PDA

View Full Version : The Pledge

thedrifter
02-06-07, 11:28 AM
February 05, 2007
The Pledge

Below is an email I got from a friend. Read the entire email, it will open your eyes and hopefully get you fired up. Its our country. We speak english, we drive on the right side of the road and if we want to say the pledge of allegiance, in our schools, its up to us to make it happen. If we don’t teach our kids, someone else will!!!

Hey Maj Pain!!!

You probably do not remember me, but we met on the Anysoldier boat ride last year. I was there with my boyfriend Marc. It has been awhile since then. How are you? As you might guess my boyfriend and I are big fans of yours!!! The other night we attended a Toby Keith concert. If you have never heard of him before, he is a country rock singer who is very patriotic. He dedicated his concert to all of our US Troops! At the end of the concert all the lights in the arena went out...and all you could hear were the sound of army boots.

He brought a bunch of soldiers up on stage and sang them two of his greatest songs. One is called "American Soldier" and the other is called "Angry American". There were fire works and American flags everywhere...the whole crowd started chanting USA USA USA...I was in tears and it was absolutely moving! Toby Keith said "No matter if you are Republican or Democrat...these men make this country free and keep us safe...and there is no greater job and these men deserve more than we could ever give back to them!" It was so nice to hear the support of the crowd with out all of the politics! Everyone became one and were cheering our troops on! I thought of you and I just want to say thank you thank you thank you...I could never say it enough times to really let you know how I feel!

On another note...I know you are a very busy man...but if you have a second for some advice...I need your help. I am currently student teaching and something struck me the other day while I was in class. Three weeks ago I started student teaching in a fifth grade class and I quickly realized that the class did not say the Pledge of Allegiance first thing in the morning. I know that it can be a touchy subject in some districts (which I find completely ridiculous) so I decided not to say anything and see how my first week there went. A couple of days later, my cooperating teacher asked the class to please stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance...I was so glad to see that they were going to say it until I heard some of the things coming out of the students mouths...for example "Why do we have to do this" "What did the flag ever do for me"
"This is so stupid" "I don't get why I should have to stand and say this"...I was appalled, I am a very patient person but all I wanted to do at that moment was scream and yell. So I turned to the teacher afterwards and told her in the nicest way that I could, that the students need a lesson on why it is they say the Pledge...and she said that's why I don't make them say the Pledge everyday because all they do is complain. That made me even more angry so I went to the principal and told him how I felt...he agreed with me and said he gives me permission to give them as many lessons as I want about why we respect the flag and if any of them disrespect the flag again to send them straight to him. Needless to say...both him and I were upset. I think the problem is...no one ever taught them the purpose of the flag..and I do not think that they understand why we pledge or even realize the magnitude of what is happening overseas. This is frustrating to me and upsetting because I do not know how to go about making them understand exactly why we salute the flag or why we say the pledge. I do not think that they will listen to me or care. The principal and I spoke for awhile on this topic because he knew how upset I was. I also discussed it with my boyfriend Marc and both him and I agree that if a soldier came to my class and spoke to them, it may be more effective. I think that they would respect it coming from a soldier more then from me. What do you think? My principal loved the idea also but I do not know who I would ask to come and speak to my class. When I heard you speak on the Anysoldier boat ride...I would have to say it was the best speech that I have ever heard and I was greatly impacted by it and I will never forget it! I know you are a busy man and couldn't come and speak to them (although I truly wish you could) but is there any chance that you know someone who might be willing to come and speak to them in the northern Jersey area? Or do you know how I could find a soldier to come and speak to them? Or do you have a better idea for me? I want a soldier in uniform to impact them the way that you impacted me and still impact me everyday! Once again thank you for all you have done...you are my hero! I know your busy so if you do not have time to get back to me...I completely understand!!! Please do not feel obligated.

Thank you in advance

God bless the USA
Diana

Ellie

drumcorpssnare
02-06-07, 12:37 PM
I have had the privelage of sharing the history of our country with many students, over the years. I think I have really reached the hearts and minds of a lot of these students using the "Living History" method used by re-enactors. All of these experiences were 'full-day' classes. And, whether the class covered "The American Revolution", "The Civil War", "WW II", or "Vietnam"...the concept was the same. The students actually became a participant in the conflict. For example:

At the beginning of the Civil War class, the students are divided into Union, Confederate, or slave groups.
Due to the advantage in population, industry, railroads, etc., the "Union" kids sat in the front of the class.
Any kids who were African-American, Hispanic, Native American, etc. portrayed the "lower-class" slaves, at the back of the room. They were not allowed to talk...at all.
The Confederates sat between the "Union" and the "slaves."
Everyone except the slaves had an opportunity to see and hold weapons, uniforms, flags, sing Civil War songs.
At lunch, the "Union" ate beef, potatoes, beans, hardtack, and apples. They had coffee to drink.
The Confederates had hardtack, bacon (salt pork) and water.
The slaves got water. (When they complained, a Southern plantation owner told them they were lucky to get that!)
There were discussions regarding "States Rights", "Slavery", "Abolitionists",
"preserving the Union", even the "N" word. (Still, the "slaves" couldn't speak)
For the Grand Finale, the Principal, a teacher, and two different students were allowed to fire a blank from a cannon!
Afterwards, you could see and feel the excitement in the kids faces! At one point, during a talk on Gettysburg, all the kids stood up. Then I had the correct percentage of "wounded" on both sides, sit down...and the ones I had lay on the floor were "dead." You should have seen the looks. Some were in tears! Even some teachers! The kids drew pictures of topics about the war that impressed them. Many of them said how truly interesting it was to "get involved" as opposed to reading a "boring book."
The part that made the adults cry was this. Just before everyone went outdoors to the cannon, the "slaves" began singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic, softly, then louder, then EVERYBODY! Big-time goose-bumps!

Anyway, if it's possible...get the kids involved in the lesson. With a little luck, they'll never forget it.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

DWG
02-06-07, 12:48 PM
I believe Johny Cash had a song called "This Old Flag" that was rather inspiring; especially if you can get the DVD version.

rockyusmc
02-08-07, 02:37 PM
diana,i live in northern nj.i dont know where you live,but i hope its not one of those town where being a patriot is a dirty word.in my town they dont like the military,the flag or the president.its the home of the anti war movement in nj.in discussions with some of the local hs kids they were surprised to learn that we fought the japanese in ww2.they are being taught nothing about patriotism and why we should stand and honor the flag.its very sad.when i was akid we were taught to salute and every day started with the pledge.we were taught to respect the military and our country.:iwo: