpssnare
02-07-07, 02:24 PM
57- One of the most important things you'll learn in boot camp, if you make it, is that it is possible to do things you thought you could NEVER DO!
When you run, and you get to that point where you just know you can't go another ten feet....keep going! Go twenty feet! Prove to yourself you can do more!
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Integrity57
02-07-07, 03:15 PM
What is your current height and weight? What is the waiver for?

You need to run slower for longer periods of time until you get that run up to 1.5 miles. Once you have the distance down then you can work on the run time. Stop lifting weights and stick with the cardio.

I'm about 6 ft., 230 lbs., and my waiver is for my tattoos (I have quarter sleeves on both forearms.) Like most of you suggested I run until I think I'm gonna puke or pass out. It's really weird how some of you guessed that I was having trouble with my breathing technique, are you guys watching me? No but seriously I can't believe all of the positive advice/feedback I've been getting, it's a huge help that I've been looking for and really appreciate it, expecially bigfoot1188, moderboater, skillets, and everyone else, thanks a bunch guys, hopefully I'll be able to get my run time and my weight down and ship out in June. Thank again, Integrity57.