PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post Slimes American Troops

thedrifter
02-01-07, 11:09 AM
Rightometer: Washington Post Slimes American Troops
by Matt Naugle — 02-01-2007 @ 11:00 AM

Washington Post: "Troops Should Be Happy We Don't Spit at Them"

This morning, conservative blogs are up in arms about Washington Post national security blogger William Arkin's brutal attack on this NBC News report, which quotes American troops who want Americans to support their mission. Here is an excerpt from Arkin's nonsense:

I’m all for everyone expressing their opinion, even those who wear the uniform of the United States Army. But I also hope that military commanders took the soldiers aside after the story and explained to them why it wasn’t for them to disapprove of the American people…

These soldiers should be grateful that the American public, which by all polls overwhelmingly disapproves of the Iraq war and the President’s handling of it, do still offer their support to them, and their respect.

Through every Abu Ghraib and Haditha, through every rape and murder, the American public has indulged those in uniform, accepting that the incidents were the product of bad apples or even of some administration or command order.

Sure it is the junior enlisted men who go to jail, but even at anti-war protests, the focus is firmly on the White House and the policy. We just don’t see very man “baby killer” epithets being thrown around these days, no one in uniform is being spit upon.…

We support them in every possible way, and their attitude is that we should in addition roll over and play dead, defer to the military and the generals and let them fight their war, and give up our rights and responsibilities to speak up because they are above society?…

If I weren’t the United States, I’d say the story end with a military coup where those in the know, and those with fire in their bellies, save the nation from the people.

But it is the United States and instead this NBC report is just an ugly reminder of the price we pay for a mercenary - oops sorry, volunteer - force that thinks it is doing the dirty work.

In 2003, Hugh Hewitt answered, "Who is William Arkin?"

Michelle Malkin wonders if Arkin is "auditioning for a Daily Kos diarist spot."

Power Line's John Hinderaker opines, "Arkin considers it an 'ugly' thing when a soldier says that critics of the war 'should come over and see what it's like firsthand before criticizing.' I think the real ugliness lies much closer to home."

Day by Day's Chris Muir, in today's cartoon, mocks Arkin for insulting American troops.

Hot Air's Allahpundit asks, "What does he have in mind when he describes the 'obscene amenities' that are being provided to soldiers in Iraq?"

Riech World View may have discovered that William Arkin produced an alerged forgery and and tried to pass it along to The Washington Times.

NRO Media Blog's Stephen Spruiell adds that frequently, conservative bloggers frequently exaggerate and claim the media is attacking the troops when its really some complaint about the mismanagement of the war or a "botched joke." But Spruiell adds, the outrage from conservative bloggers directed at Arkin is entirely warranted.

Captain's Quarters' Ed Morrissey is not happy:

Mercenary? Wow. Just wow. I suppose they shouldn't paid at all, Mr. Arkin?

Of course, the worst part of this -- besides the incoherent writing style -- is the characterization of the NBC report. Not one of the soldiers in the clip remotely suggested that Americans "give up their rights and responsibilities". They didn't say that George Bush should make everyone who opposes the war shut up, or else. They were asked about their take on people who say they support the troops but oppose the war, and they expressed their views.

Unfortunately, Mr. Arkin can't handle free speech. He incomprehensibly calls them mercenaries because they volunteered for the military, and apparently because they have the audacity to offer their opinions when asked.. (By definition, a mercenary is someone who hires himself out as a soldier for a nation not his own.)

Arkin finishes by suggesting that America rethink what it owes the troops, so I'll oblige. We owe them our support because they risk their lives to ensure that we retain our freedoms. They don't get paid all that well to do it, either, but they do it because they love our country. I'm fine with them expressing their opinions when reporters stick cameras in their faces and ask for them, even if they don't agree with me. I still respect them for what they do, which apparently is the difference between Arkin and myself.

Black Five opines, "William Arkin has just dropped a stellar entry in the biggest a**hole in America contest."

The QandO Blog adds, "What America is left to ponder is where pond scum like Arkin come from and how they land a gig with the Washington Post."

OPFOR's John is not happy with the Washington Post, "I've lost all respect for the Washington Post, the newspaper that I grew up reading. How they can consider themselves a serious publication after dripping this excrement over their pages is beyond me. For shame."

Ellie

thedrifter
02-01-07, 03:38 PM
http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/020107.jpg

Ellie

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-07, 03:52 PM
Many, many bloggers and other sites are now rightfully slamming this two bit hack. Who, by the way, has a long, lengthy list of left wing outfits he's worked for in the past. His prior military history was as 4 years, Army, supposedly in Intell.

I imagine this worthless ball of dog barf will soon be feeling major pain.

3077India
02-01-07, 05:09 PM
I'm all for Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press, but when those freedoms are used to attack our troops, to me that is tantamount to TREASON.:mad: