PDA

View Full Version : For The Soon to be's

Phoenix Rogue
02-10-03, 08:44 PM
Im just starting out getting in mental and physical shape.
And im not sure where to start out. Where did the rest of you guys start with your PTing and so on?

< Like to point out im not trying to inconvienience any Marine >

:)

Super Dave
02-10-03, 09:39 PM
Run Run Run....Pull-Ups...Pull-Ups..Pull-Ups..Crunches..Crunches...Crunches...Run...Run...R un...

Alexander Haile
02-10-03, 09:47 PM
I hear that the first two weeks are the hardest. Is that true? If not, what do you think is?

wrbones
02-10-03, 09:48 PM
I just answered this somewhere else, but

there is a lot of info posted on how to get into shape for MCRD. The Marine Corps has a fitness program they recommend for you folks.

I do believe that link is posted somewhere in the POOL-ee or Mentor forum for your convenience.

ktriplett
02-10-03, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Super Dave
Run Run Run....Pull-Ups...Pull-Ups..Pull-Ups..Crunches..Crunches...Crunches...Run...Run...R un...

Can't get much better advice than this. Also, be reading your welcome aboard booklet. Learn the General Orders and Rank Structure.

Phoenix Rogue
02-11-03, 09:40 AM
Thanx guys I appretiate it.

Alexander Haile
02-11-03, 10:14 AM
Learning the General Orders and other information that you will soon be required to know, will be useful. Fortunately, I joined my High School's USMCROTC program. Ther I had to learn those things before I enlist. Not only will knowing that information help you in Boot, but you can aide other recruits too. And hopefuly, in doing so, be seen by your DI's as a real leader. (in other words, Know yourself, and seek self improvement.)

USMCFOREVER
02-11-03, 06:45 PM
I heard that the first month you shouldnt draw any unnecessary attention to yourself...my PT is a little different, on wednesday(could they make that day any harder to spell) my recruiter takes all us poolees out and works with us, 3 mile run, then a ton of calisthenics. My least favorite so far is monkey f***ers, where do they get these names? I do all of these everynight now to try and get ahead of the rest of the poolees in my area.

wrbones
02-11-03, 06:48 PM
If you don't have access to the General Orders and some of the 'other' Marine Corps "stuff" it's posted on the site.

Quite possibly in the POOL-EE Hall and Mentor forums! :D

Barrio_rat
02-11-03, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by USMCFOREVER
I heard that the first month you shouldnt draw any unnecessary attention to yourself...

Good luck there... Never heard of a recruit that didn't draw attention to themselves at least sometime in Boot Camp. Everyone gets a turn - some more than others. Best thing to do is, listen - follow orders, learn from your mistakes and learn from the mistakes of others.

Seeley
02-12-03, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by USMCFOREVER
My least favorite so far is monkey f***ers, where do they get these names

You should try Mother f***ers...those are just as fun and I'm sure once you do about 50 of 'em you'll understand where they got the name from :). If you don't know what they are its this:

1. Lay on back and make a cross shape like you are about to be crucified.
2. Lift legs up into air.
3. Keeping legs together and straight, move to the left and touch the ground.
4. Move legs to right side.
5. Repeat.

Good stuff though. Works out your abs pretty good :).

RoboRobinson17
02-13-03, 12:27 PM
We do alot of "dive bombers", as that is what the new Marines who graduate from our RSS tell us that is what they did alot of. It is almost like a pushup. You are in the pushup position, and you stick your butt up in the air. You come down at an angle, touch your chest to the floor, and extend your torso up and past your hands (looks like a yoga move). And then you REVERSE it. These are killer. Doing even 10 will get the ol' arms feeling like jello. And if anyone knows, I would like to get some more info on the monkey f' ers. Every little bit helps.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

Seeley
02-13-03, 04:36 PM
Monkey f'ers are when you grab your ankles and squat up and down. Really gets your quads in shape.

RoboRobinson17
02-13-03, 04:45 PM
Thanks Seeley

ktriplett
02-13-03, 06:49 PM
I was told the other day by a recruiter that they've stopped doing monkey f***ers in boot camp because they're bad for the knees. I can understand why, with the squatting, but they sure make your quads burn.

ktriplett
02-13-03, 06:58 PM
This is a portion of an article that appeared in Men's Health magazine a few months ago:

The Marines love their reputation as the "first to fight." But when they deploy to the sands of Iwo Jima or the mountains of Afghanistan, it's unlikely a gym will be handy. That's why Marine Corps fitness officials designed "The Daily 16," a comprehensive series of warmup and conditioning exercises that can provide a quick, powerful, total-body workout in any clime and place. It won't make you huge, but it will make you as lean as a U.S. Marine. (The "mean" part is up to you.)

Gunnery Sgt. Jeffrey Dixon, the physical-fitness instructor at Parris Island's Drill Instructor School, taught us this Daily 16 drill. It consists of eight warmup stretches, followed by two sets of conditioning exercises that vary depending on the day of the week.

For raw recruits, Dixon recommends doing five reps of each exercise the first week. Ramp up until you reach 20 repetitions. Do them Marine style: in four-count cadences. If you do 10 reps of each move, the workout should take 8 to 12 minutes to complete. The stretches should take about 10 minutes. Total workout time: 22 minutes.

STRETCHES

Upper-back stretch: Hold your arms straight out in front of your chest and clasp your hands together. Push your arms forward, rounding your shoulders and upper back. Hold 10 seconds. Where you'll feel it: Upper back

Chest stretch: Clasp your hands together, palms up, behind your lower back. Pull your arms up toward your head. Hold 10 seconds. Where you'll feel it: Front of your chest and shoulders

Shoulder and neck stretch: Place both arms behind your back and grab your left wrist with your right hand. Tilt your head to the right and pull your left arm to the right. Hold for 10 seconds, then repeat on the other side. Where you'll feel it: Shoulders and the sides of your neck

Posterior shoulder stretch: Grab the back of your left upper arm with your right hand and pull it across your chest gently. Hold for 10 seconds, then repeat on the other side. Where you'll feel it: Back of your shoulders

Lying iliotibial-band stretch: Lie on your back. Keep your left leg straight and lift it across your body. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat with the other leg. Where you'll feel it: Hips

Modified hurdler stretch: Sit on the floor with your left leg straight out in front of you. Place your right foot flat against your left thigh. Bend forward toward your left knee and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat with your right leg straight. Where you'll feel it: Back of the thighs

Groin stretch: Sit on the floor and place the soles of your feet together. Grasp your ankles and gently push your knees down with your elbows. Hold for 10 seconds. Where you'll feel it: Inner thighs

Calf stretch: From a standing position, step 2 feet forward with your left foot and bend your right knee. Bend at the waist, grab the front of your left foot, and pull it gently upward. (Place your free hand on a chair or wall for balance.) Hold for 10 seconds. Switch sides and repeat. Where you'll feel it: Calves

((NOTE: PHOTOS NOT AVAILABLE IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT))

FIRST EXERCISE SET (MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY)

1. Donkey kick: Get down on your hands and knees and kick your left leg back and up as high as you can. Finish by pulling your knee to your chest. Repeat on the other side. Works: Hamstrings, hip flexors

2. Dive-bomber pushup: Get into pushup position, but place your hands slightly wider than and in front of your shoulders, in line with your ears. Raise your hips and move your feet forward as far as possible, without bending your back or legs, and place your feet beyond shoulder-width apart. Move your chest down and forward until it nearly touches the floor and your shoulders are even with your hands. Pause, then push your hips down as you straighten your arms. Pause again, then reverse the movement until you've come back to the starting po-sition. Works: Chest, front deltoids, triceps

3. Dirty dog: Start on your hands and knees and raise your left leg to the side, keeping your knee bent. (Imagine a fire hydrant.) Pause, then return the leg to the starting po-sition. Repeat on the other side. Works: Outer-hip muscles

4. Lunge: Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your hands on your hips. Step forward with your left leg and lower your body until your left knee is bent 90 degrees and your right knee nearly touches the floor. Push yourself back up to the starting position and repeat with your right leg. Works: Quadriceps

5. Side straddle hop: Sounds manlier than a jumping jack, right? Stand with your feet together and your arms at your sides. Jump and land with your feet just beyond shoulder-width apart while clapping your hands to-gether overhead. Then jump back to the starting position. Works: Groin, shoulders, calves

6. Back extension: Lie facedown with your fingers behind your ears. Raise your upper body and legs off the floor. Pause, then lower yourself back to the starting position. Works: Lower back

7. Wide pushup: Get into pushup position, but place your hands about 5 inches wider than and in line with your shoulders. Keep your back flat. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor. Pause, then push back up to the starting position. Works: Chest, triceps, shoulders

8. Side crunch: Lie on your right side with your right arm across your chest and your left arm resting on your left side. Crunch your left armpit toward your left hip as you raise your legs off the floor. Pause, then return to the starting position. Repeat on the other side. Works: Abdominals, obliques

9. Crunch: Lie on your back with your knees and hips bent about 90 degrees, and cross your arms. Raise your upper body off the floor by crunching your rib cage toward your pelvis. Then lower yourself to the starting position. Works: Abdominals

SECOND EXERCISE SET (TUESDAY, THURSDAY)

1. Pushup: Get into pushup position--your hands set slightly wider than and in line with your shoulders--with your arms straight and your back flat. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor. Pause, then push yourself back up to the starting position. Works: Chest, front deltoids, triceps

2. Crunch: See exercise description number 9 (ABOVE).

3. Lunge: See exercise description number 4 (ABOVE).

4. Steam engine: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your fingers behind your ears. Touch your left elbow to your right knee by bending and raising the knee while crunching your left armpit toward your right hip. Return to the starting position and repeat to the opposite side, crunching your right armpit toward your left hip. Works: Hip flexors, midsection

5. Elbow-to-knee crunch: Lie on your back with your left foot flat on the floor and your right ankle resting on your left knee, your arms folded over your chest. Crunch your upper body toward your right side, touching your left elbow to your right thigh. Then slowly lower yourself to the starting position. Finish the set, then switch legs and repeat to the left side. Works: Abdominals, obliques

6. Prone flutter kick: Lie facedown on the floor with your legs straight and your arms in front of you. Raise your left leg off the floor as high as you can while your right leg remains stationary. Pause, then lower your left leg to the starting position. Repeat with your right leg. Works: Hamstrings, lower back

7. Hip adduction: Lie on your right side (support yourself on your right elbow) and place your left foot directly in front of your right knee. Raise your right leg as high as possible, squeezing your thighs together. Pause, then lower your right leg to the starting position and repeat. After you've finished the set, switch sides. Works: Inner thighs

8. Side leg raise: Lie on your right side (sup-port yourself on your right elbow) with your right knee bent and left leg straight. Raise your left leg about 18 inches, leading with the heel. Pause, then lower the leg to the starting position. Finish the set with that leg, then change sides and repeat with the other leg. Works: Muscles on the outer side of your hips and thighs

9. Diamond pushup: Get into traditional pushup position, but place your hands di-rectly under your chest with your index fingers and thumbs spread and touching; that's the diamond. Keep your back flat throughout the movement. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches your hands. Pause, then push your body back up to the starting position. Works: Triceps, shoulders

greensideout
02-13-03, 07:45 PM
Good evening girls,

Guess I'm getting old. I find it hard to relate to what you are talking about. Strange sounding names for exercise? In my day we just called it work.

We put hay in the barn one bale at a time. We dug fenceposts holes by hand. Chopped ice on the pond in the winter. Worked the garden in the summer. Feed livestock year round. Milked the cows before going to school. Rebuilt machinery and our cars as required.

At school we ran track, played basketball and baseball and boxed.

We did some fun things too, like taking judo lessons and helping build houses.

Have you thought about having a load of large rocks delivered to your backyard? Have it dumped on the side edge. Then spend all the spare time you have moving the rock to the other side as fast as you can. Pick it up, run with it and carefully lay it down. Run back for another and do it again. When you are done, move it back to the other side. Again and again.

Sound like work? Let's call it exercise. Real exercise!

Oh ya, then we joined the Marine Corps!

ktriplett
02-13-03, 08:27 PM
Up until a couple of years ago, I spent my life in the mountains near Yosemite National Park here in California. Fencepost holes were fun, but my favorite was taking the 25 pound maul and going to town on the firewood. Talk about some hard work. my dad has a hydraulic wood splitter, but I always figured that was for the ladies. Never like milking the cows, though. That end of the animal is not a safe place to be around! :)
Now that I'm in Los Angeles, there's not much firewood to be chopped, so these crazy exercises are necessary.

greensideout
02-13-03, 08:44 PM
You've got the right attitude ktriplett, stay the course!