PDA

View Full Version : From espresso to expressions of love

thedrifter
02-04-07, 04:35 AM
Posted on Sun, Feb. 04, 2007
From espresso to expressions of love

BY MOLLY MILLETT
Pioneer Press

It was a caffeinated wedding. A few minutes before she walked down the aisle of the Coffee Grounds, her family's coffee shop in Falcon Heights, Sarah Lawrence fired up the espresso machine and made herself a cold press coffee.

"It takes a lot of caffeine to make me nervous," said the bride, a barista, shrugging.

But mix in some nuptials with the caffeine (the groom, Jesse Swett, drank a cold press, too), and you've got … the jitters.

"As we were about to start the ceremony, they said to me, 'Maybe we shouldn't have had that coffee,' " said the Rev. Ruth Sorenson-Prokosch.

"I saw Sarah's leg twitching," said the bride's mother, coffee shop co-owner Mona Rozycki. But then, the mother of the bride couldn't judge. "I did have five cups of coffee this morning," she said, looking jumpy.

Sarah and Jesse's courtship was as caffeinated as their wedding.

"We dated for about eight or nine months," says Sarah, 21. "We only got engaged a month ago, actually."

"Nobody expected it, not even us," says Jesse, 22.

One reason they rushed: Jesse, a Marine, is heading to Iraq for his third six-month tour this month.

"My friend recommended that we get married," says Jesse. "She said, 'If you're getting married eventually, why not get married now?' And we thought, 'Why not now?' "

Sarah and Jesse met through another friend.

"My friend Ryan was in the Marines with Jesse, and Jesse came to Minnesota on leave to visit him," says Sarah.

Sarah learned the cliché is true: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

"It was a really good first impression. She brought me to White Castle," says Jesse. "I had never been there before — I'm from New Hampshire. I got the Crave Case."

But that's not why Jesse fell in love with Sarah.

"I can see the future mother in her," he says.

Jesse might be a Marine, but Sarah fell in love with his softer side.

"He's so sweet to me," she says.

When Sarah and Jesse decided to get married quickly, they figured they'd go to a justice of the peace.

"We were going to have the wedding in a courtroom, but I never really wanted to," says Sarah. "I think every girl dreams of a huge wedding and a really fancy party. But then, one of my parents suggested the coffee shop, and I thought that sounded like a much better idea than a courtroom."

The bride's parents closed the shop early on Jan. 14 to transform the neighborhood cafe into a wedding chapel.

Some of the regulars purchased gifts and cards for the couple — they know Sarah from her time behind the counter.

The mother of the bride said, "One of the customers asked me, 'Did Sarah even know who I was? I was going to sign it, Skinny Mocha With a Little Whip and Hot Chocolate With Lots of Whip.' "

"And when Sarah opened the card, she did say, 'Who is this, Mom?' And I said, 'Skinny Mocha With a Little Whip and Hot Chocolate With Lots of Whip.' "

Soon after closing its doors on that Sunday afternoon, the coffee shop's wood tables were topped with candles, and friends and family members laid out a spread that included goat cheese drizzled with olive oil, baklava, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches, champagne, a lavender wedding cake made by the bride's brother and, of course, all the coffee the 22 guests could drink.

"Coffee's on the house today," said Dave Lawrence, father of the bride and co-owner of the shop.

Dad, looking as wired as the rest of the wedding party, seemed to relax a bit behind the espresso machine. "This is where I feel the most comfortable," he said.

As soon as the bride's twin sister returned from the grocery store with the ingredients for punch, the ceremony could begin. The bride hurried past the chalkboard sign advertising the brews of the day — Mexican, Kenya peaberry, French roast, hazelnut — and slipped into the kitchen to put on her $76 strapless wedding gown with black piping that matched her lip ring.

"This is just wild!" the father of the bride said as someone handed him some Kleenex and guests put down their coffee cups and took their seats.

The brief ceremony was held on the stage where musicians usually perform. As the couple fidgeted, the reverend prayed that when Jesse and Sarah "are far apart, keep them safe and know that they are always one."

Afterward, the champagne and coffee toasts began. As it started snowing, the small shop glowed with warmth and candlelight. It was the coffee shop's first wedding, but many couples have met there, including the Rev. Ruth Sorenson-Prokosch and her husband.

"I didn't know that — I'd better start coming here!" said the bride's aunt.

Five days after the wedding, the groom returned to North Carolina to prepare for deployment. The bride, a student at the Aveda Institute, stayed behind.

"The day he left was the saddest our house has ever felt," said Jesse's new mother-in-law.

"It's hard," said Sarah. "But staying busy with school is helping."

"I'm trying to make the best of it," said Jesse. "We have to struggle through six or seven hard months for the rest of our life together to start. Looking at it that way makes a bad situation sort of positive."

If you've said "I do" in the past 12 months and would like the Pioneer Press to consider profiling your wedding or commitment ceremony, contact Molly Millett at mollymillett@pioneerpress. com or 651-228-5505.

Ellie