http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mpms/mission.htm

videos

http://dealers.gunvideo.com/DEALERS_pgrouplist.php?categoryid=197

wrbones
02-09-03, 01:13 AM
A Sniper’s Confession: The Importance of Competitive Shooting to Sniping

April 2000, tactical shooter magazine

By Kent Gooch, CWO2, USMC (ret)

Well before I became a sniper and sniper instructor – nearly 20 years ago -- there has been a rivalry, approaching an adversarial relationship, between the sniper community and High Power, NRA-type shooters in the military. I saw it when I was a Marine stationed at the USMC Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) in Quantico, Virginia in the 80’s and also at the National Guard Bureau MTU in Little Rock, Arkansas in the late 90’s. Often the rivalry was limited to good-humored ribbing; still a good portion of it was serious and said with malicious intent. Often, the banter turned into fisticuffs, with the resulting bad blood between the two communities. This is unfortunate, to say the least.

How many times have you heard these phrases uttered, "I don't care what those paper punchers do, this is sniping and it's an entirely different game!" Who needs to learn how to use a sling? That’s for those yellow glass shooters!" Or from team shooter "Hey sniper! When are you going to learn how to shoot?" and "I'm telling you it's easier to take a National Match Shooter and teach him infantry skills than it is to take a grunt and try to teach him how to shoot!" I have heard these and a lot more, and being familiar with both sides of the rivalry I have come to some conclusions. What I will do here is attempt to show, through my own experiences and historical examples, the importance of competitive shooting events to snipers and how the two shooting disciplines’ interrelate.

There used to be a sign in the classroom of the 3rd Marine Division Scout-Sniper School in Okinawa. It has been awhile, but I remember that it stated that a sniper was a hybrid of a poacher and a competitive shooter. At the time in 1980, the sign really didn't register; it was simply a phrase intended to motivate the students. I was a high expert M16 shooter and that, plus this sniper training I was about to undergo, was going to make me a steely-eyed killer. I graduated, kept training, shot the M16 annually, went on to graduate from the Quantico instructor course, and figured that I was one bad Marine who didn’t need any training in other rifle disciplines. I never really paid much attention to the USMC Competition in Arms program, which holds Division level competitions and culminates in the Marine Corps matches and results in the selection of that year’s "All Marine Corps" teams. I saw the funny looking leg medals and kinda wondered what those distinguished shooters badges were about.

Once I got stationed at the USMC MTU I cohabited with the Marine Corps shooting teams. I made a few friends on the teams and started getting curious about this "competitive shooting" thing. I started talking to the team shooters and some of the more senior ones even taught me some tricks. Unfortunately, during the eight years I was stationed at the MTU, I only shot one rifle match, the 1000-yard stage of the Virginia State Championships. I wanted to see what the deal was. It was a good experience, and it wetted my appetite for later down the road.

In 1989, I was promoted to Warrant Officer and made a Range Officer. USMC Range Officers supervise marksmanship training and are responsible for the training and management of small shooting teams throughout the Corps. Many of the top enlisted rifle and pistol shooters are put into this military occupational specialty. I was selected due to my training background and was expected to get up to speed on the competitive aspects of the USMC marksmanship program. So at my first duty station I was appointed to be team captain of the shooting team at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, CA. Mare Island is the original location of the West Coast Boot Camp and had a tradition of fine shooting teams back to the early 1900's. I was lucky to work with a Staff Sergeant who was an experienced competitive shooter and despite my best efforts to mess things up we put together a team, trained and went to shoot the 1st Marine Division matches in Camp Pendleton.

How did I – one bad sniper – do? You could say that in his first attempt at NRA style Service Rifle shooting this old sniper didn't do so well. In fact, I ended up about halfway down out of about 200 shooters. To understand why I did so poorly, you have to understand what I, a "tactical" shooter, thought about marksmanship and competition:

I thought I knew what precision marksmanship was about.
I thought I knew how to read wind.
I thought I knew what precision shooting under pressure was like.
I was wrong. On all three counts.

While I had a good idea of what was going on, I was only at about a sophomoric level, learned yet stupid. Most of the mistakes I made that first year were mental errors, not physical. I knew shooting positions, I knew wind formulas, and I knew how to press a trigger. The problem was in the application of these aspects, which had kept me at a mediocre level of competitive shooting. Let me explain.

Precision Marksmanship. When training snipers, many times instructors espouse the idea of precision being that as long as the students keep the bullet in the chest they are doing well. In competitive shooting, matches are won and lost in the X-ring. This elusive little sucker can ruin your day if you don't think center instead of a hit in the middle somewhere. What competitive shooting does is develop the mindset during training that if your weapons system is capable of holding .5 minute of angle (MOA), then you should be getting .5 MOA out of it when firing from the shoulder. I found as well that competitive shooting shows you the difference between a good position and a correct position. Not only that but it also shows you that through proper trigger control, position and mental management a shooter can regularly hit a man-sized target from the standing unsupported position at 200 yards and prone at the 600 yardline with iron sights and no support other than a correct position and a little leather strap.

Reading wind. As a sniper you learn how to read wind for your partner. You glue your eye into the scope and casually take a guess at the mirage, grass blowing, whatever. As the shot fires you watch the trace and impact and make required corrections. In competitive shooting you are your own wind caller. You must get the wind right or that little X-ring will elude you enough to put you right out of the competition. On rapid-fire strings you have to be fast, sure and accurate. You have to learn to watch flags, mirage, grass and any other indicators you can find. And when you make a mistake, it's your butt, your embarrassment, and your miss at 3 or 9 o'clock. The ultimate test of this, in my mind, is the 1000 yard match (relax you benchresters). It's in these matches where you are on the line with your peers playing a mental game. Here the X-ring is 10 inches and only the best will nail the sucker on a regular basis while reading their own wind.

Pressure. There are few stressors as evil as competition. When shooting a qualification course you may feel a little stress, when you are shooting for high shooter in a school you may feel even more. But show up to a firing line full of strangers, some of who look like they really know what they are doing. They have high speed looking guns and bright shiny reloads and their shooting jackets have patches from hell all over them. Each shot is spotted and scored and as your points accumulate the stress can start. Each firing line it gets worse and worse, unless you learn to handle it. That is when you will have to learn to deal with stress.

My experiences with High Power shooting impressed upon me the importance of NRA-style competition for a tactical shooter. That does not mean that I believe a High Power shooter in the tactical arena, when compared with the tactical shooter in the High Power arena, will outperform the tactical shooter. Quite the contrary. The proficient tactical shooter should be able to make that X-ring-accurate shot with monotonous regularity, but against live, moving targets whose comrades will shoot back upon successful interdiction. And this does not include the terribly strenuous infiltration and exfiltration necessary for a successful sniper engagement. In short, competitive shooting does not encompass the "poaching" skills referred to on the sign in Okinawa. What I mean is that the proficient sniper can, and should, learn from the High Power shooter, if he is to be a better sniper. This is important, for there is no second place in the sniper’s arena. Only death.

continued

wrbones
02-09-03, 01:14 AM
Since I left the USMC I began shooting in the Canadian Forces Small Arms Championships in Ottawa, Canada. These matches are open to civilians through the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association (www.dcra.ca) which is the Canadian equivalent of the NRA. CFSAC is an excellent example of how bulls-eye competition can be crossbred with combat style skills. Competitors in service rifle/pistol, sniper rifle and light machinegun categories are required to apply precision marksmanship skills in combat oriented courses of fire at extended ranges while under conditions of physical and mental stress. My favorite is the 300m "Agony Snaps". In this match you are assigned a sector of fire in which a "Hun head" sniper target is presented randomly for engagement. The hard part of this is that you don’t know when or where the target will appear only that you will have ten, 3-second exposures in around 10 minutes, plus you have about a 4 inch 5 ring you are hunting. Just when you close your eyes to relax, sure as hell, there it is. The US National Guard runs a similar competition (American Forces Skill at Arms Meeting) in Little Rock, Arkansas annually, however it is not open to civilians.

CFSAC has given me the opportunity to compete against international level shooters and has allowed me to see other countries weapons systems and operational techniques. The firing positions used by Canadian Forces service rifle shooters are a good example of things that can be learned by attending these competitions. These positions, which violate just about every rule in the NRA High Power manual, are very interesting and are worth an article by themselves.

Another type of international competition worth mentioning are the Super Sniper Shootouts put on by Autauqa Arms. These matches draw competitors from all over the world and are a sure way of testing yourself against the best the world has to offer.

Though my own experiences impressed upon me the importance of competitive shooting to sniping, a review of the history of military marksmanship would have led me to the same conclusion. Let’s look at the military side of the question, which, if we are honest, keeps a good portion of the US competitive rifle-shooting program going. I'll focus on the USMC as it is the most active of the services, and I know it well.

The USMC did not have a competitive program prior to 1900. In a letter he wrote to he NRA in 1943, Lt. Gen. Thomas Holcomb, Commandant of the Marine Corps during W.W.II, and a Distinguished Rifle shooter, said the following:

I was introduced to the N.R.A. in 1901. It was a rude introduction because our team was soundly trounced, finishing sixth in both the Hilton Trophy Match and Interstate Team Match-events, which the following year, were combined into the National Rifle Team Match. Naturally, we did not relish such a poor showing so we set out to learn how to shoot. By 1910 the Inspector of Small Arms Practice, U.S.M.C., reported proudly that "over one-third of the men in the Marine Corps are now qualified as marksmen, sharpshooters or expert riflemen!" How many of the present generation of officers realize that in those days the Army, Navy and Marine Corps were actually learning how to shoot from the civilians and civilian-soldiers who formed the backbone of the National Rifle Association? In 1911 the Marines won their first National Rifle Team Match, and by 1917 we had progressed so far along the marksmanship trail that every Marine who sailed overseas was a trained marksman.

General Holcomb and his men were not the only Marines lacking in sufficient rifle technique at the turn of the century. In the Sept 1971 MARINE CORPS GAZETTE, USMC shooting legend LtCol. W.W. McMillan wrote, "In 1899, Commandant Heywood was appalled to learn that less than a hundred Marines, officers and men, could not meet qualification requirements with the then current Krag Jorgenson rifle. By direction of Major C.H. Lauchheimer, the Corps proceeded to take shooting seriously, both for combat purposes and competition. Marksmanship became a highly prized skill and valued adjunct to leadership."

Prior to World War I, Marines like Calvin A. Lloyd, D.C. McDougal and then-2ndLt Thomas Holcomb advanced the respectability of match shooting, while pioneering instructional techniques and training methods for a far flung expeditionary Corps. In 1906 Marines began getting the M1903 Springfield rifle. Those who could shoot expert with it were rewarded with marksmanship qualification pay of $3.00 per month.

The focus on rifle competition within the Corps reaped dividends in the coming years in Mexico, Cuba, Haiti and in the wheatfields of France. One of the better descriptions of the effects of improved marksmanship through competition is by CPT John Thomason, Jr. in his W.W.I USMC classic "FIX BAYONETS." "The Bosche wanted Hill 142; he came and the rifles broke him and he came again. All his artillery was in action and his machineguns scoured the place, but he could not make headway against the rifles. Guns he could understand; he knew all about bombs and auto-rifles and machine-guns and trench mortars, but aimed sustained rifle fire that comes from nowhere in particular and picks men off- it brought the war home to the individual and demoralized him". And "Already around Hautevesnes there had been a brush with advancing Germans, and the Germans were given a new experience: rifle fire that begins to kill at 800 yards; they found it very interesting!"

One need not take my word for it, or even the historical experiences of the USMC, to appreciate the importance of marksmanship competition to sniping, one need only looked at the life and experiences of Gunny Hathcock, himself a top-ranked competitive shooter and a very successful sniper. Through competition -- whether High Power, under the auspices of the NRA, or the Super Sniper Shootout – you can hone your skills and become the shooter that the bad guys have to worry about.

( A note: The Canadians have some of the best snipers in the world )

firstsgtmike
02-09-03, 06:25 AM
I don't know enough to comment on the article, although it seems logical that competitive shooting uses the x-bull and sniper shooting focuses on a chest hit.

My comment is on B.R.A.S.S. I had always thought that it was the acronym for Breathe, Relax, Aim, SLACK, Squeeze.

I was taught, no, not as a sniper, that after aiming, you took up the trigger slack before squeezing off a round.

If that's wrong, I owe a drill instructor six thumps, two kicks, and a punch to the gut. He said I wasn't taking up the slack before squeezing.

wrbones
02-09-03, 12:53 PM
I remeber being taught to 'Stop'. We were suppossed to recheck everything. Sight alignment/sight picture in particular.

MillRatUSMC
02-09-03, 01:48 PM
Picking up the slack would translated as "Stop" in B.R.A.S.S
Breathe, Relax,Aim, Stop, Squeeze.
FIRE if all was correct, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture depending on the "hold" 6 o'clock, center of mass, or the flat tire hold, correct settings on the sights, would result in a bull-eye hit on the target.

Semper Fidelis from an old PMI
Ricardo

02-09-03, 06:36 PM
S L A C K with a M-14 in '64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWA the .17 HMR that I shoot today.

Take care-Steve

SHOOTER1
02-09-03, 08:01 PM
Rifle team coach 29 Stumps 62, Breath.Relax,Aim, Slack, Squeeze, and in that year, we took on All civilians at the 1000 yd range, us using m-14s, open sights, them, using anysight, any rifle, we beat them soundly, I can hit a running deer at 300 yds,actually used to , old eyes now, have shot Police Pistol Compatition for years, NRA certified Master, but I sure would not go up against our Marine Corps Snipers,they rock.

greensideout
02-09-03, 08:33 PM

The .17 HMR was developed in Lexington, Mo. by gunsmith Kopp in the mid 80's. No one at that time belived it to become a popular round. Mr. Kopp would re-barrel 22 mag's with his .17 cal.
He also would pull 22 mag bullets from the 22 mag case and would neck then down to 17. He would then reload and sell the ammo for his "Kopp 22 Mag".

It was popular here with the locals for varmit hunting.

A side note.---Lexington, MO. was the sight of a civil war battle and still has a canon ball stuck in the front of the courthouse that faces the missouri river.

I thought you might enjoy that tid-bit.

As for the rest of you, get out on the range and keep those skills alive!

Semper Fi

Chevy2233
02-12-03, 12:54 PM
wrbones: I checked out the link to 7point62design.com. There is a lot of cool shirts on there and I was wondering what you Marines think about us poolees wearing Marine Corps attire.

wrbones
02-12-03, 01:28 PM
That's an interesting question. I'd think as long as it didn't imply that you are a Marine or involved anything from a Marine uniform it ought to be ok. I wouldn't use anything that had unit designations on it if it were me bein' yer age.

...but that's just my opinion.

Chevy2233
02-12-03, 09:08 PM
I have a t-shirt that says "Marines" on the front chest and on the back it says "Pain is weakness leavint the body" and I wasn't sure how Marines felt about me wearing it. Thanks wrbones.

greensideout
02-12-03, 09:31 PM
If it says Poolee, wear it.

If it says Marine, Wait till you earn it.

You will understand after boot.

I hope you can earn the right to wear, " Marine ".

Alexander Haile
02-12-03, 09:35 PM
When our Marine Instructor teaches us in our firing range, he uses the "Slack" term too. I however just tell my team to pick up the D*MN rifle, and send a shot down range into the center of the target or ill have them PT till they puke up thanksgiving. HaHa...

Alexander Haile
02-12-03, 09:37 PM
What about a shirt saying, "Marines!" (Plural) then it is more of an advertisement, rather than a label?

Chevy2233
02-12-03, 09:49 PM
It says "Marines". i wea it in support of Marines not becasue I want people to think that I am a Marine.

If there were any shirts that said Pollee I would buy one, but as far as I know, there isn't any, or I haven't seen any.

ktriplett
02-12-03, 09:55 PM
When we were finished at MEPS, they gave us the poolee shirts, which say Marines on the front, and a couple of different things on the back ("Pain is weakness leaving the body" & "Choose a place among the few"). The recruiters want us to wear them at the Poolee functions, and at things like this 5k some of us are doing on Sunday. That's the only Marines shirt I wear, until I earn the right to the title.

thedrifter
02-12-03, 09:55 PM
I agree with greensidout..........Once you graduate Boot Camp and have earned the Title United States Marine......than you can proudly wear any Marine apparel.

Our reputation is the best advertisement that there is.......This is my opinion..........

The Drifter

Alexander Haile
02-12-03, 10:09 PM
MEPS, huh? I guess I'll have to go get one! are they for sale?

Alexander Haile
02-12-03, 10:12 PM
I guess it's the same reason why the inspection crew that came to our ROTC had a problem with our NCO's blood stripes. too thick they said...

Alexander Haile
02-12-03, 10:14 PM
We also have chevrons that have the Lamp of Learning, rather than crossed rifles... I know none of the cadets have earned crossed rifles, but the lamp is kinda weird... every time i look at it, i dont think USMCROTC cadet, I think Aladin and the magic carpet! ha ha

ktriplett
02-12-03, 11:00 PM
For sale? <gasp> They gave it to us because we made it through. I don't think they're for sale.

Seeley
02-12-03, 11:05 PM
wrbones: I just got around t reading your post and it was an interesting read. Thanks :).

poolees: I wear gear that displays the word Marine and "Marines" etc. but I wear it to rifle and drill meets. Usually I wear my KWMCJROTC Rifle Team shirt (Kentwood Marine Corps Junior Reserves Officer Training Corps). It has the Marine Corps emblem on the back side and a devil dog on the front. I feel that as long as you are not trying to impersonate a Marine you should be okay. Thats my opinion though and I know it doesn't really matter :).

Alexander Haile: I know what you mean about the lamps! They are pretty strange indeed. One guy started making fun of me last year when I was a c/PFC with just a huge lamp on my collar and so I just started talking some crap back in the most tactful manner I believe I have ever done something and the results were worth millions. He just stood there and looked stupid, then everyone laughed at him and he couldn't come back with something so he left :).

wrbones
02-13-03, 02:53 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=854

I was wrong. It was in open squad bay.

Speakin' of which.....

skwhite3056pi
10-26-09, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies; very informative. WRBONES, what a great piece you wrote! A friend of mine was discounting the practice of the brass system. He insisted that you "drop" the site on the target and snap it instead of squeezing. I told him I felt he was incorrect, that the only time one might drop the site on a target and do a fast "squeeze" was when shooting offhand and probably in a combat situation. At least that's the way I was taught at PI in 1968. My shooting was great as long as I was able to maintain a secure, fixed position, but I had a heck of time scoring points in the offhand position. This is when the good Staff/Sgt. instructed me on offhand shooting; if you wait too long trying to acquire the perfect site picture you're all over the target. A fast sqeeze, when you were close to "crossing" the aim point worked wonders for me, and definitely helped me in Vietnam.

Petz
10-26-09, 08:51 AM
What the hell are you talking about!!!! this is a 6 year old thread... you don't go around bringing this stuff up out of the graveyard like that. These people probably aren't even here except for thedrifter and greensideout (whom I haven't seen in months).

you've been a member for over 3 years and have only three posts...

skwhite3056pi
10-26-09, 02:15 PM
My apologies. I posted a question a month or so ago regarding the b.r.a.s.s. system. There were replies, and I saved one to my desktop. When I opened it up and reviewed it, I saw the postings by the aforementioned Marines, and did not check dates as to the age of the comments. Truthfully, I'm not sure what happened to cause this, other than an obvious ignorance of negotiating the web-site, which I will correct. Nothing was dragged out of the graveyard intentially.

I read much more than I write, which explains my very limited postings.